PPV bomb drops on Feb 1st

Lemmings - what on earth did you expect??! Even if it's not true now, it will be soon. Where did you think this whole thing was going? Did you think HDCP & DRM were invented to "enhance" our viewing experience or to fill the Hollywood coffers?

We live in an age where power is everything and the voice of conscience is diminishing at an alarming rate. Look for even more control over media entertainment in the coming years.

If it is true, I wonder what will happen with movies already archived to the ext HDD?

Very good question. They may not let you go to another hard drive with a ppv movie. I don't know. Good question.

Well, Bluray sucks big time. Not exactly the technology, rather the company (Sony). These people are always trying to trap the consumer into having to buy their products by making them proprietary.
Remember the betamax? They made the Betamax and wouldn’t license the technology to anyone. Their thinking was they could then sell the thing for whatever price they liked with no competition from anyone. Unfortunately for them, the company that held the rights for VHS was willing to license it to everyone. The end result was that when people went to the store for a recorder, the Betamax was lost among the dozens of VHS recorders on the store shelves. We all know what ultimately happened which was the Betamax was relegated to history’s junk pile, all due to the greed of Sony.

Remember Microchannel architecture? IBM tried the same tactic but lost out to ISA.

Sony is trying to pull this same crap again with their Bluray technology and if successful, they will be the only ones selling the players and they’ll be able to charge whatever their amount greedy little minds come up with.

They’re also attempting to do this with a proprietary competitor to the next generation USB standard.

Anytime there's only a single source for a technology, the consumer is the one that suffers.
Populist gabage.
Why have a snit over the fact that company made a sound business decision.
let's say you for instance invented a product and prepared all the paperwork to claim sole rights to that product,it's R&D, developement and marketing for certain period of time and justr read your reaction to this, what would you think about that?
Try putting the shoe on the other foot before typing.

What's wrong with populism? Who decreed that corporations should have more rights than individuals?

Corporations have a right to a business model and you have the right not to buy what they are selling. The version of "populism" that claims otherwise is "wrong".

if corporations had no rights to what they design/build, why would they bother? the first thing in mind for them is their financial bottem line. i mean, would any of you show up to work if you knew you wouldnt get paid?

Corporations have a right to a business model and you have the right not to buy what they are selling. The version of "populism" that claims otherwise is "wrong".

I'm NOT buying PPVs, as a matter of fact I've stated before that it's a stupid way to see movies and should be abolished as a waste of bandwidth. But for people who have purchased them, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to record them permanently as they do any other video source.

This is typical of the slimeballs who are raking in billions of $$ from all their TV/Movie/DVD enterprises. They aren't happy raping us for $54.95 for a boxing match- Now they want it erased? TheGREED factor is so high I think the top H-wood bosses should be shot. HBO is another sorry a*s GREEDY corp. What gets me is how ALL of them are NEVER satisfied with billions of $ profits as they always want more. Scumbags!!

What's wrong with populism? Who decreed that corporations should have more rights than individuals?
Anything taken to extreme is bad. And the way the poster repiled to this was populism run amok.
What gives you the impression that there was an implication on my part that corporations or businesses have "more rights" than individuals?
Sony operated under the rules and laws.
If you don't like it, contact your legislators and urge them to change the laws. OR....Don't buy the product until the copyright expires..always does. That's the law.

I'm NOT buying PPVs, as a matter of fact I've stated before that it's a stupid way to see movies and should be abolished as a waste of bandwidth. But for people who have purchased them, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to record them permanently as they do any other video source.
"Abolished"?....'Scuse me?....Why should a completely legitimate method of presenting media be abolished?

This is typical of the slimeballs who are raking in billions of $$ from all their TV/Movie/DVD enterprises. They aren't happy raping us for $54.95 for a boxing match- Now they want it erased? TheGREED factor is so high I think the top H-wood bosses should be shot. HBO is another sorry a*s GREEDY corp. What gets me is how ALL of them are NEVER satisfied with billions of $ profits as they always want more. Scumbags!!
No one is raping anyone...We have the choice to buy or not to buy.
The value of a good, service or product is only the price which one is willing to pay.
If the price is too high. We all decide not to buy. The demand goes down, so does the price.
On to the the movie business....There is so much theft of intellectual and entertainment property, it is incredible...
I have a friend who is an English teacher in S. Korea. Let me put it this way, he gets his hands on DVD copies of movies months before they are available here in the states. The US copyright laws mean nothing overseas. There is a huge black market for movies and music.
That said, while Iam no fan of the Hollywood elite, it comes as no surprise the entertaiment industry is doing what ever it takes to protect it's turf.

I'd probably buy 5 or 10 PPV a month if they were $1 each.

At $4 to $5 each, I'd rather just use my blockbuster service...unlimited for $17 a month.

Thank you sir, JimS.

My post is accurate but there is no source to post. That is what information from the inside is all about. I guess I will be vindicated on Friday and this all turns out to be TRUE.

Thank you sir, JimS.

My post is accurate but there is no source to post. That is what information from the inside is all about. I guess I will be vindicated on Friday and this all turns out to be TRUE.

I'm not doubting you man. Sorry about some of the people that were being dicks. You were just trying to post what you had heard (hell we all love rumors around this place, that is part of the fun). This just happens to be one of the rumors that if true sucks. I rent alot of PPVs and really enjoy the fact that I can save them forever on my external hard drive. Either way (true or false) I appreciate you sharing what you heard from the inside and I hope that this didn't discourage you from posting in the future.

All you people making fun of the original poster -- yeah, I certainly agree it's not a good idea to trust stories with no proof, but on the other hand do you really trust businesses not to do things which go against the public interest?

It's not a question of trust. "Trust no one"-King Herod

It's just ludicrous, that's all.

No one is going to tell anyone to "erase" programs from anyone's DVR.

People would drop Dish Network so fast, that the company would be out of business by the end of the month.

I don't doubt any sort of future policy could occur with any sort of restrictions about what you could do with future PPVs.

But not with PPV's already paid for.

It sounds like a classic urban myth story (hence the references to alligators and kidneys...).

I do not rent PPV's, I think the movie packages are a much better bang for the buck especially since that is where all the PPV movies go eventually anyways. I would say that many people, including myself, are more likely to purchase a PPV if we can keep it stored on the hard drive as long as we like. If not then I can see fewer people purchasing them. I just hope they do not start doing this for those that record movies from the movie packages that they order.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)