PPV Movie: 2 Hrs of DISH Logo - NO REFUND!

geekboy2000

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Philly Suburbs, PA
I set my VIP-722 to record "Next" in HD at 5:00 AM a few days ago. The DVR offered me the "record once" option as usual, and I accepted the $4.99 charge. Yesterday, when I went to play it, I saw 2 HRS of the DISH Network logo and no movie. The CS rep told me that they do not credit back PPV movie charges, for ANY reason. So, beware. If you spend $3.99, $4.99, or a heck of a lot more for a PPV sporting event, recorded or watched in real time, and you get NOTHING, you get NO CREDIT! I have to hunt down Charlie's email address. This is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. I have previously recorded PPV movies, and they worked just fine. According to the CS Rep, "This is not a service we provide. It's outside of your DISH Network package, and what airs or what doesn't is beyond our control. I'm sorry, but I cannot help you".:eek:

Last edited:
Just one more reason to get rid of these damn channels and add some REAL hd!!

I got a very nice reply, and a credit on my account. The explanation I was given, was:

The reason you may have recorded the DISH Network logo instead of the
movie is because the "All Day" Pay-Per-View (PPV) do not run 24 hours
from when the movie is ordered, they run from 5:00 am one day to 5:00 am
the next day. If you ordered the PPV before 5:00 am, the time frame
would have run out and it would have recorded the DISH logo.

I asked for clarification, as I don't understand that at all. Isn't it always before 5:00 AM the next day? I'll post back if/when I get a response back.

It's saying that the movie "schedule" is from 5am-5am.. Not 24 hours availability from the time YOU rent the movie..

So at 10pm (persay) when you told it to record at 5am, it was still a viable "all day" movie.. But at 5am when it "reset" the schedule (for lack of a better term) it was no longer part of the "all day" rental that you purchased.
I think there should be a warning about this when you try to set a timer for an "all day" movie in a time period after your "all day" time has expired.

It's saying that the movie "schedule" is from 5am-5am.. Not 24 hours availability from the time YOU rent the movie..

So at 10pm (persay) when you told it to record at 5am, it was still a viable "all day" movie.. But at 5am when it "reset" the schedule (for lack of a better term) it was no longer part of the "all day" rental that you purchased.
I think there should be a warning about this when you try to set a timer for an "all day" movie in a time period after your "all day" time has expired.

If that's true, and I'm betting it is (thanks for the translation), then yes, absolutely, there should be a warning, or perhaps it should disallow setting such a timer at all.

Thanks!
Mark

If that's true, and I'm betting it is (thanks for the translation), then yes, absolutely, there should be a warning, or perhaps it should disallow setting such a timer at all.

Thanks!
Mark

And I cant see that being more than say, 5 lines of code, to add on all PVR recievers...

You should pay DiSH $4.99 not to watch that POS movie. Seriously the Dish logo has more plot! I watched that movie on a plane flying to Florida, I almost stepped outside.

A question to anybody: Hasn't Dish let anybody have an extra day of the same movie if there was a problem and complaint?

I understand no refunds as it would open a flood gate of potential cheaters trying to get free movies but giving a second 24 hours of the same movie to the same customer shouldn't be much of a temptation to potential scammers.

Thanks seminole2001. I was half thinking of renting it at Blockbuster. As a Nicolas Cage fan, it's rare (IMO) that he makes a bad film. But given you'd rather leap to your death than watch it, I'll save my $5. :)

It's a shame, but I'm really gun shy now about setting any PPV event to record. It's not as if the offerings are all that great anyway, and with a Blockbuster about 2 miles from the house, I might as well just go there. The movies might stink, but at least there's a pretty good chance it won't be 2 hours of the Blockbuster logo on the DVD. I still don't really understand the whole scenario. The guide should be the "Bible", without exception or special conditions. If I browse the guide and choose to record a movie where the title of the movie appears in a time slot 4 days from now, I should be able to watch that movie immediately after it records, or a week later. If PPV events can't be recorded or watched days ahead, they shouldn't appear on the guide, and a clear warning should be presented when you attempt to purchase the movie.

Mark