Prime Tme Anytime

Imagine how much more these boards will explode once we all have one or two in our hands reporting our observations, complaints and wows. These multiple threads on the hopper are nothing compared to what they will be. ;)
I know...I try not to comment outside of the subject of thread but with everyone so amped about it... every subject eventually leans that way and then I forgot where I was in some thread talking about this or that.....ITS ALL ABOUT HOPPER/JOEY!!!!!!:rant:

HEY SCOTT!!!

You have HAD to confirm this same thing in several threads about the extension (and I have no doubt), HOWEVER, there seem to be a bunch skeptics who seem to need to know HOW this works before they believe it WILL work. So, how about trying to ask Vivek about the HOW so to appease all the Doubting Thomas's.

I wasn't sure what thread to post this in since there are many "kangaroo" threads going on. Anyways, I was wondering if Primetime Anytime will work on the AAD feeds. In all my thread reading, it seems unlikely, but thought I'd throw the question out there. Thanks.

The Networks in Puerto Rico just look awful, and none of them are in HD. If I buy a Hopper, I hope my PRIME TIME ANYTIME can really Hop and come from Chicago, New York or somewhere else...

Last edited:
If there is a sports program, Hopper automatically adds on time so nothing is missed. :)

Seems to me, it only pads the timer when the event you specifically record is a sporting event. If the guide says NFL from 5pm to 8pm, and 8-8:30pm is How I Met Your Mother, then how will the hopper know that it needs to pad the PrimeTimeAnywhere block when that block is the only thing it is looking to record, starting at the normal 8pm timeslot? Perhaps the hopper has a provision to do this...

My thinking is that Hopper's handling is an extension of the current "extend sports events by an hour" feature, as follows:

1. Sports event is extended by an hour, if scheduled to record by the user (current functionality).
2. If PrimeTime Anytime is enabled, and Hopper sees any sporting event on a Big 4 network before or during PrimeTime, Hopper extends PrimeTime for the same hour for that evening on that channel. (Note that this would have the side-effect of tying up the 3rd tuner for an extra hour).

Now, where that gets REALLY interesting is that the PTAT feature is supposed to be implemented by just recording the entire transponder and sorting it out on playback. So extending PTAT by an hour probably means that in addition to the channel(s) actually recorded by the extension, it probably actually has all 4. The question is does whatever "extra" has been recorded (likely late-night news) become available or is it hidden?

The OTHER question I still have about PTAT is if a local sporting event preempts normal network programming, will Hopper figure out when to grab the "missed" show (probably not; I know frequently here in Pittsburgh we end up setting a MANUAL timer for that because the guide doesn't actually get properly updated with the re-airing; so I sure hope Hopper has proper manual timers in-place or my wife's not gonna like it :) )

Since we do not know how it will actually handle late ending sports, I will speculate it will do it better than present receivers. It has the ability to see the four networks differently than all other channels, so I am thinking there will be some trigger also associated with those four networks - looking at that specific transponder. I know in the past anyway there was an audible time code whenever a program started on some of the networks. Perhaps there still is something that can be used by Dish to know when the program starts?

My 722k adds one hour to all my football games, but does not add any time to the programs that follow sporting events. I had to pad Good Wife an extra hour to be sure the dvr does not miss the end of it.

My 722k adds one hour to all my football games, but does not add any time to the programs that follow sporting events. I had to pad Good Wife an extra hour to be sure the dvr does not miss the end of it.

I think what is being said here is that the Hopper will also pad the Prime Time as well. A program that follows a sporting event will be padded out the same one hour. So, if something has a normal start time of 10, ending at 11, will record all the way to 12, automatically....

The Hopper only uses one tuner to record the four channels, reducing conflicts!
-
Records from 7 to 10 p.m. MT (8 to 11 p.m. ET) Monday through Saturday and 6 to 10 p.m. MT (7 to 11 p.m. ET) Sunday.
-
The general rule is: if 50% of the event falls within the recording window, it will be tagged and recorded.
-
Sporting events have a 60 minute add-on at the end in case your game goes long.

PrimeTime Anytime recordings do not take up customer-allocated DVR space.

PTAT is not magic. It records the spotbeam stream for prime time. If one particular channel has its time messed up I do not see that being correctable without some sort of coding built into the digital stream (not).

The DVR does not know what it is recording it just knows when the guide tells it to fire and when the guide tells it to stop.

With PTAT all four are recorded en-masse so they cannot delay one channel while continuing to record the other 3.

Perhaps there will be some padding on the end of the prime time slot on sundays, but don't count on it.

PTAT is not magic. It records the spotbeam stream for prime time. If one particular channel has its time messed up I do not see that being correctable without some sort of coding built into the digital stream (not).

The DVR does not know what it is recording it just knows when the guide tells it to fire and when the guide tells it to stop.

With PTAT all four are recorded en-masse so they cannot delay one channel while continuing to record the other 3.

Perhaps there will be some padding on the end of the prime time slot on sundays, but don't count on it.
Yep, that's why I keep questioning the answers provided here. Currently, the guide doesn't adjust when prime time programs are delayed, and the guide is the only thing that tells what's in the stream at what time. Even if there is some padding at the end of the block to capture overruns, if you tell it you want to save Amazing Race (8:00-9:00), if the channel stream is delayed, you will get some of 60 Minutes in the beginning and chop off the ending of Amazing Race, unless you tell it to save the program after it as well.

Last edited:
The Hopper only uses one tuner to record the four channels, reducing conflicts!
-
Records from 7 to 10 p.m. MT (8 to 11 p.m. ET) Monday through Saturday and 6 to 10 p.m. MT (7 to 11 p.m. ET) Sunday.
-
The general rule is: if 50% of the event falls within the recording window, it will be tagged and recorded.
-
Sporting events have a 60 minute add-on at the end in case your game goes long.

PrimeTime Anytime recordings do not take up customer-allocated DVR space.

This is from a pretty reputable source. Don't really know if I am allowed to mention because I'm relatively new to getting on here and such. Been a member for a while but just started actually getting on here etc.

I have a question that I don't believe has been asked, so here goes. As an example, I watch the Thursday night comedies on NBC. When I record, I either have to record as a two hour block, or I alternate the fours shows between the two tuners. The reason I do this is because the shows run a minute or so over. If I record each show separately for 30 minutes, the ending gets cut off, and even though the ending is on the beginning of the next show, a few seconds are always missing. My questions is how will the PTAT handle this? If I choose to watch one of the shows from the PTAT menu, will I see the entire episode, or will the ending get cut off like it would now? Thanks.

malt said:
I have a question that I don't believe has been asked, so here goes. As an example, I watch the Thursday night comedies on NBC. When I record, I either have to record as a two hour block, or I alternate the fours shows between the two tuners. The reason I do this is because the shows run a minute or so over. If I record each show separately for 30 minutes, the ending gets cut off, and even though the ending is on the beginning of the next show, a few seconds are always missing. My questions is how will the PTAT handle this? If I choose to watch one of the shows from the PTAT menu, will I see the entire episode, or will the ending get cut off like it would now? Thanks.

I believe I remember someone saying that the PTA recordings get separated using the default 1 minute early, 3 minute end late so it "should" cover that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)