PQ improvements on Equator-HD?

Walter L.

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 29, 2004
Portland, Oregon
I recently asked Wilt Hildenbrand about the status of the mosquito noise problem on Equator-HD pointing out some sporadic improvements that has been reported and this was his response:

"We've been looking at it, actually, and trying to see where it's coming
from. We've got some more testing to do, but we're still on it.
Some progress should have been noted, glad to hear that voluntarily as
opposed to my saying we made a change"

This is good news. At least, it sounds like they are on the right track. Has anybody seen any improvement?

WOO HOO! Good one, Walter, I did notice a vast improvement on the Arctic show the other night, it was totally noise free. I hope this can be extended to all shows, that would make this channel a definite Favorite for me.

The EYE OVER series is the big test for it since it is where the mosquito noise is more pronounced. I do agree with DarrelP regarding the Arctic show but I still saw it if you really look closely. We will be watching more.

Has anybody notice that Equator-HD is currently been simultcast on channel 341? I'm guessing that V* may be using 341 to experiment with the compression settings looking for a fix to the "mosquito noise".

I tried watching 5 millenium of Chinese Treasures on Gallery last weekend and the skeeter noise was worse than Equator, it was awful.

Another update about EquatorHD: Last night I tuned in a Rudy Maxa segment on The Dolomites and the PQ was OK, at least there was not a ton of mosquito noise so at least it was watchable, then as soon as the show was over and they started showing previews for other shows, the mosquitos returned in hordes.

Question: Could this be a mastering/program issue and not a channel issue? I haven't been watching Equator due to the horrid PQ so for those of you who watch it regularly, is the mosquito noise generally less now than originally?

It depends, it seems the Smart Travels and Earth Diary segments are great, then other stuff the older aboriginal art, shiriikami mountains, and the elsewheres look like horrendous crap.

Actually, my understanding is that "mosquito noise" is a compression-induced artifact. But it is true that certain type content is more suceptible than other like, for example, dense clusters of leaves.
That explain why this artifact is more noticebale in programs such as "Eye Over", Elewhere and the Shriikami mountains.
Voom needs to fix this problem by tweaking the compression setting in their encoder or try a different encoder. I'm hoping that the new H.264 or WM9 encoder will fix it.

Wilt, I think it's inherent in some of the productions. Some have it and some don't. You can particularly see it when the camera is sweeping over red tile roofs. You don't see it in vivid green or white scenes such as forests or snow. Possibly was a product of post production and not your broadcast. Looks like post-production noise was introduced at some point. I would check the original vs. the copy.

Tvlman said:
Wilt, I think it's inherent in some of the productions. Some have it and some don't. You can particularly see it when the camera is sweeping over red tile roofs. You don't see it in vivid green or white scenes such as forests or snow. Possibly was a product of post production and not your broadcast. Looks like post-production noise was introduced at some point. I would check the original vs. the copy.
I wonder about the post production as well. We all know that Smart Travels was a perfectly mastered program as we have all seen it on PBS or HDNET and it is fantastic PQ. I've been watching it on Equator and though it still has a bit of mosquito noise, it is not bad (I want ZERO). Now look at the Shirikami Mountains, my God! That is mosquito city.

As far as forests go, I whole heartedly disagree, as this is one area where the noise really jumps out. There was a show on Tigers and as long as the camera was static, the PQ was awesome, but if leaves were moving or the camera was panning, the noise was horrendous.

Walter L. said:
Actually, my understanding is that "mosquito noise" is a compression-induced artifact.
Obviously Voom has maxed out its bandwidth to the point where mosquito noise cannot be eliminated. So much for all the "O the transponders are full of data already from the start and its not a bandwidth issue" ...Bologna. Another good reason to shut off garbage like Moov and give us back our PQ!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts