PPV with DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RCBrust

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Haven't tried recording a PPV movie yet and was wondering how it works. Do you buy it when you program the recording, or when you view it. I want to make sure that if I tell it to record something at 2AM it doesn't sit there and expect me to tell it to go ahead and make the purchase. Also, once it's recorded, does it stay until I erase it or once it's viewed, it's gone.

Thanks,
Randy

You can schedule the recording like you would anything else. Once you start to view it, you purchase it. Or you can watch the first 5 minutes for free. So if you record it and then just change your mind and delete it, you don't pay for it.

Does it have a time frame in which you must watch the PPV or once recorded and paid for can it be viewed indefinitely?

I know on VOD purchases it does not charge until viewed.

Currently it's on your machine until you delete it, but there is a rumor that , that will change sometime soon.

Also, currently, you do not pay for it until you view it.

Jimbo

Currently it's on your machine until you delete it, but there is a rumor that , that will change sometime soon.

Also, currently, you do not pay for it until you view it.

Jimbo

Which means that you need to shut the unit off using the power button before it starts recording the PPV. If you leave the unit on and watch anything else, you will be charged as soon as it starts recording because the unit assumes you are watching it while you're recording it.

Does it have a time frame in which you must watch the PPV or once recorded and paid for can it be viewed indefinitely?

I know on VOD purchases it does not charge until viewed.

Once you record the PPV, if not watched after a certain time, it will delete itself at the expiration date. But once viewed, the expiration date is not valid any longer. But there is a rumor that that will change soon. I hope not though.

Which means that you need to shut the unit off using the power button before it starts recording the PPV. If you leave the unit on and watch anything else, you will be charged as soon as it starts recording because the unit assumes you are watching it while you're recording it.

Once you record the PPV, if not watched after a certain time, it will delete itself at the expiration date. But once viewed, the expiration date is not valid any longer. But there is a rumor that that will change soon. I hope not though.

IWC,
You do not need to turn off anything ... If you are planning to record a PPV, simple set it up the way you would normally, it should record and when you want to watch it, at that time you will be billed.
The HR20/21's are never OFF, only in standby mode.

MLB,
As far as I know of, there is NO expiration date for PPV's at least that is listed on the PPV info when inquiring.
There IS a Expiration date on all DOD downloads however.

Some one correct me if I am wrong, as I don't do PPV's often, but there was not a expiration date on the last one I did about a month ago.

Jimbo

IWC,
You do not need to turn off anything ... If you are planning to record a PPV, simple set it up the way you would normally, it should record and when you want to watch it, at that time you will be billed.
The HR20/21's are never OFF, only in standby mode.
Jimbo

During our training we were told that it had to be placed in Standby/OFF if you didn't want to pay for the PPV right away. The reason for it, as it was explained to me, was because the IRD doesn't know if you watch the PPV as it's being recorded if the unit is on because it doesn't know if the TV is on or off.

I've personally never ordered a PPV this way, so I don't know for sure that it works this way.

MLB,
As far as I know of, there is NO expiration date for PPV's at least that is listed on the PPV info when inquiring.
There IS a Expiration date on all DOD downloads however.

Some one correct me if I am wrong, as I don't do PPV's often, but there was not a expiration date on the last one I did about a month ago.

I recored "3:10 to Yuma" a few days ago. Before I watched it, there was an expiration date listed in My Playlist (can't remember the date, sometime in early March). Once purchased and watched, the expiration date disappeared.

During our training we were told that it had to be placed in Standby/OFF if you didn't want to pay for the PPV right away. The reason for it, as it was explained to me, was because the IRD doesn't know if you watch the PPV as it's being recorded if the unit is on because it doesn't know if the TV is on or off.

I've personally never ordered a PPV this way, so I don't know for sure that it works this way.

Wouldn't you either need to be on the channel that the show is being broadcast on, OR in the Playlist and hit play on the one being recorded in order for it to be authorized to show the program, once you ok it, you will be billed, at least, thats the way I've always heard it to be.

When I DID order a PPV awhile back, I was not charged for it until I actually played the show.

Jimbo

I recored "3:10 to Yuma" a few days ago. Before I watched it, there was an expiration date listed in My Playlist (can't remember the date, sometime in early March). Once purchased and watched, the expiration date disappeared.

This must be something fairly new then ....

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.