Price Increase!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I thought that they said no price incrase this year.

Geronimo said:
I thought that they said no price incrase this year.

I am not surprised, if I recall D* said the same thing just after E* announced Feb 1 05 increase in Dec 04, then D* announced their own increase in Jan 05 for a Mar 1 05 increase, just like this year. When one provider announces an increase you can almost always bet that the other will soon follow.

Great .

Buggy non tivo DVRs. No new National High Def channels and a price increase after stating one wouldn't happen.

Sounds a lot like DISH network. Did the merger actually go through and they didn't tell anyone?

That just about figures. I read where they had no planned increases this year but that seemed vague. I also read where they may also lower the prices but that must have just been a rumor posted by someone else that was not true. Maybe they figure if they had to lower prices they would have to raise them first. I would expect the prices to match Dish Network's price increases. That's a given.

you would think that when a competitor would raise prices, they would keep the same price, or even lower it.. Lower prices could sway some customers who were thinking of changing anyway, and the prospect of saving money would just seal the deal... EVEN IF IT IS ONLY $2.

jhamps10 said:
you would think that when a competitor would raise prices, they would keep the same price, or even lower it.. Lower prices could sway some customers who were thinking of changing anyway, and the prospect of saving money would just seal the deal... EVEN IF IT IS ONLY $2.

Yeah. but they actually have to make money on the monthly rates. Otherwise, there would be no freebies for new subs.

This goes against what I had heard that they were actually looking at lowering prices and including the HD package in TCP.

maogdamian said:
Just found out today that directv is going to have a price increase. Well find out next tuesday the amounts. Hopefully its not too much. Dishnetwork is only $2 more expensive right now. So hopefully our price increase will either match or be less than dish's. Scott may have some info before i do. Ill let you know more as i hear more.
Grrrrrr
were did you get this info?

I also heard the same thing that the rates would actually be going DOWN a little on select packages.

I also hear the HD package was going to be FREE in the Total Choice Platinum package.

But I have heard NOTHING of an increase

minorthr said:
This goes against what I had heard that they were actually looking at lowering prices and including the HD package in TCP.

The lower price may have bean the new TC Family pack that is $7/mo less then current TC. Maybe on TCP they will raise rate but include HD Pack for Free or at a discount. All of this is pure speculation, but I would not be surprised to see D* add the HD pack as the 6th Premium package, perhaps raising it to $12 if you get it buy it's self like other premiums, and giving it a discount if you bundle it with a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th premium with TCP simply including the HD pack as the 6th premium.

Whoops sorry no new package, it will be in the top Total Choice Package. (Ok this is a rumor so the HD package MAY become a part of that package) :D

OK LOL Scott! The current Total Choice Premier is what the HD pack MIGHT be added to & there is no Platinum Package. I hate the fact that ESPN's stuff anf TBS, TNT are not in the family pack, but that would ruin jumping up in pkg.

FAMILY

Directv Add Total Choice Family Tier

DIRECTV to Offer Family Programming Package; New Tier Offers More Than 40 Channels of Family-Friendly Programming Including Boomerang, Disney, Noggin, PBS Kids Sprout and a Wide Variety of Public Interest Channels

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 18, 2006--DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading digital television service provider, will offer a new family-friendly programming package in mid-April.

The DIRECTV TOTAL CHOICE(R) Family package will include more than 40 channels of programming suitable for family and younger viewers, including some of the most popular family-oriented channels like Boomerang, Disney, PBS Kids Sprout, National Geographic and Noggin, and 12 Public Interest channels that provide a wide array of programming including NASA, National Religious Broadcast Network, Link TV and World Harvest TV.

"The new DIRECTV TOTAL CHOICE Family programming package is appropriate for viewing by family members of all ages and includes popular children's, religious and general family entertainment programming," said Dan Fawcett, executive vice president, Programming, DIRECTV, Inc. "We have answered the call from concerned parents and policymakers and have designed a programming package to meet the needs of DIRECTV families."

In addition to providing a new tier of family-friendly programming, DIRECTV continues to offer free parental locks and limits features on all of its systems/receivers that enable parents to lock out entire channels, block access to specific programs based on TV or MPAA rating, or restrict TV viewing hours.

Consistent with other DIRECTV programming offers, the TOTAL CHOICE(R) Family programming package will offer consumers more family channels at the best value. The TOTAL CHOICE Family package will be available nationwide for $34.99 a month and will include local broadcast channels and the following programming services:

- Bloomberg - National Geographic Channel
- Boomerang - Nickelodeon/Nick at Night East
- BYU TV - Nickelodeon/Nick at Night West
- CNN Headline News - Nicktoons
- C-SPAN 1 - Noggin/The N
- C-SPAN 2 - NRB Network
- Daystar - Once TV
- Discovery Kids - PBS Kids Sprout
- Disney East - QVC
- Disney West - RFD TV
- DIY Network - Shop at Home
- EWTN - Shop NBC
- Fit-TV - TCT Network
- Food Network - The Science Channel
- Hallmark Channel - The Weather Channel
- HGTV - Toon Disney
- HITN - Trinity Broadcasting Network
- HSN - Word Network
- Link TV - World Harvest Network
- NASA TV - XM Disney Radio
- XM Kids

from http://phoenix.corporate-ir.net/phoe...719&highlight=

Last edited:
Hopefully they will not raise prices, but it would be nice for them to shake their programing packages a bit. Seems like its been the same layout for a while? If they do increase, hopefully they would add programing like HBO/Cinemax together and the sports package being included. I

like sports, but when you are paying that fee for a majority of FSN channels, that you already get with your local FSN, the cost for that just does not add up!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts