Probably Returning to DTV...Looking for Opinions and Reassurance (it's long, sorry)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tripplesix

Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
Washington, DC
Hello. I am new to this site.
I registered probably about 1 month ago when I thought I would change companies but then changed my mind because of pricing.

This is the thing, I had DTV from 2002 thru July 2012. I was so glad when that long 2 yr contract was up; I could not wait to cancel. I felt like for being with DTV for so long and for all the money they were taking from me, they could have done better. I had never had so many receiver problems as when I got their HD DVR. But enough was enough. My DVR would constantly not record set programs. I would constantly lose the ability of 2 tuners. Whenever I would call, they would tell me to hold down 'Info' (or whatever button it was) to go into THOSE settings and go thru the test (sorry but I can't remember it anymore) and then it would fix it. Within the next day or two, same problem. They refused to send out a tech without a presence of the problem. So the fact that they would fix it over the phone meant no presence of the problem. Even though I was constantly not having my programs record and not getting 2 tuners every 1 to 2 days. That was the end for me. :mad:
But there were other annoying issues: super lag between remote and tv. It would drive me CRAAAAAZYYYYY!!! :rant: I could not change the channel for minutes at a time because of this. Trying to go through the guide was ridiculous. I always thought their "On Demand" was sooo ridiculously cheap. How can On Demand mean download first. Then that is not On Demand. Anyway, there were more things that I simply can't remember now. Also, DTV had some guy call me (I forgot what he called himself/his title/dept) but his purpose was to get me back after I had cancelled and he actually had the nerve to get an attitude with me. Really?

I moved on to RCN and have an RCN Tivo. It took some getting used to because I had used DTV's DVR for so long. Nonetheless, I loved (and still love) it. :) Proper On Demand. And for me, an extra perk is the extra music channels (VH1 Soul, MTV Jams, a few others) -- not a need but a nice plus.

Ok, DTV called me with a deal that was tempting only because I miss DTV (I won't lie) for various reasons. But I don't miss the negatives. I was fine until they called me a month ago. The only reason why I am ready to leave RCN is because they do not have Discovery Fit & Health. Without that RCN has zero Health channels. I knew when I joined RCN that I would just have to get over it, but I have been at my brother's house for over a week now and I have been watching their DF&H and all my love for the channel came rushing back. The fact is my top favorite cable/dish channels are first and foremost I.D. (a Discovery Crime Channel) and then second Discover Fit & Health. So I want it back. And this is the only reason for wanting DTV back this bad. Don't get me wrong, there were other positives with DTV. But my RCN was just fine.

I am just afraid that after being locked into a 2 year contract I will only be disappointed, annoyed and angry again. Especially after I vowed never to return to contract tv (cable/dish) again. No contract with RCN.

I have been reading thru various threads. I am wondering overall how have folks' Genie experience been.
Also, I think I read on here that their On Demand is still the same. You cannot watch it immediately; you have to download it (or as people on here said, 'record' it). Is this correct?
How is the remote to tv issue? In other words, is there a severe lag in response? Is there any lag in response?
For folks who have the DTV app on their phones or tablets or whatever (i read a thread about a lot of incompatibility issues with non apple products :rolleyes:), can you set a show to record on the app?
I had other questions, but I can't remember them now.

This is what they offered me (I don't even know if this deal is still available):
Premier Package + 2 Genie DVRs (I wrote "Genie (2) (DVRs)" so I assume I meant 2 Genies) = normal price $153.99
But for 1st 3 mos I will pay $63.99
After 3 mos (for the rest of the first year) I will pay $110.99
2nd year I will pay $133.99
I will have to pay an add'l $5.99 for insurance (1st 30 days free)
Free install, No receiver fees, new/replacement dish (I have one on the roof of my apt, but he said they would install a better one)
He went on to mention Genie features such as Record 5 things at once (no biggie for me, I can currently record 4 and that has always been enough, but hey); access internet on it; start-over feature <<< please tell me how well this works; can go back up to 5 weeks on a channel that I have just changed the channel to <<< please tell me how well this works; DTV Cinema Connection Kit for "On Demand"; PiP (don't know if I care about this).
I will keep my RCN internet because it is super fast (it will be super costly though); unfortunately Verizon's internet is too slow in comparison (can't go back to that). I live in an apartment and only need tvs and cable/dish in the living room and in the bedroom.

That's all I can think of for now. Sorry for the long post. Just trying to explain my situation and reasons.
I am really afraid of making a big mistake and being stuck, yet again, for 2 long years. :(
Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)