XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
TiVo Debuts Revolutionary Series3 High Definition Digital Media Recorder

The TiVo Series3 HD Box is the World's first THX Certified DVR and Delivers the Best Home Theater Experience with Advanced Broadband Features and Two CableCARD Slots for Digital Cable Integration

Alviso, CA -- September 12, 2006 – TiVo Inc., the creator of and a leader in television services for digital video recorders (DVRs), announced today the launch of the high end TiVo® Series3™ HD Digital Media Recorder – the first stand-alone TiVo product that is HD compatible. Available beginning mid-September, the TiVo Series3 HD box is the world’s first THX®-certified, digital video recorder, delivering audio and video that truly maintains the fidelity of the original broadcast. Once again, TiVo is setting a new standard for digital cable users with its Emmy®-awarding service and exclusive feature set…now in high definition!

“TiVo continues to be the best way to watch television and we are very proud to extend the TiVo experience into the world of high definition with the release of the TiVo Series3 HD box,” said Tom Rogers, CEO and President of TiVo.

The TiVo Series3 HD box delivers the ultimate in high definition entertainment, allowing the consumer to experience TiVo’s acclaimed service features, such as Season Pass™ recordings and WishList® searches, in sharp, vivid high-definition images. Extensive video analysis and performance testing by THX ensures content will always playback at the maximum quality and resolution. The advanced chipset in the TiVo Series3 HD box also lays the groundwork for support for more advanced download features in the future.

Dual tuners allow subscribers to record two different shows in HD at the same time, while watching a third pre-recorded show. With the high quality OLED front-panel display, the TiVo Series3 HD box will show what is recording, even when the television is off. The TiVo Series3 HD box enables the user to record up to 32 hours of HD programming, or up to 300 hours of recording capacity in standard definition. The TiVo Series3 HD box also features a new, sleek, backlit remote control.

The TiVo Series3 is designed to fit seamlessly into the most discerning home theater systems. It is compatible with digital cable*, analog cable and is the first TiVo to support over-the-air digital HD (ATSC). Later this year, it will also support the newly released TiVoCast service feature which allows users to access content directly through their broadband connection, introducing the next revolution of Internet and cable delivery. Future software releases can even enable advanced MPEG-4 based download features.

With a built-in Ethernet jack and USB ports, the TiVo Series3 HD box also provides advanced connectivity and easy networking, making it simple to access an additional suite of exclusive TiVo features.

“Our subscribers have eagerly anticipated the day they can use our services in high definition,” said Jim Denney, Vice President of Product Marketing at TiVo. “The TiVo Series3 HD DVR gives our customers the best way to experience HDTV in visual and audio performance, an easy, intuitive way to find and record HD programming and a broad set of multimedia and networking capabilities that greatly exceed other generic offerings available allowing subscribers the freedom to enjoy their favorite programming whenever they chose to do so.”

“As more and more digital video recorders get connected to HDTVs, the demand for higher playback quality rises,” said Dr. Michael Rudd, chief of AV architecture at THX Ltd. “With THX certification, the integrity of HD content won’t be compromised. Our collaboration with TiVo has resulted in a product that promises to capture, store and playback HDTV programs with the detail and clarity that is true to the original broadcast.”

“We are excited to bring the TiVo Series3 HD box to the lineup of HES suppliers,” said Jim Ristow, Director of Home Entertainment Source (HES). “The new TiVo HD box is at the forefront of technology, as are HES dealers, making the relationship between TiVo and HES an excellent match.”

Favorite existing TiVo features included in the TiVo Series3 HD box:

* TiVo Online Scheduling: Schedule last-minute recordings from the office or on the road from anywhere you can access the Internet.
* WishList Searches: Easily find programs by actor, director, keyword or topic. The TiVo service works to find and record all the programs related to that topic – like an advanced search engine for your television.
* Season Pass Recordings: Automatically record every episode, even if the network schedule changes. It can even skip repeat episodes.
* TiVo KidZone: Coming later this year to the Series3 HD box, only TiVo gives parents the power to easily create a customized area for their children, with only the programs they’ve pre-approved.

Broadband connected TiVo Series3 subscribers will have access to a variety of multimedia services, networking options and entertainment choices:

* TiVoCast: Download video programming via broadband to your TiVo box. Programming comes from a diverse selection of media brands and producers, including The New York Times, CNET, the NBA, iVillage, and many others. TiVoCast will be available on the Series3 HD later this year.

* TiVo Online Services: View both personal photo slideshows and those shared by friends with Yahoo! Photos, and check local weather and traffic from Yahoo!. Additionally, browse and buy movie tickets from Fandango, discover new music on Live365, and listen to entertaining podcasts.
* TiVo Mobile: Browse TV listings and schedule recordings directly from select Verizon Wireless phones. The downloadable program will be available later this year.

The TiVo Series3 HD box will join the existing TiVo product line, and will soon be available for $799.99 at retail stores including select Best Buy, Circuit City, Ultimate Electronics, Fry’s and online at www.tivo.com <http://www.tivo.com/> .

This product will be shown at CEDIA in booth 378 beginning 9/13-9/17.

* A security card (CableCARD) provided by your cable operator is required to view encrypted digital cable programming. Two CableCARDs may be required for dual-tuner functionality. Certain advanced and interactive digital cable services such as video-on-demand, a cable operator’s enhanced programming guide, and data-enhanced television services may require the use of a separate cable company-provided set-top box.

About THX Ltd.
Born out of George Lucas’ vision to improve the movie-going experience, THX is a driving force in cinema, post-production, car audio and home entertainment.

THX is dedicated to developing new ways to make the creation, delivery and presentation of entertainment content more efficient, more powerful and more enjoyable. Today, the world’s premier commercial cinemas, post-production studios, car audio systems and home entertainment products incorporate THX technologies and have achieved the coveted THX Certified status. For more information, visit www.thx.com.

THX and the THX Logo are trademarks of THX Ltd., which may be registered in some jurisdictions. All rights reserved.

About HES

Home Entertainment Source, the A/V specialty division of Brand Source, is a non-profit organization with over 450 members. With annual sales exceeding $1.2 billion, HES ranks as one of the largest buying groups in the CE industry.

About TiVo Inc.

Founded in 1997, TiVo (NASDAQ: TIVO) pioneered a brand new category of products with the development of the first commercially available digital video recorder (DVR). Sold through leading consumer electronic retailers, TiVo has developed a brand which resonates boldly with consumers as providing a superior television experience. Through agreements with leading satellite and cable providers, TiVo also integrates its full set of DVR service features into the set-top boxes of mass distributors. TiVo's DVR functionality and ease of use, with such features as Season Pass™ recordings and WishList® searches, has elevated its popularity among consumers and has created a whole new way for viewers to watch television. With a continued investment in its patented technologies, TiVo is revolutionizing the way consumers watch and access home entertainment. Rapidly becoming the focal point of the digital living room, TiVo's DVR is at the center of experiencing new forms of content on the TV, such as broadband delivered video, music and photos. With innovative features such as TiVoToGo™ transfers and online scheduling, TiVo is expanding the notion of consumers experiencing "TiVo, TV your way." TiVo is also at the forefront of providing innovative marketing solutions for the television industry, including a unique platform for advertisers and audience measurement research. The company is based in Alviso, Calif.

TiVo, Series3, WishList, Season Pass, TiVoCast, TiVoToGo, and the TiVo Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of TiVo Inc.’s subsidiaries worldwide. © 2006 TiVo Inc. All rights reserved. All other company or product names mentioned may be trademarks or registered trademarks of the respective companies with which they are associated.

Sean Mota said:
-no satellite support
-only 32 hrs of HD
-no information about OTA recording

I'll pass.

The press release said it supports over the air hd recordings (ATSC).

But I wonder why it can only do 32 hours if it can do 300 hours of SD. The 622 does 30/200; I would think that an extra hour 100 hours of SD would equate to another 13 - 15 hours of HD.

I'll pass too. I like my 622. :)

rockymtnhigh said:
The press release said it supports over the air hd recordings (ATSC).

But I wonder why it can only do 32 hours if it can do 300 hours of SD. The 622 does 30/200; I would think that an extra hour 100 hours of SD would equate to another 13 - 15 hours of HD.

I'll pass too. I like my 622. :)

Maybe the 32 hours is based on full bit-rate HD... not ahem, Dish networks version.

snathanb said:
Maybe the 32 hours is based on full bit-rate HD... not ahem, Dish networks version.
Hey! I was going to say that!:D

But I wonder what Tivo will use for EPG. I would hope that the broadband connection would be used with dial-up as a backup. I wonder how much the monthly Tivo fees will be with this, as well...

Let's see if I have this straight...pay $800 for an HD Tivo, $13 per month Tivo subscription, and $3.50 per month to lease two Cablecards - that's $1394.00 over 36 months. By comparison:

Purchase a Dish ViP622 ($459), $5.98 monthly DVR Fee - that $674.28 over 36 months, which is half the cost for a HD DVR of equal or superior functionality.

I purchased a Sony 500Gb ATSC/QAM HD DVR for $249 at Tweeter's, and TV Guide On Scree is free. If I were to lease a $1.75 per month Cablecard - that equals $312 over three years. Sure the EPG isn't as good, but it's free and there is twice as much storage.

Drop the price down to $499 and include free lifetime EPG and perhaps I'll seriously consider a Series3.

Last edited:
What is revolunatiory about a box that costs $800 and more than 15Million satellite subscribers can't use. Confused????

riffjim4069 said:
Let's see if I have this straight...pay $800 for an HD Tivo, $13 per month Tivo subscription, and $3.50 per month to lease two Cablecards - that's $1394.00 over 36 months. By comparison:

Purchase a Dish ViP622 ($459), $5.98 monthly DVR Fee - that $674.28 over 36 months, which is half the cost for a HD DVR of equal or superior functionality.

I purchased a Sony 500Gb ATSC/QAM HD DVR for $249 at Tweeter's, and TV Guide On Scree is free. If I were to lease a $1.75 per month Cablecard - that equals $312 over three years. Sure the EPG isn't as good, but it's free and there is twice as much storage.

Drop the price down to $499 and include free lifetime EPG and perhaps I'll seriously consider a Series3.

Well, here in Boston, it makes a bit more sense. With this box, you can drop the Comcast dvr ($15/month), and they give cablecards for free.

If I was a Cable/Fios customer then I would get this instead of the Motorola 6412s that they use around here.

Still neither Cocmast or Verizon even come close to Dish's HD lineup. I'm not goin anywere right now.

Sean Mota said:
-no satellite support
I was bummed when I first learned of this but realized that if it did, it wouldn't be at a sub $1000 price point. Encoding HD is expensive!
Sean Mota said:
-only 32 hrs of HD
This is with a 250 Gig hard drive. It records the stream it gets (just like E* / D* does). Like previous Tivos it is upgradable. 750 Gig drives netting 100 hours of HD record time are already for sale. I expect we'll have DIY instruction on the net soon. The unit also has a rear-panel eSATA port for expandability to external eSATA drives. The port is currently disabled.
Sean Mota said:
-no information about OTA recording
I'll pass.

It most definately does HD Off-air. It does both ATSC & NTSC.

The box isn't for everyone. It's expensive and it's for cable / OTA only.

I expect I'll have mine here early next week. If someone is interested in lifetime service on a Series 3, and you already own a Tivo with Lifetime service, this is Tivo's offer:

http://www.tivo.com/vip.

TiVo does not work with Dish because Dish would not release their incription codes to TiVo, so they could build a Dish HD DVR receiver. Dish wants to hog all their manufacture for themselves and their inferior box. Nobody but Dish builds receivers for Dish and they cannot build a decent one.

FYI: They are still partners with DirecTV and it doesn't work with them either. I think this was always slated to be a non-DBS box.

I haven't seen the back of the unit, but I assume it includes a basic "F" type connection for the cable input in addition to the cable card inputs. If it does include an f-type connector, will it tune QAM and if so, will it record unencrypted local nets (in HD) if they are available (which they are for me)? I'll have to subscribe to a digital package ($50-$60) in order to rent cable cards, and I want to stick with the basic package ($15 and the basic package includes unencrypted local nets).

2x 'F' connector inputs. One for Cable, one for off-air.

It will tune the QAM 'in the clear' channels without the cable card but you won't get guide info or be able to do more than manual recordings (which sucks). Tivo doesnt' let you map the QAM channels to the channels you have guide data for.

Add Cable cards and all is well. The side effect there is that they'll likely want you to upgrade to a digital tier on you cable sub. Some companies switch your sub to a-la-carte if you don't have one of their STBs to discourage cablecard usage.

I'll be using mine for off-air only for the time being. It still hasn't arrived from my Tuesday order from Tivo.com.

Here is a picture of the Series 3 TiVo that I took at CEDIA:

Thanks for the info and reply Shawn - kind of a let down though. It appears that the LG LST-1310a is still the winning solution for this situation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts