Press Release: Echostar Communications Buys Rainbow 1

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What is the coverage on 61.5? I know there are Voomer's from the pacific north west to LA..... So there would be no need to move it as it can apparently hit all 48 states.

Or am I mistaken?

Voom has an agreement with SES Americom to lease 16 Ku band (not DBS) TPs on AMC-6 at 72 W, a satellite already on orbit. Of course Dish already has a relationship with SES Americom so I would assume if Dish wanted to lease those TPs at 72 W, that should not be a problem but a SuperDish would be needed to get both 61.5 W and 72 W. The Rainbow-1 satellite actually has a total of 36 DBS TPs, the extra obviously are for spotbeams/backups. I would assume the frequencies of these TPs are only for the frequencies that Voom has license for but if somehow they could change the frequencies, Dish could use all their licensed frequencies at 61.5 W because I believe failures on Echostar-3 does not allow Dish to utilize all their licensed frequencies at 61.5 W.

I don't see how Rainbow-1 helps Dish with their one Dish for all locals problem because Dish is not going to move entire local markets off of 110/119 to 61.5 W especially with the launch of Echostar-10 later this year that should solve this problem. A move of Rainbow-1 to 110 W would only be useful if Dish could use the Rainbow-1 spotbeams from there and I have to believe the spotbeam patterns would get messed up by moving Rainbow-1 48.5 degrees west.

Keep checking for Voom HD programming to show up on your 61.5 Dish Network dish soon.

Jeffdbs said:
Keep checking for Voom HD programming to show up on your 61.5 Dish Network dish soon.

OK, that brings up another question. I wouldn't think that current E* STB's would be able to receive V*'s current programming from 61.5. I thought they used different security systems. So before E* folks could do that all the V* boxes would have to be replaced.

Oh geez, I repeat. The voom HD content is not coming to dish! Only the satellite and 11 more TPs

Dish Network is going to jump past DirecTV soon in these HD satellite/cable wars. Voom boxes will go 811's and Voom HD programming will be available to all Dish Network customers. This is a new day for Dish Network HD. Almost there...............

Jeffdbs said:
Dish Network is going to jump past DirecTV soon in these HD satellite/cable wars. Voom boxes will go 811's and Voom HD programming will be available to all Dish Network customers. This is a new day for Dish Network HD. Almost there...............

No, it wont. The voom channels and voom subs are a joke to E* and they have no interest in them.

This is sweet. I've been waiting for Charlie to get the capacity for a Dutch language Swahili network :rolleyes: .

Instead of sending the signal over the whole nation, they can break it up into beams that only transmit to certain parts of the nation. Doing this enables them to use the same transponders in every spot, but offer different programming in each spot.

oh... I think I get it. without spotbeam a local NYC channel can be picked up by anyone who can see that sat and with spotbeam the same local NYC channel can only be picked by someone in NYC and then they can use the same transponder to feed a local LA channel to those in LA, right?

Jeffdbs, you don't get it do you? Voom programming IS NOT coming to DISH. All DISH wanted was the satellite and it's 11 transponders.

Neutron said:
Jeffdbs, you don't get it do you? Voom programming IS NOT coming to DISH. All DISH wanted was the satellite and it's 11 transponders.

Keeping the faith that Dish Network is full of good surprises.

Charlie said 1 or 2 more HD channels by the end of the year and I think that is all the additional HD we are going to get. The new capacity will be used to finish getting locals to every Podunk town in the lower 48 plus every Spanish language station that wants to broadcast north of the border. Charlie is a businessman first. VOOM's failure proved that there isn't yet a big market for HD and that just reinforces his on-going business model.

I just don't expect any significant HD gain from these events, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I agree with Carl B on this one. There is just not enough HD content and not enough people with HD televisions to make HD very profitable right now.

Even if 148 has enough space, I don't think E* would be able to mirror HD due to the 1 Dish Solution requirements for reg programming. I think only local channels would be allowed on the new bird. I don't know enough about this FCC reg, so I could be way off.

Status
Please reply by conversation.