Pretty Upset..

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Perhaps I should offer advice to the OP - original poster - or TS - thread starter - Try chatting with them if you haven't called. It is usually a pretty quick thing.

Google SW and you get southwest. Another example: PI (private investigator, not power inserter.) I HATE it when people speak Millennial and jargon/code and then bash you for asking what it means because Googling it will get you many results with all the stupid #Icy Michigan garbage. BTW (common enough to use), I finally learned why people were writing Icy Michigan after things. "In Case You Missed It." But that still doesn't make sense when it's hashtagged at the end of something. XD #tbt #hashtagsarestupid. (insert 12 emojis from an i-phone and most people see boxes an hearts.)

That being said, I do realize that I have used abbreviations many times on here, but usually only with users on threads with users I recognize or clearly know the lingo.

Get off my lawn! And I am not old (mid 30s) but I ignore half the posts on this and the other site because they are filled with things that people can't spell out at least once so everyone can try to follow.
OMG, REALLY !!!

JK !

I use abbreviations on here quite often, however I try not to when I know its a newer poster.
As people get comfortable posting in a particular forum they usually catch on to the jargon.

If I went to a forum that would be new to what I usually do the info would be new to me as well and I would hope it is spelled out for me, if not I would just ask, whats that ?

Reactions: Tampa8
I suggest you call in and have another tech visit - IF your service isn't right -you have 90 days of Free service calls to get it correct . CALL THE MAN!
As was mentioned in post 2 and 4...

Also, the OP, said that waiting on the phone wasn't worth his time, so maybe he doesn't want help.
Don't know.

Generally, when they give you a business card and you call it, they would either answer it right away, IF they are still at work, or go to VM (Oopps, Voice Mail) which you could leave a message and wait for them to call you back if they are still working, could still take more than an hour, particularly if they are off work, or on another job.

I don't think it's egregious using SW in a forum about receivers. I understand some newer people or someone not into updating and upgrading may not know all the shortcuts.
Perhaps. And to preface, I am not one for dumbing down of anything.
However, I have been around this stuff for quite a long time,. Longer than most. Even still I rarely pay attention to abbreviations and code.
I find it impolite to use these things in mixed company such as an open forum.
Plus, I think it is just plain lazy to not type the words. I will use the abbreviation in parentheses after the spelled out version. Newspaper reporters do this.

Reactions: ejb1980
I'm not a Millennial. I'm on the cusp of being 60. I have no problems with the abbreviations. The thing is, I've had Directv for 18 yrs. (doing almost all the work myself). If one is having problems with abbreviations, all you have to do is put directv in front of of it. Searching "pi" may not be helpful, but searching for "directv pi" and it suddenly becomes power inserter.
Some of the ones being discussed are common ones used in forums. If someone is having problems with them, they better just get used to it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)