AZBOX Premium + Wireless Settings For Verizon FiOS Wireless Router?

MarkVA

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Northern Virginia, USA
Folks -- I recently upgraded to the new firmware. Other than figuring I need to do a factory reset because I upgraded directly from 5020 (discussed in another thread), I can't pull up either YouTube or the internet. I know I'm connected, but everything times out. My router is in the basement and the AZBox is about 15' away up on the first floor as the crow flies. We live in a post & beam house, so there isn't even a subfloor to go through. I can easily pull in Wifi on my laptop on the first and second floors, so I don't think I have a signal strength problem.

I've read threads discussing static versus dynamic IP addresses and ones to use or not use. I've lost the bubble concerning how to make this work. If anyone has had experience with a Verizon FiOS router playing with a Premium +, I will be grateful for any assistance.

Or, should I just do the factory reset first and try it again before more detailed troubleshooting?

Thanks and have a great weekend!

MarkVA,

Was your connection working well before the upgrade? How were you connecting then (static IP or DHCP)? Personally, I have always set my AZBox to a static IP address because that allows for simpler and more manageable connection to the AZBox using MaZEdit and ACC etc.

If you have not performed a factory reset, the WiFi connection configuration settings should still be maintained.
A factory reset (database reset) is not normally required unless it is specified in the instructions of the upgrade image file.
Directly from the Opensat techs, the database reset is generally only needed when there is a major adjustment to the image file program.
After a factory reset (database reset) you definitely have to reconfigure the wireless setup within the AZBox as well as reloading your *.dat files and resetting other miscellaneous options.

What I have adopted in the past is to toggle the AZBox's internet connection type from wireless to wired and then back to wireless. This reopens the setup menu for the WiFi configuration.
I check that all the settings and addressing are correct and re-enter anything that is required. I then command it to connect with the proper encryption mode and password and then perform a speed check.
(NOTE: I think that somewhere in the setup, the AZBox has to search for the wireless connections available (detected) first, evaluate the encryption mode used by each and then it prompts you to select the desired one and enter the pass code.) If the speed check returns a valid connection, you should usually be good to go. However, if it still cannot connect to the internet, then the speed check seems to be informing us that the AZBox is connecting to the router only and not to the net. If this is the case, I perform a hard or cold reboot (i.e. shut down the system completely and then restart - not just REBOOT). This has always reset my full connection.

I personally have to reset my AZBox WiFi everytime there is a firmware revision upgrade because I do perform a database reset, whether they state that it is necessary or not, that is just a habit that I developed from somewhere in the past. In doing this, it still left the internet connection set to WiFi, but it erased all the IP addressing and configs so it would never connect. I could never figure any simpler way to reopen the reconfiguration menu other than to toggle to wired and back.

RADAR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)