Precision Parabolics 12 foot mesh

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ftageekyyc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Starting a new thread for the top secret stealth dish I retrieved on Saturday. I'm saying it's top secret because a search of the Internet found exactly... nothing.

What you have here is your world famous Precision Parabolics 12 foot mesh dish made in that hot bed of communications technology, Nanaimo, BC. I somehow doubt they made over 10,000 of these but it looks like they must have produced at least somewhere around 400 based on the serial number. (Picture 1)

Here's a look at the mounting mechanism from the rear. Notice the rust where the sleeve slides over the post. We were unable to spin the sleeve to remove the mounting hardware intact from the pipe. No identifiable manufacturer marks on the actuator. (Picture 2)

Front view of the dish showing the 4 feed arms and Chapparal LNB. Shows bolts through front plate attaching ribs to centre of dish. (Picture 3)

Rear view of the dish on the ground. Some of the arms, nuts, bolts etc. are rusty and need to be cleaned up or replaced. The two white bushings are pretty dried out. Shows nuts on back plate attaching ribs to centre of dish. (Picture 4)

We attempted to save the pole. We were able to jack it far enough to confirm the pipe was set into some concrete for approximately the lower 3 feet of the pole. Figured that even if we were able to lever the pole out we would not be able to lift it onto the trailer. Cut off above the concrete then dropped the remains back into the hole for reburial. (Picture 5)

This view shows how the mesh slides into channels and how the ribs are attached around the circumference. (Picture 6)

We saved around 2 metres of pipe which won't be enough to remount this dish. But, living in Alberta I'm not worried about scrounging a chunk of 3 inch steel pipe.

From the pictures I have posted can anyone confirm whether this is a unique design, or a clone of another dish using a similar manufacturing method?

Since I have a long list of projects to complete this summer, and some of the hardware will need to be cleaned up or replaced, I think I am going to break down all the panels for storage so mesh doesn't get damaged, poles bent, etc.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Pic3_FeedMountArms.jpg
    Pic3_FeedMountArms.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 255
  • Pic4_DishOnGround.jpg
    Pic4_DishOnGround.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 248
  • Pic5_FarmJackPole.jpg
    Pic5_FarmJackPole.jpg
    652.1 KB · Views: 259
  • Pic1_Label_cropped.jpg
    Pic1_Label_cropped.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 236
  • Pic2_Mount_cropped.jpg
    Pic2_Mount_cropped.jpg
    716 KB · Views: 257
  • Pic6_OuterRibCropped.jpg
    Pic6_OuterRibCropped.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 237
I don't pay a lot of attention to mesh dishes.
They all look the same to me. :)
But 12 foot dishes are kind of rare, and I don't see anything wrong with yours.
So, unless someone knows a dirty little secret about this one, I'd say you scored! ;)

The rust looks minimal for a decade or two in a harsh environment.
Hardly worth the effort to do a serious repaint.

Are the ribs steel or aluminum?
I couldn't see any rust on 'em.
Would probably just paint the quad legs and the mount.
...and maybe those 8 bracing struts on the back of the dish.

The dull natural color of the ribs & mesh look good (if they won't rust).

Dont think I would tear down the dish and store it.
Get a pole planted.
Fixing up the mount should be easy and quick.
Stick it on your pole.
The minimal amount of work the dish needs, might be as easy if it were mounted. :up

Then if you don't get around to servicing the motor and aligning the dish for a few months, that's fine.

I had to break the dish half apart to fit it on the trailer.

All metal components of the dish frame are aluminum. The back braces and the legs for the feedhorn are similar to the rolled material you would find on tent frame supports or a folding lawn chair. I'm missing 3 mesh panels out of 16 on this dish.

Since I've got a line on another dish the poster thinks might be 12 feet, and seems to look identical to the one I just got, I'll assess my materials once I see if I can retrieve the second dish later this week.

I also need to get a few trees (including a couple of 70 foot poplars) taken down before I can plant any BUD, then coordinate new water well drilling and antenna tower plans with my neighbour to maximize our shared backhoe use and ready mix delivery.

Thanks very much for the info. More news to follow.

Those plastic strips that hold the mesh to the frame are probably pretty weather worn and likely to disintegrate/ shatter if they're flexed. Be careful there.
Could use a 'smoke wrench' (torch) on the mount to get it off the pole. (Persuaded with a sledge).
Or soak it in penetrating oil for a fortnight.
As to taking it completely apart I'm not in favor.

Those channel strips on the ribs for supporting the mesh are starting to suffer from UV but aren't in too bad shape. Will not remove them from the ribs.

I'll set that mount in a vat of penetrating oil for a while and see how it goes.

Those channel strips on the ribs for supporting the mesh are starting to suffer from UV but aren't in too bad shape. Will not remove them from the ribs.

I'll set that mount in a vat of penetrating oil for a while and see how it goes.

Get a bottle of ATF (automatic transmission fluid) from your autoparts store. Buy a can of Acetone from your hardware store. Mix them 50/50 together in a GLASS jar. Use that for penetrating oil, soak the bolts and such that you want to remove. You will NOT find anything that works better than that! It beats them all, hands down.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts