Previous balance owed

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
So today I got on chat with a dish CSR to pay off my remainder outstanding balance which is only 25.00. I get daily calls from a collection agency who I've told I'm going directly through dish paying it off. They said oh well you still owe $50 when are you going to pay? I tell them it's being handled and to please stop calling but they don't get the hint . So on chat I ask the CSR If they have any buyouts on the etf with other providers. The rep says no. Then says let me give you a quote and if it saves you more than $20 a month then you should just switch now .

I said no I would owe D $400 in ETF charges. He says well once you pay that outstanding amount then I can qualify you for new customer pricing. I say nah I just want to pay what I owe. He then says well I'll take the payment if you sign up with me today for new service. So how can I qualify for new customer pricing its only been 2 months since I've left Dish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way debt works once its sold to another party the outfit that originally had the debt has to remove it from their systems.
"Double jeopardy" applies to the credit rating world also.

If Dish still has your debt in their system and they have sold your debt to a third party that is illegal. A debt cannot hit your credit rating multiple times that is a violation under the FRCA.

Once your dish account has a zero balance, after 60 days you can qualify for former customer discounts, which are almost identical to new customer promotions.

Reactions: SomeDishGuy
If Dish still has your debt in their system and they have sold your debt to a third party that is illegal. A debt cannot hit your credit rating multiple times that is a violation under the FRCA.
Is it possible that Dish still "owns" the debt and contracts with a 3rd-party to collect the money, which they then pay Dish with ? The fact that Dish still shows the balance on their side suggests that this might be the case. I had something similar with a medical lab - we were going back and forth about the right "codes" for insurance but in the meantime, we started getting letters from some sort of collection agency. I called the lab and they looked things up, saw what was going on, and the letters stopped.

Several things. Each case can vary, etc, but in general, if you owed dish, even if a collection company is trying to collect, it still shows in the Dish system, you can still pay Dish directly. The agent was slightly wrong about something. If we at Dish collect your payment to get to zero, once that goes from pending to paid (overnight-ish), you THEN can get to sales to set up a new account, if you meet three criteria. 1. No outstanding balance. 2. Been at least 60 days since Dish service. 3. No outstanding/unreturned leased equipment. If you meet the three, you can be transferred to sales to be set up with new customer discounts.

If Dish has turned your account over to a collection agency, you owe both Dish AND the collection agency.

Exact structure varies according to state law.

You wouldn't owe both, if collection has it you owe them now. There could be a collection fee tacked on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)