Primestar 84E/BSC621-2 LNBF Experiment

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I would recommend a HH120 or 100 (preferably a 120)

Dont get me wrong. There are people who use a 1.2m dish with a SG2100 but they usually fabricate a bracket on the back to get alot of the weight off the back of the dish.

I just find some of your comments cryptic and not informative. In another thread you said that Linuxman's Primestar experiment was tinkerig and belittled It by your comment. As a forum moderator you should keep an open mind to what others are doing. There are a few guys here that like to POOH POOH anybodies ideas.

When I first came on this forum (Newbie) I kept getting my entries to a contest deleted and didn't understand why. If your going to do that then you should explain why.

Sorry, I made you lose your temper and you swore, there should be no place for that in any forum.

I have enjoyed seeing others get excited about the work that some of the posters to this thread have done. Being that there is such great interest in this subject, being "a waste of time and resources" and "Tinkering" are better not said.

Over 5,000 viewings :cool:

I'd like to thank all who have supported this and hope that the work continues.

SATCOM1

Hoss, I appreciate your effort. I am glad you are doing as well as you are. those of us with actual c-band dishes know that you will never even be close to the results we get with a proper sized dish. There are TP's on those birds up there you will never get a whisp of a signal on. We KNOW from past experience that it is useless to try, because all you ever are going to see is the stronger TP's on cband, no matter WHAT you do to that 84e.

So doing what some of you are doing with those tiny dishes is a waste of our time. Its not personal, hells bells man I gave you a dish, complete with a custom made motor adaptor, if I had doubts you would have never gotten it. We just don't get excited by signals that are just above threshold, so when a cloud passes you lose the signal.

By all means, continue. Just don't be mad that we all don't share your opinion or enthusiasm.:)

And kindly lay off Ice, if you would, he is the coolest Mod on Satelliteguys. We get away with stuff in here that would be banning offences on other parts of the site. Scott gives us our own quiet little corner over here, we like to keep it that way, nice and quiet where we can do our thing. :cool:

the HH100 & 120 have the shaft sticking up (versus the SG2100 where its down) and are built pretty good. I had a HH120 a while back. Good part is they dont have a small shaft on them for the "standard" dishes. They use a 2" mast on it for the bigger dishes to be mounted with little or no fabrication :)

Hoss, I appreciate your effort. I am glad you are doing as well as you are. those of us with actual c-band dishes know that you will never even be close to the results we get with a proper sized dish. There are TP's on those birds up there you will never get a whisp of a signal on. We KNOW from past experience that it is useless to try, because all you ever are going to see is the stronger TP's on cband, no matter WHAT you do to that 84e.

So doing what some of you are doing with those tiny dishes is a waste of our time. Its not personal, hells bells man I gave you a dish, complete with a custom made motor adaptor, if I had doubts you would have never gotten it. We just don't get excited by signals that are just above threshold, so when a cloud passes you lose the signal.

By all means, continue. Just don't be mad that we all don't share your opinion or enthusiasm.:)
:up:up:clap:clap very well put Stogie.

And kindly lay off Ice, if you would, he is the coolest Mod on Satelliteguys. We get away with stuff in here that would be banning offences on other parts of the site. Scott gives us our own quiet little corner over here, we like to keep it that way, nice and quiet where we can do our thing. :cool:
thanks for the kind words. And you're right. Scott gave us the FTA area 4 years ago. When satelliteguys started we didn't have a FTA area. We were relegated to the "general satellite" area. But Scott gave us the FTA area and said "that's your playground. Have fun" and unlike other areas here at satguys, Scott doesn't come in as mod/staff/admin/owner whatever and run it like he wants. He lets US the members run it. Kinda self serving. The members usually all get along and we LEARN from each other. :)

not even close according to the specs (which with all specs take with grain of salt)

from sadoun's site

SG2100
Rotation Speed 1.9? / sec ( at 13V) ; 2.5 ?/ sec ( at 18V)

HH120
Rotation speed
0.7°/s (18V);0.4°/s(13V)

HH100
Rotation speed
1.8°/s(18V);1.2°/s(13V)

looks like sadoun DG280 would possibly handle a 120cm dish and does move faster
Speed 1.9° / sec (at 13V) ; 2.5° / sec (at 18V)

here is a list of the motors and specs
http://sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Motors/HH-Motors.htm

Hey Bloomdog-

I babysat for my 2 1/2 year old grandson on Wednesday. I was actually a little scared when my daughter got in her car and drove down the driveway, Just at that moment the Dish network receiver said "Smart card no longer valid for this receiver" and we lost Curious George.

I looked for a Baby Einstien DVD to play but couldn't figure out how to switch to the DVD player.

Well, we had a great time anyhow. He was sitting so close to me when his mother came home that she had to take a picture. :D

Beautiful. Grandchildren are the best. I am only 48 yrs. old so I still have the energy to chase after my grandaughter:up

Well, I have been reading up on conical feed horns, smooth and corrugated, and have made a few prototypes. I have posted pictures.

Bottom line-- the smooth horns without scalar rings brought in no signal. I tried three different sizes. All no good.

For kicks, I tried a homemade version of the commercial conical feed horn out of a cereal bowl lined with aluminum foil and scalar rings made from aluminum flashing. Results: No signal. I just threw this together without any measurements or calculations. I must saw that it workd as good as the smooth horns which were carefully calculated.;)

I tried adding scalar rings to the shallow horn (design thanks to Satcomm1). The signal was about the same as the flat scalar ring which came with the c-band lnbf.

I did have some slight success when I simply added rings of aluminum flasing to teh already existing flat scalar rings. Signal Quality went up generally about 3% on my Coolsat 6000 premium compared to the flat scalar ring which came with the scalar ring.

Note: I seemed to have a very difficult time today even finding the birds. Maybe I need to rethink how I mounted the lnbf to the dish arms. Also, I am beginning to get the feeling that the footprint of signal strength does nopt favor the northeast (I'm near Boston), as there doesn't seem to be a lot out there to work with. Also, I purchased a new C-Band Lnbf from ebay (came from Autralia--made in China) for $20, including shipping. It's solely a CBand lnbf and not a dual C/Ku Bnad like the one I am using. It seems DOA. Not a great day.

here are the photos

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    298.8 KB · Views: 162
  • P1010008.JPG
    P1010008.JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 134
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    346.1 KB · Views: 163
  • P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    299.2 KB · Views: 149
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    324.9 KB · Views: 153
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    299.6 KB · Views: 147
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 178
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 158
Nice one. If that pic is recent it looks like that dish and mount are almost new.

Picture is just a sample. Same dish but not my roof.

Will post when I get to install the dish.

Will be upgrading current dish with this one.

Attachments

• DSC00203.JPG
    DSC00203.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 165
  • oldcard%20404.jpg
    oldcard%20404.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 142
Finally installed the Prodelin 1130 series 1.2 m dish and I am very happy with its performance.:D

Very strong reception of C band & Ku.

Also motorized with my existing SG 2100 H to H motor.

Heres the pics

Attachments

• DSC00264.JPG
    DSC00264.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC00265.JPG
    DSC00265.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC00266.JPG
    DSC00266.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC00268.JPG
    DSC00268.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC00269.JPG
    DSC00269.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC00270.JPG
    DSC00270.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC00272.JPG
    DSC00272.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC00271.JPG
    DSC00271.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 180
Yea, but this 1.2m dish takes you to the next level.
With it, you really deserve your own thread. - :up
This is no longer the 1m or 84e which others have tried.
Several guys around here have their own 1.2's, and they perform.
A 1.2 is in a class by itself. ;)

I'd be interested in hearing what you can get on it.

And even more interesting, where in LA did you run across such a nice commercial dish?
I may have to go a-hunting. :cool:
edit: I have seen what looked like a 1m dish on a service station, but 1.2's are rare.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)