Pricing Info. for new customer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stevelite

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
Hello everyone.

I am trying to defect to DTV. I am a new customer.
The way I calculate the cost, each leased fee for receiver is $4.99 per month.
My question is what if I don't lease, but buy them. Do I still have to pay something per month similar to access fee?

I am looking at Total choice package with 4 receivers plus international programming. If I choose 1 of 4 Receivers as DVR, then there is $5.99 month. If I choose 2 of 4 Receivers as DVR, do I get billed $5.99 x 2 month for DVR service?

Thanks,

Wether you lease or own there is a $4.99 fee applied to each additional receiver, it is either a lease fee or a mirroring fee(only semantics). Directv only charges one DVR fee per account irregardless of the number of DVRs on the account.

Assuming you buy you stbs online (i.e. not from D*), and assuming D* puts them as owned (instead of leased), then instead of the 5 dollar a month lease fee, you will pay a 5 dollar mirroring fee (instead of the lease fee).

If you lease from D* for the 5 dollar lease fee, you also get free servicing if the stb dies, if you own the stb and wants a service contract, it's like 5-6 bucks on owned stbs.

To summarize, to question 1, yes, but it will be called a mirror fee (every box after the first box).

As for question 2, ONE dvr fee covers all the dvrs on the account, so its 5.99 x 1.

EDIT: Darn it, boba beat me to it...oh well. ;)

damaged said:
If you lease from D* for the 5 dollar lease fee, you also get free servicing if the stb dies,

I'd double check that. I just leased an R-10 from Directv and found out that it is covered for 90 days, but then after that, if something happens to it, its my baby. I was told that there is a protection plan for about $5 extra every month (in addition to the lease fee) that covers all receivers but I didn't get it.

I hope I was given wrong info but thats what they told me!

If you leased your R10, then after the first 90 days all you're on the hook for if it goes bad is the shipping cost-about $19.95 , IIRC.

Yes, guess I was given bad info from the CSR last week . I emailed Directv today and here was my answer...

"Thanks for writing. If your leased receiver ever stops working, we'll replace it for free. Leasing your DIRECTV receiver not only saves you money at activation, it also makes upgrading equipment much more affordable."
Directv

So why would anyone opt for the protection plan?

Rhinoman said:
So why would anyone opt for the protection plan?

If you have _owned_ equipment, and one wants service protection for that non-leased equipment, one might want to opt for it, or not have it at all.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)