Pre installation advice?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Unckle_Fun_Knuckles

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
Hey folks,
I just payed for my goodies over at sadoun. Should be here by Wednesday. Does anyone have any PREinstallation advice for the novice that will save me from forcefully removing what hair I have left =P You know, the REAL obvious stuff you discover after you put up your system.
Thanks!

Are you pole mounting this or mounting on your roof? If you have a standard LNB get a sat finder, they will help in installation. If you are mounting on your roof make sure you have flashing caulk to seal things up. Extra cable ends is a good idea also. Make sure you have a couple of asprin for any headaches that you might run into. And also make sure to have plenty of your favorite cold beverage for when you hit the arc and are able to watch some FTA TV ;)

1 - First find out where you want to install the dish, like on the roof or side of the house or on the ground.
2 - Make sure you have clear view of the sky for the satellite you want to aim.
3 - If everything is ok, install the pole and make sure is plumb or leveled.
4 - Put the dish on the pole and connect the cable(use RG6 cable) to the dish and receiver. Don't use any swtich before your dish is properly secure and aimed to the satellite you want to get.
5 - Go to Menu and choose Dish(Antenna) settings and follow the instructions according your hardware(lnb, switch, motor).
6 - It is a good idea to have a satellite finder(cheap one works good), otherwise it will be hard for you to find the signal.
7 - Choose the transponder for your favorite channel(go to lyngsat web site and look around for info about the satellite you want to aim).
8 - Use a compass or other device to help you to point the dish to the satellite of your choice.
9 - Move the dish east west up and down until until get the best signal(quality is what matters).
10 - Do a blind or auto scan to get the channels(T.V. and radio).
11 - Enjoy your system.

If you need more help read the manual and the forum(don't forget to use the search button).

What he said. :D

I will add, when using the sat meter (finder), just realize that the DBS birds are REALLY REALLY strong, so if you are pointing at a sat close to a dbs bird, make sure you are carefull in your aiming.

shoemaker said:
1 - First find out where you want to install the dish, like on the roof or side of the house or on the ground.
2 - Make sure you have clear view of the sky for the satellite you want to aim.
3 - If everything is ok, install the pole and make sure is plumb or leveled.
4 - Put the dish on the pole and connect the cable(use RG6 cable) to the dish and receiver. Don't use any swtich before your dish is properly secure and aimed to the satellite you want to get.
5 - Go to Menu and choose Dish(Antenna) settings and follow the instructions according your hardware(lnb, switch, motor).
6 - It is a good idea to have a satellite finder(cheap one works good), otherwise it will be hard for you to find the signal.
7 - Choose the transponder for your favorite channel(go to lyngsat web site and look around for info about the satellite you want to aim).
8 - Use a compass or other device to help you to point the dish to the satellite of your choice.
9 - Move the dish east west up and down until until get the best signal(quality is what matters).
10 - Do a blind or auto scan to get the channels(T.V. and radio).
11 - Enjoy your system.

If you need more help read the manual and the forum(don't forget to use the search button).

All of the advice given by the good folks here sounds like very good advice. A couple things I might add is now would be a good time to do a little reading and research. Sadouns site has some pages that give good tips about setting up your dish. Since you purchased from them, I guess you've perhaps already seen those pages but if you haven't go ahead and take a look and if you have, it might not hurt to read through them again.

Also when your using your compass remember to keep anything magnetic far far away (like maybe an inclinometer or level with a magnetic base or even magnetic tipped screw drivers). Also it's said that large object made of Iron, steel or other ferrous metals near by can affect compass readings as they may concentrate Flux from the earths magnetic field. Keep that in mind when using your compass to find magnetic south. Lastly, don't forget that magnetic south is not really true south. Remember to adjust for the magnetic deviation in your area.

One last thing.. Be patient, you may think the equipment doesn't work.. But being patient wins the day.. Good Luck..

This is soooo true. I just repointed my 84E P* dish to G10R and did not test it in the house last night. This morning I went looking for it and nothing. I need to get up there again and find it tonight.

If you have ANY questions along the way feel free to ask. ;)

Rick in MD said:
One last thing.. Be patient, you may think the equipment doesn't work.. But being patient wins the day.. Good Luck..

Status
Please reply by conversation.