Preparing for hopper

smakovits

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Next week I am going from a 722 and 2 211 boxes to hopper and Joey setup. The lady told me it can be 2-4 hours, so I was curious if this is accurate, but more importantly, I wanted to gather information about what I need to get ready. Is it as simple as plugging the new boxes in or is it much more complicated.

Any tips, recommendations or instructions are appreciated. Other than needing coax and Ethernet at each outlet, I was not sure what I need to prepared.

Thanks

It is not as simple as swapping out boxes. Yes it could take a little time for the tech to do the upgrade. As far as preparing. Make sure your available to the tech, by that I mean not having someone else there to meet him. Know your network pw if your gonna have a wireless connection to hopper. Be prepared to ask questions and answer questions while on walk thru with tech and confirm work to be performed.

Most upgrades are pretty routine and hopefully your experience will be positive. Keep in mind some features take a day or so to function properly. Let us know how it goes.

When all is installed give it about 24 hours or so for everything to really get going, such as apps and such

Is it best to put the hopper in the location most used and the joeys in secondary? Till now my 722 was in the basement, but with netflix etc, this might get more use in the family room. Or does it not matter so much?

I keep my Hopper in the primary location and Joeys in secondary. There are some things you can do with the Hopper, PIP for instance, that you can't do with the Joeys. You have to decide what you want to do and make your decision based on that.

Is it best to put the hopper in the location most used and the joeys in secondary? Till now my 722 was in the basement, but with netflix etc, this might get more use in the family room. Or does it not matter so much?
I'd do most used, no doubt.

Once installed, can I swap a hopper with joey? Like if I want the hopper in a different room instead.

Once installed, can I swap a hopper with joey? Like if I want the hopper in a different room instead.
If you do swap, you would also have to swap the cable connections at the node as well. Also, the cable going to the Hopper has to be 3Gz rated.

AFAIK, most rg6 will handle 3ghz, even if it isn't specifically rated as such. But don't quote me on that.

Hmm, I think all mine is pre 2008, so I guess the hopper stays in the basement and joeys everywhere else.

Just for true info: I installed a coax in my home in 1987. The center wire is a bit heavier (maybe it was RG 6 and I didn't know it) than the rest of the coax in the house that was installed in 1979. My Hopper has been working without fail on that 1987 coax for for 3 1/2 years....

Reactions: stardust3
You could not swap Hopper locations as it needs the original satellite feed. Its common for customers to assume that it could be done. Unfortunately it can't In most cases, one or all units will stop working. Its an amazing piece of equipment. I personally didn't know how awesome it was until I got one myself. mydish.com/hopper has a short video showing all the features. From the Gamefinder app to PTAT. Let us know if we can help you with anything.

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)