Problem Getting Signal

ktriebol

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 4, 2005
I am in the process of starting up a satellite system at my cabin but am having a proboem with getting a satellite signal. The equiment is a DP301 receiver, and a Dish 500 with DP Twin LNB.

I have a satellite signal meter which I used to help find the satellite. The meter seemed to work well. The signal meter as well as the audible sound indicated the correct dish position, and it was just where I expected it to be. I then went to look at the signal strength at the TV, and it showed zero. The signal strength bar was red and indicated "Not Locked".

How can the receiver not be receiving a signal when the satellite signal meter was indicating a good signal? The meter requires power from the receiver in order to operate, so I know that my cable connections are good. I did perform a check switch before aiming the dish, and the check switch process went OK. I had the 119 satellite checked as it states in the installation instructions.

This is a used receiver, but I know it worked before because I got it from a friend. Dish Network recently changed out all of the cards, so I was wondering if that has something to do with it. This receiver probably has the old card, but I would think it would still allow you to make a connection.

Are there any ideas?

did you run a check switch, was there signal there but not locked, how old is the software on your receiver? you may very well be not pointed at the correct satellite, getting a flase reading off of your meter or the lnb and or cabling could be shot. there are a lot of different birds up there and you could be on the wrong one. IE Direct has a bird at 119 but it is higher in the sky, could give your meter a lot of signal, but you don't have the right one

Thanks for the thoughts, Dish Dude. I did run a check switch before aiming the dish. That part of the test ran OK according to the installation manual. I understand that to mean that the LNB and cable are good. The software probably is old. I don'n think this receiver has been in use for a year or so. As I recall, the software version is 2.04, but I could be wrong about that. I can't check it again until I go back up there on Friday. Why would that matter anyway?

I could be pointed at the wrong satellite. I noticed that the signal was strongest when aiming at an elevation of 40 degrees, when I was supposed to be at an elevation of 33 degrees. I will check that closer.

Well than you are in my neck of the woods anyways, you must be in NW Minnesota or ND by the sounds of it, yep you are probably hitting Direct's bird, make sure the skew is set at 111 than, starting point anyways. Either way by the elevation you are receiving Fargo locals, although you might be in northern Wisconsin with the Green Bay DMA, I believe those are on 121 but I might be wrong

Hi Dish Dude. Actually I was born in Fargo and grew up in Valley City, but have been living in Wisconsin for a long time now. The cabin is in northern Wisconsin at a slightly lower latitude than Fargo. The setup calls for a skew of 113. I will play around with it some more this weekend.

Do you have any trees in front of the dish? If you point your dish towards trees then the meter will act as if it is getting a signal when it is not. Here are some tips to help you get a signal in. Look to see which side of the Y bracket in which your lnbf's are pushed on at to see which satellite your receiving. There is a 110 side and a 119 side. If you have the cable hooked up to 110 side then select 110 on the signal strength screen and if you have the cable hooked up to the 119 side then select 110 on the signal strength screen. Put it on transponder 11. Make sure your mast is plumb on all sides. This is VERY important as this will make finding the signal MUCH easier and is VERY important for the skew adjustment.

Type in the zip code and see what elevation you need to set the dish in your area. Do not move it more than 2 or 3 degrees in elevation or you will find other satellites when using the signal meter or end up getting 110 on 119 lnbf or 119 on the 110 lnbf. If you have a signal meter that has the needle then put it on 5 where there are no satellite signals coming in then move it slowly until you start seeing the strongest signal coming in then turn the knob to the left to get the needle on a lower number to fine tune the signal. First try by moving it left to right (azimuth) then once you get the maximum signal move it up and down (elevation). When it comes to your skew adjustment set it and forget about it - make NO adjustments to the skew. If you have a pair of walkie talkies (preferably with VOX) then put on in front of the speaker at your tv activating the VOX function and take the other walkie talkie outside so you can hear the signal when it starts coming in from the signal strength screen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)