Primestar project

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

gabshere

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
Rison , Arkansas
I was thinking about what to do for next months project....

i have 5 primestar dishes which i need to setup
i have hughes lnbf for each one , but i was thinking and i need someone who might know about the older primestar lnbfs ( the ones with the seperate H & V outputs) can these be used at the same time much like a dual lnbf ??
if so i can output these to a multiswitch lets say a 4X4 and then to a diesqc switch and feed 4 receivers at one time.

yes

In past years of reading this forum, I've seen a "yes" answer to that question.
Only thing to remember, is to get the right coax from the LNB to the proper input of your multiswitch.
If you don't, all the V will be swapped with H! - :D

Don't recall any need for power inserters, either.

But I do favor powered multiswitches, just on principle. - :cool:
Not necessary, but I still like 'em.

i have hughes lnbf for each one , but i was thinking and i need someone who might know about the older primestar lnbfs ( the ones with the seperate H & V outputs) can these be used at the same time much like a dual lnbf ??
if so i can output these to a multiswitch lets say a 4X4 and then to a diesqc switch and feed 4 receivers at one time.

yep that will work just fine. Run both lines from the P* top a 4x4 (as noted make sure the polarity is right) and then you can hook up 2 LNB's to it and then you have 4 outputs for receivers or diseqcs

right now I have 2 4x4's set up
74 (with stock P* dual LNB) and 79 (normal dual LNB) in one 4x4
123 (with stock P* dual LNB) and 119 (stock DBS) in one 4x4

have a line from 91C Band (band stacked LNB) into a 4 way splitter
have a line from 99C Band into another 4 way splitter (satellite splitter)

one line from each of the 4 options go into a 4x1 diseqc 3 times

so I have receivers getting all above

Why not?

I have done that, 4 primestars with original lnbf (with the sep H and V) Put a multiswitch on them, have 4 outputs on each switch. One is fixed on AMC5, another is on G10R. My motorized has a switch on it too, wasn't to feed sev tvs, just had to do it that way to get both H/V lol. It's run thru a diseqc switch.
*All but one dish have at least 100' cable, never had problems so I haven't needed any powered switches.

yes

so lets do an example...in my above setup 99 is on port 1, 123/119 is on 2, 74/79 on port 3 and 91 is on port 4. Setup is

99 diseqc 1 22k off
123 diseqc 2 22k off
119 diseqc 2 22k on
74 diseqc 3 22k off
79 diseqc 3 22k on
91 diseqc 4 22k off

a picture is worth . . .

. . . a whole lot of typing. - :D

Just plug in your satellite locations for the A..B..C.. on the drawing, and on the Switch Information table.
I print out and mark up both, then save 'em near the receiver for setup, debugging, and future reference.

Thanks Anole :) i did goto the switch page you made up before starting the thread
but as usual i was reading to much in to the overall makeup :)

i was thinking i would need something like this
99 diseqc 1 22k on
99 diseqc 1 22k off
101 diseqc 2 22k on
101 diseqc 2 22k off
87 diseqc 3 22k on
87 diseqc 3 22k off

when in fact the multiswitch combines the signals and one lnb is either on or off 22k

thanks guys should make the project go a bit smother. :)

now to decide which multiswitches ( probably 4X4) and which diesqc switch 4 port or 8 port

nothing up my sleeve

Well, unless you're you're building some giant T-90-like system, it's all pretty simple.
How many LNBs and how many receivers did you plan to use?
That drawing supports 8 LNBs, and 4 receivers, as-is.
If that's sufficient, then you're done! - ;)
And there's nothing tricky, clever, nor difficult about the switch setup in the receivers, either.

To expand it to 8 receivers, you'd need multiswitches with 8 outputs, eg: 4x8's
That, and more 4x1 diseqs, and you're done.

To expand to to more LNBs, only then would you want diseqc switches with more than four inputs.
Seems like any old receiver can run 4x1 diseqs, and of course those switches are dime-a-dozen.
Many receivers cannot run 8x1 diseqs; they're a lot more rare, more unique, and more expensive.

Oh, the other limiting factor of that design, is that all LNBs need to be Standard.
No Universals allowed.
Well, they could be accommodated, but for each Universal you used, that would cut down by one, how many total LNBs you could have.
. . . and there'd be a minor hardware change . . .

But let me tell ya, if 8 LNBs, and 4 receivers would get 'er done, this is a simple project! - :up
. . . if you don't mind making up lots of little RG6 jumpers. - :cool:

That is a very good thread. I have been using it. And, yes a picture IS worth --- A whole lot of typing! Thanks, Anole for the work. And rereading (printing it out, too) the thread about really makes it a greater help!

I am using 4X8 powered switches, which require 28 volts DC to keep them up which has been a minor challenge. The wall warts put out just 23 V off the inverter, which is not enough to keep the switches up, so I built a battery charger with 2 - 12 Volt garden tractor batteries.

The thread with diagrams is certainly one of the most usefull items to me - and was a great addition to the website.
POP

Thanks, Pop.
All that info was already on the site.
It just seemed that people kept asking the same switch questions all the time.
And it seemed a burden for everyone to have to retype the same answers all the time.
After a couple of years, I'd seen the answers so many times, I finally understood most of them. - :cool:

After making up a few custom wiring diagrams for users with unique problems, I decided it was time for a set of standard drawings, showing all the basics.
It's hard to know what to search for, so newbies won't necessarily find the docs.
But the regulars will know about 'em, and point to the drawings to give quick answers.
That should alleviate the burden of answering those familiar switch questions.

As to the dual battery switch power, that's really clever.
Shame you had to resort to such a fix, but ya got 'er done! - :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts