PrimeStar Dish Restoration

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pixl

Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Traverse City, Michigan
A good friend from here, Skyscanner, gave me a 90cm PrimeStar dish earlier this summer (thanks). Was missing the LNB mount, amazingly you can still buy parts for these dishes built by Channel Master. I was able to get the original LNB mount and got the idea to bring the whole dish back to it's original look. Had the dish spray painted with flat gray latex house paint mixed at Ace Hardware. Then I set out to replace the PrimeStar logo. I found one on a graphic arts web site of reasonable quality but was several shades of blue over black. My wife brought that file into a photo shop program and changed the blue to gold and cleaned up some of the digital edging. I uploaded the file to VistaPrint.com to be printed as a vinyl bumper sticker. Took one week, came back perfect, cost $3.99.

Jim

24enqyr.jpg

m9t1yt.jpg

Here is the PrimeStar file if you want to do the same.

dgm7ip.jpg

Last edited:
My 90cm Primestar is one of the best ku dishes I have. I try to keep mine nice by waxing it each summer. I thought about repainting it someday too. Nice job on the dish and great logo :)

Wrong Logo and color

The PrimeStar Logo and it's colors are Registered Trademarks, the shape is even wrong.

Don't know where you got that image.

Since I was an authorized PrimeStar Distributor, guess I'll post the Trademarked image.

The Background color correctly matches the color of the dish, so all you can make out on the dish is the Faded Yellow logo, when it's on the dish.

After you restore the dish, read the fine print in the contract, the Dish, etc., remains the property of PrimeStar.

Feel free to send them to me, so I can refit them for their new use.

A good friend from here, Skyscanner, gave me a 90cm PrimeStar dish earlier this summer (thanks). Was missing the LNB mount, amazingly you can still buy parts for these dishes built by Channel Master. I was able to get the original LNB mount and got the idea to bring the whole dish back to it's original look. Had the dish spray painted with flat gray latex house paint mixed at Ace Hardware. Then I set out to replace the PrimeStar logo. I found one on a graphic arts web site of reasonable quality but was several shades of blue over black. My wife brought that file into a photo shop program and changed the blue to gold and cleaned up some of the digital edging. I uploaded the file to VistaPrint.com to be printed as a vinyl bumper sticker. Took one week, came back perfect, cost $3.99.

Jim

24enqyr.jpg

m9t1yt.jpg

Here is the PrimeStar file if you want to do the same.

dgm7ip.jpg

Attachments

• 398_dp40n.jpg
    398_dp40n.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 269
  • primestarlogo2.gif
    primestarlogo2.gif
    11 KB · Views: 266
After you restore the dish, read the fine print in the contract, the Dish, etc., remains the property of PrimeStar.

Feel free to send them to me, so I can refit them for their new use.

This is quite entertaining!!!.. :D

Perhaps the decal is off a little bit!

But thanks for the "proper" one! ;)

I really don’t think anybody has to worry about Primestar wanting any of these dishes back! LOL :)

The PrimeStar Logo and it's colors are Registered Trademarks, the shape is even wrong.

Don't know where you got that image.

Wow, after reading this I feel I've violated the entire Primestar Institution.
I searched all over the internet looking for that logo. Most of what I found were too small to enlarge. The one you see came off of a site that was advertising their past art works in logos and was blue. My wife brought it into Photoshop and did quite a bit of work tweaking the edges and color to get it where it is now.
Your sample of 11k is also too small to work with. Do you have any printed material or equipment boxes that you could do a flat bed scan on the logo?
And thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye out for the Primestar Police!

Wow, after reading this I feel I've violated the entire Primestar Institution.
...I'll keep an eye out for the Primestar Police!

With the breaking of copyright laws and the breach of "contract" thingy, I think that leaving the markings off will be better! :eureka

I found another one of these "Crimestar" dishes today! When I got close enough and saw what it was, I just drove away and never looked back!!!... :eek:

lol, out here they cant hear the shot and will never find the body.

I did hang my crimestar dish high on a pole, i hope that is punishment enough for it not returning home when mom called. :)

I found another one of these "Crimestar" dishes today! When I got close enough and saw what it was, I just drove away and never looked back!!!... :eek:

It's OK, Dan. Just tell me where that horrible piece of stolen property is, and I'll see that it ends up where it rightfully belongs (Ahem, in my dish farm...) :D

Tron said:
It's OK, Dan. Just tell me where that horrible piece of stolen property is, and I'll see that it ends up where it rightfully belongs (Ahem, in my dish farm...) :D

LOL :D

My dad still has the oval, gray Primestar dish in his back yard, but it's been YEARS since it was used. Can this be used to pick-up FTA television? If so what type of receiver would need to be used? I got it installed for him I guess around 1995 or 1996, and he moved to DirecTV around 1999 when Primestar was sold. Given this dish is pushing 15 years old is there any way to use it for anything? Just curious --

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts