Primestar 40x30 Install help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Spike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Suburbs of Milwaukee
I just purchased the Primestar 40x30. I am going to have an Invacom 0.3dB LNB, which I will use for Dish Network/Ku-Band. But, I am also hoping to use this for C-band reception as well, so, do any of you have a good recommendation in mind for a C-Band LNB? In addition, does a clamp like the one I have attached to this post work for this type of an install?? If not, what works?

:hungry:

Attachments

• 61_1.JPG.jpg
    61_1.JPG.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 122
Plus I found when I added a C-Band LNBF to an off set 40" dish the elevation was WAY off. So both LNB's would have to be at vastly different heights!

PSB said:
Plus I found when I added a C-Band LNBF to an off set 40" dish the elevation was WAY off. So both LNB's would have to be at vastly different heights!

Would I be better off with a two dish install then?

Iwould say so, but half the fun of this project was just trying it and see how you get on!

Ahhhhhhhhhh, an appeal to my creative side. Where is my daughter who is 9 when I need her?

Thanks, I think I am going to get a small KU-band dish, set that up first. Then go for a C/KU band install! Muahahahahaha.... I'm going to love this. How fun!

Hi Spike

I always see the C band dishes pointed way higher, but thought that it was because the lnb is mounted right in the middle (focal point of a sphere), therefore the dish is aimed directly at the satellite.
I assume that KU band dishes have a shape that accounts for bouncing the signal down to the lnb mounted at the bottom.
This also makes sense if you are trying to avoid blocking the signal by having the lnb right in the middle.
If my theory is right (please correct me if I'm wrong, I won't be offended and will learn from it), it would mean that your C band lnb would not need to be mounted any higher than the KUs as long as the elevation is goor for KU.

Also, where can I buy one of those dishes and are they expensive?

Thanks

Most C-Band dish are primefocus, LNBF in the middle and the dish points directly at the satellite.

On my offset 40" I could not get the C-Bnad LNBF in the exact focal point thus the elevation was way off.

playyymaster said:
I Also, where can I buy one of those dishes and are they expensive?
Thanks

I purchased mine from an ebay seller. It took me a couple of days of going back to ebay to actually find one. But, I got mine for $89, shipping included. You can purchase 90 cm and 100 cm new dishes from on-line dealers. The only problem is though, they charge as much or more, in some cases, just for shipping.

I'm going to give mine a fresh coat of paint, and let er rip!

PSB, did you at that point discontinue the project? The reason for my question is, a dealer told me 5' minimal Dish size for all C-band is necessary.... Is this true??

The LNBF HAS to be at the exact same height and distance from the dish as you can get it, that was my problem as the C-Band LNBF neck dia. was much bigger. So elevation was way off, the good news is C-Band signals seem to much more forgiving.

Spike said:
PSB, did you at that point discontinue the project? The reason for my question is, a dealer told me 5' minimal Dish size for all C-band is necessary.... Is this true??

Spike
Normally 5 feet is the minimum for C-Band…usually the bigger the better. I remember saying 5 foot minimum. The main reason is interference from adjacent satellites. Since most KU/C band satellites are 2 degrees apart, the bigger the dish the better it can fine tune in at that satellite

I know a couple people did it with a 4 footer and then Pete did it with the Primestar. I still have mine but its too cold and snowy to work on it : (

playyymaster said:
I always see the C band dishes pointed way higher, but thought that it was because the lnb is mounted right in the middle (focal point of a sphere), therefore the dish is aimed directly at the satellite.
I assume that KU band dishes have a shape that accounts for bouncing the signal down to the lnb mounted at the bottom.
This also makes sense if you are trying to avoid blocking the signal by having the lnb right in the middle.
If my theory is right (please correct me if I'm wrong, I won't be offended and will learn from it), it would mean that your C band lnb would not need to be mounted any higher than the KUs as long as the elevation is goor for KU.
Also, where can I buy one of those dishes and are they expensive?
Thanks
Here is a 90 cm mini bud .
Wyr

Attachments

• Mini-BUD 005.jpg
    Mini-BUD 005.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 126
  • Mini-BUD 003.jpg
    Mini-BUD 003.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 146
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)