PPV Movie Expired

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

inazsully

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Sun City West, AZ
This probably doesn't have anything specifically to do with the Hopper but since I have the Hopper I thought I'd post here. Over the past year I have transferred a dozen or so PPV movies from my Hopper hard drive to my external hard drive. Never a problem and they never expired. Until now. I transferred "The Lego" movie and went to watch it several days later. It showed that it was expired. Every other previous PPV movie is still intact and watchable on my external hard drive. Has something changed? Past experience led me to think that Dish could not go into and negate a recording on a external hard drive.

I would guess "The Lego" had a time limit that was probably disclosed when you ordered it. It isn't played by the hard drive it is decoded and played by the receiver. Who can you blame for not playing back the recording you made?

Sounds like Dish squashed that bug. Time limit PPVs are supposed to expire, no matter where they are stored.

Well I. wouldn't exactly call it MY loop hole. It just was what it was. I first tried it with Zero Dark Thirty and it did not expire from my EHD. It's still there along with The Wolverine, Fast and Furious 6, 2 Guns, Percy Jackson, Dallas BuyersClub, Enders Game, Last Vegas, The Hobbit, and most recently, She. I called Dish after the first movie and a CR said the it looks like EHD can't be effected by Dish, so I've been building library. No big deal, I was just wondering what changed. Unfortunately for me we'll now need to rent The Lego Movie from Red Box.

I would guess "The Lego" had a time limit that was probably disclosed when you ordered it. It isn't played by the hard drive it is decoded and played by the receiver. Who can you blame for not playing back the recording you made?
If you read my question I'm not blaming anybody, just asking a question. Obviousy I was aware of the time limit, that's why I wondered why it was in play now but not for my previous 10 recordings.

Wow, you rent a lot of movies. I guess this answers the question we had in another thread about how many people still rent PPVs.

I rented a VOD once and it stayed on my DVR for months. It must have just been a software error since I didn't even transfer it to my EHD.

If you read my question I'm not blaming anybody, just asking a question. Obviousy I was aware of the time limit, that's why I wondered why it was in play now but not for my previous 10 recordings.

I'm gonna say there was a glitch and Dish finally fixed it. That's what makes the most sense to me.

I rented a VOD once and it stayed on my DVR for months. It must have just been a software error since I didn't even transfer it to my EHD.
IIRC, (I don't rent movies) the idea was that a 48 hour countdown started after you started watching it. You could store it 'forever' up to that point.

I'm wondering that since the Hopper decides you have watched a recording if at any time during the actual recording you peek just to see if it was, in fact, recording, that it had decided that The Lego Movie had been "watched" and started the countdown to destruction.

I just got off the phone with a Dish CR. She told me that you have 24 hours after you start watching or recording the movie before it expires. I did not mention the EHD situation I've had in the past. She was actually rather unfriendly and gave me the impression that I should have known this. When I said I thought it was 48 hours she said, well now you know. I wonder how much business Dish does with their PPV's.

I've used promotional certificates to rent ppv and it's 24 hours after you start watching or whenever the ppv window ends (example, I rented a ppv in April but didn't watch it until a couple of weeks ago, I believe its expiration was 6/24

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Different movies have different expiration times *after* you start watching them. They also have different time lengths that they can be saved before you can watch (they can expire even without you watching them).

I've had PPVs that were *supposed* to expire in 24-48 hours that I was able to watch months later. It was clearly a glitch.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Blame the movie owner for the confusing expiration dates and differences in how long they can be stored before expiring....

That's your basic DRM. Redbox was talking about doing digital movies on USB drives, with set times to expire, but after all the people posting about what a mess that would be, I haven't heard any more news on it. That was about 2 years or so ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)