• I’d prefer a 2H 0J install, but if not allowed, I would go with 1H 1J

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • I’d prefer a 2H 0J install, but if not allowed, I would go with 2H 1J

Votes: 14 11.7%
  • I plan on a different combination of Hoppers and Joeys

Votes: 71 59.2%

• Total voters
Coach Knight said:
No, 3 people watching 3 different shows at any given time (sometimes live sports that you don't want to record, therefore you have to have the tuner)...plus taping up to 3 or 4 shows at any given moment every now and then. Do I constantly need 6 tuners? No. But I have two 722s and OTA on one for 5 total tuners. Sometimes now that is not enough...so three is definitely not enough. As they say...I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Besides, my price would go up only $1 per month to add HD to another TV (by upgrading from my 722s), add more tuners, PTAT and all the other great Hopper features. In my case, it's a pretty good upgrade option from both the cost and features perspective. I can easily blow the $100 the extra Hopper would cost me on a weekend and have nothing to show for it. I have no problem with the upgrade costs considering the benefits.

I totally understand that each household is different. Many wouldn't even need more than just one Hopper alone. Others may max out the configuration. I was just answering why people may elect 2H/1J instead of the reverse in your original question. I'm not saying it's a better choice or the right one for everyone else. Hope that helps clarify. :)

Oh yeah it does. I'm just curious what people will want. I will be installing these H/J systems and like reading what people think of them.

buckdown8 said:
Oh yeah it does. I'm just curious what people will want. I will be installing these H/J systems and like reading what people think of them.

As for me I rarely watch live tv unless it's a sporting event. Every household is different. I think this system will work great. Being able to go to different tvs and pick which tuner you want to view.

satjay said:
Also if by chance one Hopper went out you would have a back up to watch tv

That's the main draw for me. Dropping from 4 to 3 tuners is a concern, but redundancy is paramount. Don't want to go without TV.

BTW there are only two of us now (usually, sometimes 4). But we record A LOT and watch from the DVRd list.

I'll bet Bob would go with 2 Hoppers if he came back to Dish. ;)

navychop said:
That's the main draw for me. Dropping from 4 to 3 tuners is a concern, but redundancy is paramount. Don't want to go without TV.

I'll bet Bob would go with 2 Hoppers if he came back to Dish. ;)

Plus the features as well with PTAT access on another tv if you want to watch something new on a different tv on a whim.

That PTAT would appeal to my MiL if she understood it. For my wife & I, I think we'll leave it off.

I think some big reasons to get 2 hoppers are that if you can afford the price to get a 2nd one its the same monthly fees as the joey and you get 3 additional tuners ( 6 total, 5 if one has PTAT feature on)

1 Hopper and 2 Joeys will be just fine for my house. I like the idea of being able to add a second Hopper (eventually) should my needs increase.

I'm not too worried about losing TV in the whole house should the hopper fail. We have an OTA antenna and our TV's have ATSC tuners so we can watch the locals and in the end it's only TV. We will survive until a replacement arrives.

Last edited:
I'll see what deal dish offers me if I want 2 hoppers. If they want 299 for the 2 of them then forget it and I'll wait awhile. Even during prime time it will record all the 4 major networks while letting you record 2 more shows. So will it let you watch a show while 4 record from the major networks or will it only let you record? A lot of the times we record a show if it repeats. A hopper and Joey set up will work to start with. I don't have 300 bucks to shell out either if I wanted 2 hoppers. See U-verse has a whole home DVr and when the DVr box goes out you still have the other hd box.

I'll see what deal dish offers me if I want 2 hoppers. If they want 299 for the 2 of them then forget it and I'll wait awhile. Even during prime time it will record all the 4 major networks while letting you record 2 more shows. So will it let you watch a show while 4 record from the major networks or will it only let you record? A lot of the times we record a show if it repeats. A hopper and Joey set up will work to start with. I don't have 300 bucks to shell out either if I wanted 2 hoppers. See U-verse has a whole home DVr and when the DVr box goes out you still have the other hd box.

Try doing more than 2 HD streams on that UVerse box and tell me how it goes.

Tyralak I don't have U-verse because it's still not offered on my street. It's offered all around me but not on my street and plus I question the HD quality anyways as I know people who have it and it's the quality isn't as good as it is with satellite. Every time I asked about U-verse they fed me a B.S line if some sort of why it wasn't available. They kept saying it was new technology and it takes time to get to every area. That's when I gave up on that idea of getting service with them and decided in giving dish a shot. Believe me I heard enough bad things about dish and all sorts of horror stories but ive had no issues. In fact tech support has been terrific.

2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys once the Hoppers are integrated so I can see all 6 tuners. I would need 4 hopper remotes and 2 joey remotes OTA would be nice to get 8 tuners. I have a 722 and 622 with OTA at both. Therefore, I have 6 tuners now. The 622(TV room) is in single mode and I watch sports on it with PIP. Right now I have golf and tennis side by side. So I need 2 tuners for myself. The 622 feeds a SDTV(living room) via RCA cables. The two sets are never on at the same time. I would set up 1 hopper to replace the 622 and wire its RCA out in the same way. The 722 is in Dual mode TV1(MB) and TV2( BR1,Office,kitchen) via rf cable and splitter. Simultaneous viewing takes place in the day in MB and kitchen and late night in MB and BR1. The office is used a couple hours a week usually in single mode. I would replace the 722 with a hopper(MB) and 2 joeys( kitchen and BR1). I would use an rf module to feed the office.

I am considering a 1 hopper( tv room) and 3 joey (MB,BR1,and Kitchen) with RCA cables from the hopper to the LR SDTV and an rf module from the MB joey to the office. Just don't know if I want to downsize to 3 tuners. So for now until 2 hopper are linked I think I will stay put and wait for the updates.

Last edited:
2 Hoppers 0 Joeys for me, if allowed. Same fees, double tuners. I can live with them separate until the integration comes.

I have 2 722's in my equipment rack spread to the whole house (6 HDTV's). 2 Hoppers would be all I need with 6 remotes. No Joeys needed. But the lack of OTA is still the killer for me. There are just too many things on the other (non-big4) channels that I watch in HD that I would miss without it. I know I am in the minority on this but come on Dish, I need that OTA tuner to make this work.

dish fan82,

with uverse, the "last mile" on their vdsl service is copper which limits their distance to provide service from either the Central Office or the field piece (I think it's called a terminal extender).

it is quite possible that your street is too many line feet to offer it to you.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)