problem hitting 123

Status
Please reply by conversation.
i have same problem two days ago onmy friend house spend tree hours to get 123. i usual take me most 15 minutes to get this bird guess what brand new LNBF is bad affter i try tree hrs. i put diferrent LNBf and 80% Q . my sugest is try another LNBf

well, thanks for the encouragement...
we've had a spell of wet weather the past couple days and it looks like we're in for more of the same. as soon as it dries up a bit (my wife gets nervous when I go up on the roof when it's wet...I'll never understand why - I used to rock and ice climb, technical search and rescue) I'll be back up the ladder trying something else. I've also been thinking about the invacom QPH-031...
it seems kind of strange that I've never seen a bit of quality with the primestar, yet the 20" dish shows much stronger signal and about 40 quality when I switch it to 123...
I tried to hit 121 with the coordinates that you suggested...nothing yet.
is there any way to test an lnb with some sort of multigauge just to be certain I'mnot shooting with blanks??

pedro-zip code he gave is New Hampshire. (his 1st post in the thread).

oops sorry just read the NE bit.

quasimodem> are you sure you have the skew correct it should be around 40 degrees counterclockwise standing behind the LNB facing the dish. the elevation of around 19 will not be below your horizon unless you have something directly in line pretty close

..........is there any way to test an lnb with some sort of multigauge just to be certain I'mnot shooting with blanks??

Q, I don't remember (from my reading here) any easy way to test an LNB to determine if it works or not. If there is a way someone will surely let you know.

I can't tell you that your LNBF is not bad, but the vast majority of the time the problems are usually in your receiver settings, dish alignment or switches/coax/connectors.

The simplest method has got to be comparison using dish alignment on a known bird.

I have some bench test gear which was megger expensive but frankly commercial LNBs on good signals work or do not. Problems are 99% as Phlatwound has said.

On a slightly off subject, my reason for the test gear was comparison of makes of LNBs and their specs particularly for fringe Ku reception in Europe using up to 4 mtre dishes. I would go thru boxes of the same model Ivacom lnbs (Which we considered to be one of the best) and the differences were quite substantial, many were quite "deaf" at the lower Ku frequency spectrum.
The morale of the thread is don't spend a fortune on LNBs where you have a reasonable signal you will not notice any difference. Signal and Quality is down to dish size and alignment

thanks guys,
I guess I just need to spend some more time tweaking my alignment.
the lnb on the primestar has gradations on it, so setting it in the right place is pretty easy and accurate.
I still don't understand how my 20" dish gets a better signal and quality and it's pointed at 119...but I guess I just haven't tuned in to 123 with the primestar yet...so if it's all or nothing, then I assume the lnb is working because it does get a 68 signal strength.?
I'll post back in the next couple days after things dry up a bit and I can get back up on the roof..
~Q

Maybe you should try to find a bird that is closest to your true south. This would require little or no skew adjustment. The closest one for me here in Oklahoma is 97W and dishpointer.com says my skew should be -0.1 degrees. This makes the alignment easier b/c you only have to worry about elevation and azimuth. Once you confirm that the LNB is working on your true south bird, then you should be confident that it will pick up 123W as well.

Is that why XM radios have tiny antennas? XM broadcasts in the S-band, which is close to the C-Band, but you don't see anyone with a BUD on top of their car for XM...

Is that why XM radios have tiny antennas? XM broadcasts in the S-band, which is close to the C-Band, but you don't see anyone with a BUD on top of their car for XM...
That's the way I understand it.
FCC allocated ALOT of power to the Sirus/XM chuck of spectrum. :eek:
I believe it was near the same as GPS was allocated but someone is sure to correct me. :D
From Sirius wiki page: Sirius broadcasts using 12.5 MHz of the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S_band"]S band - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] between 2320 and 2332.5 MHz
From XM wiki page: The XM signal uses 12.5 MHz of the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S_band"]S band - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]: 2332.5 to 2345.0 MHz

It's been too long since I looked it all up... :rolleyes:

thanks willie, that's a helpful suggestion...
and osu1991- with the 119 bird so strong, I would think I would get some kind of signal from it even tho' my linear lnb won't "read" the signal completely.
man, I wish the rain would stop...I'm anxious to climb up and down my ladder 100 times again.

back at it

I went back up on my roof this afternoon.
I tried connecting the lnb directly to my stb.
Strong signal but still no quality on 123.
I tried rotating the dish west until the signal dropped, then brought it back until the signal was at its strongest (about 74).
I did the same with the elevation, but still wasn't able to get any quality.
Then I tried twisting the lnb, first clockwise then counter-clockwise until I found the strongest signal, but still no quality.
Then I had the idea to check some other satellites. I did find quality from the Nimiq2 satellite, scanned and found 28 encrypted channels...this must be a Dishnetwork bird.
So, I guess the lnb is actually working...but I'm at a loss for why I can't seem to get any true fta signals. As I stated before, my 20" dish gets about a 75% quality for the Galaxy 123w (but of course it won't get the channels from the linear signal) but nothing with the Primestar dish.
Is it possible that the signal is just marginal, and would a better lnb (like the Invacom QPH-031) be able to hear the signal better?
I'm certain my mast is plumb on all sides, my cable is a heavy duty type (with a grounding wire) and I know now my disq switch is working.
Can anyone think of another satellite to try that has more than one or two channels? or are there any other suggestions to help find 123?
Is this dish big enough to get a good quality signal, or do I need another setup?

I did not read the entire thread.......
But if you are getting good Quality and Watchable channels on the 20" Dish & same Receiver, can you take the LNB from the 20" and put it on the new dish?
Also, put the New LNB on the 20".

I did not read the entire thread.......
But if you are getting good Quality and Watchable channels on the 20" Dish & same Receiver, can you take the LNB from the 20" and put it on the new dish?
Also, put the New LNB on the 20".

thaks lak7,
but the lnb from my 20" dish is circular (dish 500)...the lnb I need for my primestar dish (to get true fta) must be linear.
I think it's time to try another lnb...
I get a fair quality signal (around 75) while scanning the 123w. sat...but this is with my 20" dish that's actually pointed at 119/110...
my primestar dish is right beside my 20" dish and gets no quality on any sat.
I'll post back after I get another lnb...

Last edited:
The dish 500 arm is looking at 114.5 (1/2 way between 110 & 119).. so you do need to go a little farther west than what the D500 is at

I get a fair quality signal (around 75) while scanning the 123w
Think of "Signal Quality" as a Power Indicator for the LNB, nothing to do with a Satellite Signal.
You should always have Signal Strength, even if Dish is pointed at the ground.
You are looking for Quality.

The dish 500 arm is looking at 114.5 (1/2 way between 110 & 119).. so you do need to go a little farther west than what the D500 is at

thanks Iceberg-
that's exactly what I've done....I think the lnb MUST be toast at this point.
I've adjusted all three coordinates several times and never got any quality.
Like Lak7 said, quality is what you need...I'll have to try another lnb.
I've read good things about the Invacom QPH-031.
Do you think the oval Primestar dish is suitable? or should I start all over new and get a 36"dish and motor set up?
I'm quite certain with a working lnb I'll be able to get the 123w. signal...the fact that my 20" dish will get a strong signal and good quality from it is testament to this.....(if only the 20" dish were large enough)...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)