primestar vs new 33" dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Techfizzle

Banned
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
i live in the midwest where most sat footprints are strongest smack dab where i live.

my old clunky primestar dish even with an old or new eye has trouble pinpointing a lot of sats like amc 16

anyway the signal is so week on some sats if you sneeze on the dish it will go out

i bought a brand new azure shine dish off ebay it is 33" in diameter

do you think it will get better signal?

Since you've already bought it, give it a try and see for yourself? Like most things, you'll probably find that one will be better on one sat, while the other is better on another sat? The P* probably isn't the pointing problem? I've found in most cases, it's the operators fault, not the dish......

I personally know alot about operator error. I live in the Pacific Northwest and I have to say that my Primestar dish is awesome! On G18 and G25 I get 90% signal and 35-40 Q on most transponders. I would check in this order.. make sure pole is plumb, cables, connections and then obstructions.

"I own a Ford"

People call a lot of things, "Primestar" dishes.
And they come in several sizes and configurations (round and elliptical [wide])
But as a general rule, I'd bet on the molded commercial dish (the one you call a Primestar)
To be fair, both should have good LNBs, be mounted securely, and aimed accurately.
If you're on a motor, well . . . fix it! :rolleyes:

Post some pictures of it and give us the mold info off the back side of the dish.
Should be some numbers that express the dish size in metric.
Lastly, does it have the lnb & feedhorn it was born with?
Using the wrong feedhorn can lower performance.
. . . as can the wrong length or bent LNB support.

I stand behind my Primestar Dishes (I am using 2 right now!). All dishes have to be set up and aimed correctly. The bigger the dish, the better...
Be patient when aiming the dish. It will take time.

I have 3 of them and they are rock solid...have one at SBS6/H2 and one at G10
(and one that I'm trying to find a spot for) :D

amc 16.... I can only get 69% quailty on a good day. Like i said the signal is so week that you have to fine tune it (using the EL adjustment bolt) to 1/2 turn of a wrench to get it.

I am using an aftermarket ku lnb from a co-rotor cband feedhorn i had to grind of some metal on the feedhorn to get it to fit, but there is still a gap between the feedorn and lnb (about 1/4) do you think that will make a diffrence?

can you take a picture of it ?

its best to have a complete seal for weather & critters plus for signal loss

if needed i have an adapter that fits most primestar feedhorns to allow a lnb to fit

i will post a picture

Attachments

• adapter.JPG
    adapter.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 187
I have 3 CM/Primestar Ku dishes in service here, and going to get 2 more soon. They are rock-solid performers, and the price is right too!:rolleyes::up

why are some sats so hard to get? i have good r-6 good digital hi-stable lo-noise ku lnb.

I can only pinpoint about 7 sats

Techfizzle
which primestar dish do you have?
which feedhorn are you using with it ?

below are some pictures of a 84e dish & feedhorn and a 1 meter dish & feedhorn

Attachments

• 84e dish.JPG
    84e dish.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 84e feedhorn.JPG
    84e feedhorn.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 172
  • mounted dish.JPG
    mounted dish.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 175
  • 1 meter feedhorn.JPG
    1 meter feedhorn.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 174
this is just too easy

Q:
why are some sats so hard to get? i have good r-6 good digital hi-stable lo-noise ku lnb.
I can only pinpoint about 7 sats
A:
I am using an aftermarket ku lnb from a co-rotor cband feedhorn i had to grind of some metal on the feedhorn to get it to fit, but there is still a gap between the feedorn and lnb (about 1/4) do you think that will make a diffrence?

The Ku lnb you're using, sounds like a Single Polarity lnb? You might try turning it 90 degrees and see if you get more channels on the other polarity?

A co-rotor is for C-Band size dish 9can be used for both C or KU)

what LNB are you working with? Can you take a pic?

A co-rotor is for C-Band size dish 9can be used for both C or KU)

what LNB are you working with? Can you take a pic?

yeah he's using a ku lnb that will fit a corotor type feedhorn also so it should work for one polarity .

i was wanting to know what feedhorn he was hooking it to the one for the 84e which is most likely .

the adapter i mailed out today should fix the gap problem.

a precsion gold label series lo noise highly stable digital ku lnbi also have a cal-amp lnb with a hard metal body and a lite on it.
i am goinf to motorize the 33" dish and use the primstar for wstv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)