Problem after firmware update!

northgeorgia

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
North GA
I downloaded the firmware last night, and all was fine. But today, after I did a blind scan on 127W, the unit shut down and is stuck in some sort of power up and down loop. I have tried unplugging the unit for 2 hours, but I just plugged it in again, and it's still doing caught in the loop. Help?

That don't sound good...I hope Brian has an answer, that I can't think of. I hope you don't have to order a TTL cable. I got one ordered just in case I ever run into a strange problem like this.

You beat me to it RV, I walked away and was like DUH, I should have told him to Un-screw the coax and see if that fixed it....and I bet it does.

(well at least stop the receiver from cycling, now to find where the problem is)

Well...tried another receiver, and it worked fine. Then reconnected the microHD, but still getting the power down and up loop. I had read about the TTL cable, but wasn't sure if this was related; where can I order one?

Nah... I posted in another thread last week about my Openbox becoming bricked -- must've been a clone. The company sent me out a replacement and it feels much sturdier than the previous one and has the latest firmware. It's actually not too bad, but I'm already missing some of the nice features from the microHD!

Oh I know what you mean. I use a microHD and an OpenBox X3, in two different rooms. I could ordered two microHD's but wanted to experiment. The X3 works pretty good, and don't and the problems I had with my S10, but there are still some features that it don't have that the mircoHD does have. Also even though it is possible to have some of the same features on the X3 I doubt it will ever have them.

Here's a link for a converter, and the seller is in the USA: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150838663524?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I just ordered one myself, just in case...

Please note if looking for these, there is a 5-wire 3.3v AND 5 volt dual version, and also a 3.3 volt OR 5 volt ONLY version. There is also 3 wire versions, and it appears that we need the 5 volt 4-wire version (or dual version above) for the MicroHD receiver when it gets a bad firmware flash.

Last edited:
I noticed it's very confusing! I think I have ordered the right one. Although the picture showed a 3 wire version with a 4 pin USB module, the description read 4-wire connector. Since it's on its way, I guess I'll find out soon enough. http://www.ebay.com/itm/230835483498

I asked the seller about the voltage on that one before I almost bought it, and he told me it was one of the 3.3 volt only versions. So, I do not know if it'll work with the MicroHD, because Brian has a 5 volt version spec'ed out in the emergency flash instructions.

I sure wish sellers would give larger pics, and a far better description of their goods! Why piss off people after they wait say a week or so, and find out it was the wrong thing? To be sure, it MAY still work. I guess it'll be up to you if you want to try it and let us know.

P.S. I looked up the specs on the chip (2303 version) used on the converter boards. It has BOTH 3.3volt and 5volt regulators built in. So, if the board is hard-wired to 3.3volt, you may be able to solder a jumper on those to convert to 5 volt. Here's all the specs and stuff you could ever want: http://prolificusa.com/portfolio/pl-2303hx-usb-to-serial-bridge-controller/

Last edited:
yikes....I have no experience with soldering and building/fixing electronics! But good to know that it -could- work. *sigh*

is it possible to make one with an old usb cable? is there any electronics in the way that is needed? i have a usb-serial cable here. is it possible to jury rig it to work? charlie

chaskuchar said:
is it possible to make one with an old usb cable? is there any electronics in the way that is needed? i have a usb-serial cable here. is it possible to jury rig it to work? charlie

Google the PL2303 and you will find projects to build your own TTL converter. You would need the PL2303 and capacitors. Looks to be an easy project and the parts shouldn't cost much more than the preassembled cable. :D

I just ordered the cable primestar31 posted, thanks for that.
BTW, my unit was brand new, got it yesterday, loaded the newest firmware, then, several hours later, it started doing this.

tekjunkie02 said:
I just ordered the cable primestar31 posted, thanks for that.
BTW, my unit was brand new, got it yesterday, loaded the newest firmware, then, several hours later, it started doing this.

See reply on the new thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)