Primestar dish and Invacom LNB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cosmokramer11

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Queens
I hooked up my dish but I want to use my Invacom lnb and not the original primestar lnb. The primestar lnb is the one with 2 ports on it one V and one H. But I think that lnb is on the outs. Because I do get good signal on it then all of a sudden the signal will drop from 75 to 4. When my invacom was hooked up on my other dish it never did that. I tried using some conduit clamps to hook up the QPH 31 but it doesn't go on the primestar lnb holder.

since you have the qph-031 and trying to hook it up to a primestar dish, the way i did it was went to a hardware store and bought a $1.50 water pipe clamp / grounding clamp , the one with the teeth on it and it came apart if you removed the bolts. doing this you might have to either find bolts ( long enough to fit the clamp top and still go through the holes on the primestar dish arm) or you would have to drill out the threads on the arm and insert longer bolts.

with this being said you will probably not gain much signal ( i know i didn't) using the qph-031 and a primestar dish ( 84e) reason for this is the primestar dish has a matched lnbf (feedhorn) without this feedhorn even using the best lnb my signal levels were only slightly better than the original lnbf that was on the dish. I took the qph-031 back off and replaced it with a Hughes Direcpc LNB and will match up with the original dish feedhorn. i bought a few off ebay when they were cheap . they are .06 or .07 NF but will give you great service. you can still find them on ebay for about $16 or best offer. For me this was the best route.

now for others who still have the dual output lnb's from primestar ( yes i kept mine, probably 5) these work great if you ever plan on using multiple receivers and switches

since you have the qph-031 and trying to hook it up to a primestar dish, the way i did it was went to a hardware store and bought a $1.50 water pipe clamp / grounding clamp , the one with the teeth on it and it came apart if you removed the bolts. doing this you might have to either find bolts ( long enough to fit the clamp top and still go through the holes on the primestar dish arm) or you would have to drill out the threads on the arm and insert longer bolts.

with this being said you will probably not gain much signal ( i know i didn't) using the qph-031 and a primestar dish ( 84e) reason for this is the primestar dish has a matched lnbf (feedhorn) without this feedhorn even using the best lnb my signal levels were only slightly better than the original lnbf that was on the dish. I took the qph-031 back off and replaced it with a Hughes Direcpc LNB and will match up with the original dish feedhorn. i bought a few off ebay when they were cheap . they are .06 or .07 NF but will give you great service. you can still find them on ebay for about $16 or best offer. For me this was the best route.

now for others who still have the dual output lnb's from primestar ( yes i kept mine, probably 5) these work great if you ever plan on using multiple receivers and switches

The only reason why I want to change the original primestar lnb to my QPH, because the primestar lnb is not working all the time. At times the signal level will drop and when it does that I lose my picture. Also on my QPH it can get both V/H signals

Cosmo are you using a multiswitch with your old primestar lnb, to get both polarities? If so, and it's still erratic, it might be dying. Sounds almost like water in the connectors somewhere though, if it works and then drops out. The other guys were suggesting you unbolt the feedhorn from the old lnbf, and use it on the new one, they're tiny little bolts, I think on the 84E they have allen-screw type heads. Gabs has the idea though, for a great replacement, use one of the Direcway or DirecPC lnbs, they match right up and are excellent lnbs.

No switch. The only switch I have is the one that came with my sonicview but I heard it may not work because its not a 3X4 multi switch? The switch is small and has 4 ports but I never used them. Maybe I will give it a shot it cant hurt.

What I did

I use the 84E w/ a E* LNB for Dish on 72.7. What I did to adapt the LNBF to fit was to take the Ps LNBF's off the holder. I then found the center of the feed holder. I then cut a half circle out of the plastic the depth needed to fit the neck of the LNBF and w/ some epoxy and a clamp for a free to air LNBF holder put it in the middle. I now have a sigle sat dish that has a much stronger signal that using a dish 500 w/ single LNBF. This should also work for the LNBF you are using although the cut out will be a different size than mine I think.

multiswitch

No switch. The only switch I have is the one that came with my sonicview but I heard it may not work because its not a 3X4 multi switch? The switch is small and has 4 ports but I never used them. Maybe I will give it a shot it cant hurt.
Cosmo what you need is a 3x4 multiswitch, to combine both the H & V signals for your lnbf to work properly. It'll mix both polarities into one coax at the dish, and you should be getting good steady signals. I believe most of those old primestar lnbfs with the sep H & V output will only output the V side , without the multiswitch. What you have sounds like a Diseqc switch, which you might could use for the same purpose, but you'd have to have 2 entries for each satellite to get both polarities (because they'd feed off different switch ports).

As someone who has had a P* dish for 7 years running the LNB just keeps going. This is not to say they can not or that you could get a better one but they just seem to work out. I have mine pointed at AMC9 83W Reto TV.
I have a 3X4 switch that feeds a diseqc switch.
Good luck with your.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)