Premium Channel Question

mmpotash

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
I'm changing out my 942 for a 622. In the last 2 1/2 years I've had the HBO & Showtime premiums, which I only used in HD. At the time, the other premium channels were not available.

When the 622 is installed next week I can have Cinemax, Starz or Showtime. Which one has the best movies for someone who does not watch fluff, etc. I will keep HBO and add one more.

If you go with auto pay and paperless billing you can get Cinemax for .01 per year for 2 years. Great promotion in my book-especially considering Cinemax has 3 HD channels.

I would go Starz and then Cinemax for a penny. You will be getting two sets of premium channels for the cost of one. Cinemax seems to show everything HBO does just a few weeks later and I never found Showtime to carry many movies I would watch.

I would go Starz and then Cinemax for a penny. You will be getting two sets of premium channels for the cost of one. Cinemax seems to show everything HBO does just a few weeks later and I never found Showtime to carry many movies I would watch.

This is the way to go, Starz would be my top choice and if you can add Cinemax for a penny there's no reason not to have that as well.

Showtime is weaker for newer movies, but I find myself recording more older films from Showtime. Showtime shows almost everything in OAR too.

Also, while I no longer watch any series on HBO, I watch quite a few on Showtime.

They all have their good and bad points.

If you go with auto pay and paperless billing you can get Cinemax for .01 per year for 2 years. Great promotion in my book-especially considering Cinemax has 3 HD channels.

I can't seem to find a link to that promotion. Do you have one?

Thanks,

Carl B.

Showtime had to develop their on series a few years ago to replace the movies. They got stiffed, so to speak when both Starz & HBO channels made deals with the studios for the movies. In the past year they have been getting a few movies from a deal that they finally got a studio to agree too.

Cinemax is the best movie channel available on Dish. 3 HD channels and better movies (more popular) on their Saturday evening premieres. Starz is a weak second. Starz could move to a strong second if Dish would pick up the other 3 HD channels that Starz offers.

Showtime and HBO have long since ceased to be movies channels. If you like soap opera-grade, network-type programming without commercials, then they may be your cup of tea. Oh, when anyone cared about boxing, the occasional "big matchup" on HBO was nice. But, that was in an earlier time. My wife's primary reason for watching TV is to see movies. We started with all 4 premium channels back in 1999. As the cost of TV has risen, we have carefully pruned those premiums that really don't provide much movie content. Gone are HBO (first one dropped) and Showtime.

I don't know, man, I recently turned Cinemax back on because of the HD and it seems like they have VERY few movies. It's that Shia LaWhatever kid every damn night.

There was a time when Cinemax was the only premium I got. Remember the "Summer of 1000 movies" promos?

I must admit, Dexter was pretty weak this year.

I had a free Showtime preview for three months and hardly ever watched it. I now have the Cinemax .01 deal and am filling up my hard drive with HD movies. If the other HD channels for Starz were added, that would be my 2nd choice.

I must admit, Dexter was pretty weak this year.

OMG man, Lola alone made it must see TV, not to mention the Dokes thing. I thought it was much better than the first. Will be switching from HBO to Show in October.

OMG man, Lola alone made it must see TV, not to mention the Dokes thing. I thought it was much better than the first. Will be switching from HBO to Show in October.

I got bored with them trying to create artificial conflict. Like there isn't enough going on to keep it exciting, you have to give him a psycho girlfriend? The last few episodes are actually still sitting on my DVR...I know it probably went out big, but I haven't been able to muster up the interest.

Penn & Teller Bullsh!t and This American Life are great too. I never got into Weeds, but it's been good the few times I watched it. I haven't watched any shows on HBO for a while (though I should have been watching Extras.)

The most economical thing is probably just to suck up the sidegrade fee and switch channels every few months. They all have good points, and they all are super repetitive.

I have all the movie channels. They each have their own reaso to be watched. All now have added their own series in addition to movies. So I DVR something from all of them each week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)