Problem Tuning in GI Super 350i.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pepse

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Western Wisconsin US
At first I thought maybe there are no more analogs channels but I searched around here and found out there still are a few. I don't have a 4DTV receiver any longer but, I have 2 old analogs. The GI as mentioned in my header and a Chaparral Monty 55 (that needs work). Anyway I hooked up the GI and ended up doing a reset and set my East & West limits but I can not find any stations. Mainly I went for GI -5 or 11 or 12. Nothing shows up in that area. Tried for F3-7; nada. G4-17; nil. Is it possible that even though they are free channels that I might need a VC II box? As far as I know the Sat is still in alignment.

The main reason I am doing this is because I have a DVB card for my computer and was thinking about trying to get that going. Of course if my dish is off I'm screwed. Never could understand how to align.

Pepse.

Still a few on 133W G1, that's a start. Most of the stuff left is undocumented feeds etc, you have to keep your eyes open to catch them.
A few reference points will give you what ever (if any) tracking error you may have. If G1 is on, I'd try the DVB card for ARTS digital and the Cali channel on 133W first. Armed with a DVB channel list you should be able 'work backwards' to plot out other DVB signals to check the tracking. If you hit 133W w/o issue, 131,135,137 all have C band DVB signals to begin working your way out to check the arc track. With a few exceptions, nearly evey slot has something DVB C band to check your alignment by.
I dont recall if the GI has a composite source in, but that or the ant. in (if you have ch3/4 out on the DVB card or a modulator) might make it simpler switching between the two rx's. An inexpensive high freq. one port pass/one port block splitter will serve well to stop manual coax switching if plan to use both on a single output C band LNB.
There is a site maintained list at the top of the page on "The List" tab.
The lists found linked to this offsite page are very comprehensive as well.
http://www.global-cm.net/mpeg2central.html
Then of course there is
http://lyngsat.com/america.html
Ther are many DVB signals that are not ITC but are strong and useful for setting up your dish tracking. Never take one list as gospel. Always extrapolate between any available sources. Due to constant changes, information of this type can become dated quickly
Dont forget to keep a pen/pencil and notpad handy. You'll need it.
gl

The reason I asked about getting the the analog C band Sats is when I was playing with the DVB card this last winter/spring I was told that because DVB is a rather narrow band if I'm a little off in my arc I probably won't get anything. And setting Sats with a GI DSR 922 is easier than this old GI 350. Although back then I had something on G0/X0. I do have a dual LNB C and KU but it appears the GI 350 doesn't have the KU connector, and the Chaparral needs work. I do have a Lyngsat chart and such from back then. So for now I'll just try to work on the DVB side, once I put the stuff back in the computer and dig out my Diseqc switch and splitters. I didn't get that stuff ready as I wanted to establish some Sats in analog C first. Then I would know if I am still in alignment.

Later. Pepse.

Once inclination, declination and true south setting are done, nothing less than knocking the pole off plumb,ie hitting it (hard) with heavy equipment etc or some force spining the pole in the concrete will impact the arc tracking. If your system tracked before, and has not suffered any 'trauma' it should still track the arc. That leaves two major variables, polarity and azmuith. A number of things can cause problems with these. If you are using a Corotor assy verify the polarity and move the dish very patiently, in small increments and see if you can get any of the 133W TPs.
Ideally C band analog is the most forgiving mode to use to align a dish, but there are few analog channels left broadcasting a consistant signal. As I posted you should be able to get ARTS analog ITC on G1-5 (133W). TP-11 and 12 are both active too. TP12 is vertical so you can check the polarity operation as well.
The Ku side of this is irrelavant for the moment. Let's stay focused on C band operation. Same goes for any type of switches. They only create more unknown variables. Also, unless TWC is still in fixed key mode (C3-13 @131W) a VCII module is also unnecessary, except that you should get the unsubscribed message on TWC and the ESPNs.
DVB on C band is more plentiful and not difficult to master. Using a stand alone STB for alignment is not terribly difficult but a DVB card in of itself is a moderately high learning curve. I cant speak to the difficulty of trying to do a dish alignment with my DVB card. I've never attempted it, but if you are comfortable with it's operation you may be able to do fine.
Once you get to the DVB part of checking other birds for proper tracking alignment you will want to have one or more TP/SR values for each bird you want to check programmed in to the DVB software, preferrably of both polarities. Consult one of the FTA lists that have C band listings.
Using DVB to align a dish is not all that hard, if you prepare for it. Consult Lyngsat for changes in the analog channels. An outdated list is worse than no list at all.
One other comment. IMHO, a dvb box is better for alignment purposes than a 4DTV unit. The 4D IRDs are painfully slow to respond by comparison.

Well, I took out the GI 350i and replaced it with a Uniden UST4600 because it has a KU hookup. Big mistake so far. I cannot get it to set my East and West limits. I downloaded the manual from Uniden which is where I was able to get a clue on getting to the second screen. But like I said I can't get anywhere because of not being able to set the limits. A friend of mine gave me a few old receivers, 1 UST 4600, 2 UST 4400's, 1 Uniden Supra (not the gold painted one tho), and a Cable Inovations 200. Like I said I wanted something with KU & C band. So, if anybody can help me with this problem I'm listening. Unless it is thought to use one of these other receivers or just go back to the GI Super 350i.

Later. Pepse.

The GI 350i does Ku.
If you don't have a voltage controlled switch to hook up to it,
use a decent quality A/B switch (and yes, I have done this with this receiver).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)