Primestar Antenna

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kingofku

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
Riverside County, California
Just picked up a Primestar antenna. Can anyone recommend a good LNB that will fit the cradle on the feedhorn? The one that is currently there doesn't fit snugly and has a piece of plastic wedged between the clamp and lnb to keep it from moving.

King, I've got a 36" Primestar. I just took a piece of metal strapping and made a strap to hold it. Others have used electrical conduit clamps etc...There may be an lnb that will fit...I just adapted what I had....Blind

I have cut styrofoam strips from plates about one inch wide to use as shims for mine. I just tape the ends and add as much styrofoam as I need to fill the void.

If you don't pack it too tightly, you can still adjust the skew without loosening the bolts.

You can attach legacy or dish pro lnbs this way -- or any lnb which will slip into the circle. I'm using standard and universal fta lnb's now.
]
I love my Primestars. I'm running four now. They're fixed dishes running into a
4x1 switch. With dual lnb's you can run two receivers at once very cheaply and easily. They've been running since 2004. I've pointed them at fta satellites since last June. I'm getting 97Wku, 101Wku, 99Wku and 123Wku.

Happy satellite hunting!!!

Another thing. There are two types of dishes. The oval dishes have a large lnb hole. The elliptical dish has two bolt holes with a very small lnb hole in the middle.

If you use the strapping to mount your lnb, it is probably not perfectly centered in the arm because of the small diameter of the hole. The lnb will kind of sit on top of the hole. You'll figure out easily which dish you have when you try to install the lnb. I've used the metal strapping, too, on my elliptical installations.

From your description, you probably have the larger center hole which requires shimming up to use.

This is one reason I prefer the larger oval dish instead. It gets weaker signals because its a larger dish. And the aftermarket lnb installation looks better on the oval dish.

I've heard that the stock Primestar lnb works for fta. You'd just run the H and V output into two different inputs of your 4x1 switch.

You probably won't be able to put the dust cover on because of the shape of add-on lnb's. It looks pretty good regardless!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)