PPV vs VOD

mfoster711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
College Station, Tx
Why does Dish have both? It seems like VOD would be the ideal way to go since you get to watch your movie immediately instead of having to wait for a start time.

Also, why does Dish charge so darn much for these rentals. I know, I know....because they can. But seriously, at $6-$8 for a movie I am only going to do this once a month at most. But, if they were $3-$4 I would be much more likely to get several a month.

Lastly, why are my PPV certificates not good for VOD?

VOD is only available on DVR receiver because it is stored on the hard drive of the receiver, and some receivers do not have a hard drive. Customers without a DVR can still access PPV though

PPV does not require an internet connection; which some people either don't have or is so slow that instant would not really be instant. As for the price well all the content providers are pretty much the same.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

VOD is only available on DVR receiver because it is stored on the hard drive of the receiver, and some receivers do not have a hard drive.

Why is that? Or perhaps I should ask this. Have you heard any scuttlebutt regarding adding VOD streaming to non DVRs? I don't see why this wouldn't be technically possible for those of us with adequate bandwidth such as myself. ;)

Knightfolk said:
PPV does not require an internet connection; which some people either don't have or is so slow that instant would not really be instant. As for the price well all the content providers are pretty much the same.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Isn't vod downloaded off the sat and not your home Internet. to order vod u also must have a phone line or broadband to be able order. ppv can be done that way as well and you can also order it via website and phone

Why is that? Or perhaps I should ask this. Have you heard any scuttlebutt regarding adding VOD streaming to non DVRs? I don't see why this wouldn't be technically possible for those of us with adequate bandwidth such as myself. ;)

The non-DVRs don't need a hard drive to function as designed. I haven't heard anything about adding VOD/streaming to non-DVRs

Isn't vod downloaded off the sat and not your home Internet. to order vod u also must have a phone line or broadband to be able order. ppv can be done that way as well and you can also order it via website and phone

There's "Push" VOD, and IPVOD. Push VOD is what we automatically download to the receivers at night. IPVOD is the streaming content that requires an internet connection

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts