previous hd dvd exclusive releases

kev1782

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
so will studios who previously released in hd dvd format only go back and re-release those movies in blu ray? what about tv series that released seasons on hd dvd only, like NBC's Heroes?

I don't think so. Paramount might go back and release its backstock. I don't think Universal will. The only majors I se them rereleasing are major titles like Transformers, Bourne (maybe in a boxset), Shrek (also maybe in a box set), and possibly a few others. Most of the catalog titles didn;t sell well in either format. What I see these two doing is doing day/date, and releasing new catalog titles, possibly some major ones finally that we all want like JP, Indy, Forest, etc.

S~

I'm keeping my HD DVD's for just in case something like that happens. I have gotten so spoiled watching movies in HD. I am going to take my duplicate SD's down to our local "Buy em-Sell em" store and round up some cash. I want more HD movies.

I don't think so. Paramount might go back and release its backstock. I don't think Universal will. The only majors I se them rereleasing are major titles like Transformers, Bourne (maybe in a boxset), Shrek (also maybe in a box set), and possibly a few others. Most of the catalog titles didn;t sell well in either format. What I see these two doing is doing day/date, and releasing new catalog titles, possibly some major ones finally that we all want like JP, Indy, Forest, etc.

S~

They already spent money on getting the titles ready for HD. So I expect all of them will be re-released in Blu-Ray (unless they REALLY sold badly on HD-DVD) sometime in the next two years. Of course they will concentrate on the big money makers and new releases first.

Two years isn't a bad time table. I would think it would be closer to 3. Warner hasn't even released any of their HD DVD exclusives yet.

Paramount will probably do Transformers sooner than later. Hot Rod and A Mighty Heart might take awhile.

I suspect it's replication and physical production costs that are the large investment in a release, so the fact that they may already be authored is somewhat irrelevant.

I'd expect nothing but the new releases and the show off movies (Transformers, larger budget action/kid movies) and just be surprised if they do more, for now at least.

Two years isn't a bad time table. I would think it would be closer to 3. Warner hasn't even released any of their HD DVD exclusives yet.

Paramount will probably do Transformers sooner than later. Hot Rod and A Mighty Heart might take awhile.
Rumor has it the Blu-ray version of Transformers has already been authored. Probably before they went HD DVD exclusive.

The Digital Bits - Celebrating Film in the Digital Age

Rumor has it the Blu-ray version of Transformers has already been authored.
The BD version must have a higher video bitrate and at least a lossless track to give the BD fanboys at least a fiscal reason to say:
"See how much better it is? What, you don't see/hear it? You must be completely blind/deaf!"

If it's just a repackaging (Warner-style) of the HD version - since they don't use BD+ this will become clear immediately - it won't sell as good as the first HD release, I think.

Diogen.

Warner gave the Blu-Ray guys a Dolby Digital :eek: version of Michael Clayton. Maybe they really were planning on dumping Blu and going HD DVD before flip flopping at the 11th hour.

The BD version must have a higher video bitrate and at least a lossless track to give the BD fanboys at least a fiscal reason to say:
"See how much better it is? What, you don't see/hear it? You must be completely blind/deaf!"

If it's just a repackaging (Warner-style) of the HD version - since they don't use BD+ this will become clear immediately - it won't sell as good as the first HD release, I think.

Diogen.

I don't recall Paramount ever providing PCM to Blu-Ray discs--usually crappy 640kbps Dolby Digital whereas HD DVD usually got Dolby Digital Plus (and rarely TrueHD).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts