Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Why is there such a price hike between brand new 10 and 12 foot dish's? I have seen this at more than one retailer. Short of extra shipping charges for the larger dish, it seems like there is nearly a 1000 dollar price difference between a 10 footer and 12 footer.

The price difference between free and freer? Have a drive to the countryside and ask around! There are many a dish out there for the asking! Both 10 and 12 footers! Seriously dude...seriously! Just kidding! Goalie....I know you know where to find em...are you looking to purchase new?

I payed about $750.00 for my 12 foot in 1989. 10's were going for around $500.00, that was back in the hayday when new c band consumer dishes were plentiful. These days when you get into 12 foot and larger dishes you getting into the commercial market. This is why they cost more. Any consumer 12 ft models still made are very few, this also drives prices up. Keep looking around, there has to be a used 12 with your name on it someplace out near you. Back in the late 80's and early 90's many c band systems were sold in your area. My friend at Vincor in Monee put up quite a few.

I payed about $750.00 for my 12 foot in 1989. 10's were going for around $500.00, that was back in the hayday when new c band consumer dishes were plentiful. These days when you get into 12 foot and larger dishes you getting into the commercial market. This is why they cost more. Any consumer 12 ft models still made are very few, this also drives prices up. Keep looking around, there has to be a used 12 with your name on it someplace out near you. Back in the late 80's and early 90's many c band systems were sold in your area. My friend at Vincor in Monee put up quite a few.

Yea Im finding alot of the wineguard 7 1/2 footers. My only issue is getting one home when I find it :)

Vincor was big on Winegards. I almost bought a Winegard 10 footer from them but Rob from Vincor and I came to the conclusion the gain I was looking for required a 12 footer. So I bought the 12XL Unimesh from them.

7.5's shouldn't be a big deal to move even in one piece. My 12 came in the back of a pick up from Vincor in 4 sections. They had a bit of distance to come with it too. Monee-Manhattan road to me is about 25 to 30 miles.

... My only issue is getting one home when I find it :)

I usually haul my BUDs on the back of a pickup in one piece especially if it is close by. If scratching a pickup is a concern, then borrow a trailer for hauling lawn mowers and ATVs if you do not have one. The trailer is also lower to the ground which makes loading easier. Alot of trailers are wider than a pickup and the extra width sure comes in handy! ;)

I usually haul my BUDs on the back of a pickup in one piece especially if it is close by. If scratching a pickup is a concern, then borrow a trailer for hauling lawn mowers and ATVs if you do not have one. The trailer is also lower to the ground which makes loading easier. Alot of trailers are wider than a pickup and the extra width sure comes in handy! ;)

No pickup and trailer here! :(

Vincor was big on Winegards. I almost bought a Winegard 10 footer from them but Rob from Vincor and I came to the conclusion the gain I was looking for required a 12 footer. So I bought the 12XL Unimesh from them.

7.5's shouldn't be a big deal to move even in one piece. My 12 came in the back of a pick up from Vincor in 4 sections. They had a bit of distance to come with it too. Monee-Manhattan road to me is about 25 to 30 miles.

I once took the EL from downtown Chicago to Wrigley and it amazes me how many unattended cband dish's (12 footers) are on the top of many 3 flats. Many in really good condition. If I had a way of getting those things down without hurting anything, anyone or the dish, I would have a whole fleet of 12 footers! I just wonder how they got them upthere! Even in panels it would be tough to get up there!

I once took the EL from downtown Chicago to Wrigley and it amazes me how many unattended cband dish's (12 footers) are on the top of many 3 flats. Many in really good condition. If I had a way of getting those things down without hurting anything, anyone or the dish, I would have a whole fleet of 12 footers! I just wonder how they got them upthere! Even in panels it would be tough to get up there!

Most people got those up in panels using ropes. Years ago my ex business partner put up a 10 foot on his 2 story building in Hyde Park. It was pulled up with ropes in quarters than assembled on the roof.

12 footers are nice because they give you the edge on weak signals. The reason I went from a 10 to a 12 was back in those days you were dealing with 5 watt birds that were running maybe 3.5 to 4 watts tops. There was allot of sparklie action back then. You really needed a good 5 db above threshold to get rid of the sparkles in the reds. My 10 just wasn't cutting it on birds like F3 and F4. G1 was passable and the Anik's smoked in here on the 10. When I went to the 12, F3 and F4 looked much better. As the birds got hotter it wasn't as much of a big deal to have such a big dish with analog except for the 2 degree spacing issue. Now with digital some of the 7/8 FEC and S2 stuff once again requires gain so the 12 is a winning move.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)