PPV Commercials getting louder?

Purogamer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 19, 2005
Mentor, Ohio
Over the past few weeks i've had to run into my living room to turn down the tv because Dish PPV commercials come on and they're about twice as loud as any other show/commercial out there. Plus the terrible "punk music" background doesn't help. Anyone else notice this? The Kelly Slater surfing ppv, King of the Cage, and another surfing commercial are what i've noticed so far.

yep, I've noticed it. Very annoying when trying to put a baby to sleep and the tv starts blaring the PPV commercial.

Also those Countrywide Home Loan commercials are loud too. It seems all the commercials inserted by Dish are louder than the program audio. I must say that the audio consistancy throughout all channels is the worst it has been on Dish, perhaps ever. Even my LIL's vary among channels.

Its been that way for over 2 - 3 months now, the countrywide ones are doing as are other commercials now but I wont be dealing with it after tomorrow.

I noticed that too,today while watching the Yankees-Braves game I dozed off. That Kelly Slater PPV commericial scared the hell out of me.

As long as I have had Dish those inserts have always been louder than the actual channel... With my Bose unit it matches the audio pretty good, but in the bedroom it will blast you out of bed when the Dish inserts hit the air... CC

Ok, so we all agree, there really is a serious problem regarding audio levels and Dish customer satisfaction. So, I am too lazy, so can someone please email Dish and tell 'em to fix it? Thanks

So they can update all the audio in the next software update and it gets worse? Should never have been changed in the first place. I think that's why Dish does all these things, so that they can fix something and charge us another buck...

Would the ceo email be the best place to send an email?

Puro, its the same issue that cable companies have when they insert commercials and when you go from channel to channel, thankfully the channel to channel part hasnt happened to you guys yet, as for me I put service on hold for the next 2 months and will probably cancel altogether in a few weeks.

Since I have low vision I am no tech when it comes to video, but audio is a whole different ballgame... If E* has their audio set correct at the headend which includes processing and such we as viewers should not even notice any difference from the actual channel or E's inserts... That said there are a lot of issues with the inserts... My guess is that they are about 3db louder than the feed is... CC

It is not uncommon for advertisers to increase volume on ads, there is actually research that shows that this technique can increase the attention the ads get, for example, alot of people get up and get a snack or, otherwise look away from the TV until their show comes on, the thinking is that the loudness will cause the viewer to look at the screen due to the sudden volume differential, or come running from the other room, to turn the volume back down, which usually it's human nature to look at the screen in the process, it makes them 'stand out'.

Of course this does not preclude the possibllity that it was just a badly mixed commercial.

Last edited:
With the exception of these new commercials (all dish ppv, not just one), I don't notice ANY fluctuation in volume on any show/commercial...

Commercial programmers have been doing this for years, it's a marketing tactic, as mentioned above by damaged...has nothing to do with Dish, or your equipment...the audio track on the commercial is made by the production company which produces the commercial and they are the ones who record it at the louder volume. More modern TVs have the technology to automatically sense the increases in the volume and adjust it for you.

In my opinion, local car dealership commercials with sirens, horns, and screaming pitchmen are THE WORST!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)