Problem watching premium channel recordings from free preview.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Never had a problem like this when I had DTV.

I never had this problem with Dish either, because I never "upgraded" to a Hopper. I stuck with my VIP receivers for several reasons, among which was how the Hopper couldn't play back some programs from an EHD originally recorded on a VIP receiver. That was a RED FLAG because why on earth would Dish be adding such "logic", other than to prevent us from watching some recorded programs later on?

Didn't record them all with the intention of watching them all. They were just for back-up if none of my favorite shows were on. And my post was just informational.

Yes, I understand. I record programming for standby purposes also. I still have the same question, though. You're considering switching providers because you may not be able to do what you admit you have no intention of doing. What difference does it make?

Your post was informational. My post was seeking information. Sounds like a perfect blend. :)

I never had this problem with Dish either, because I never "upgraded" to a Hopper. I stuck with my VIP receivers for several reasons, among which was how the Hopper couldn't play back some programs from an EHD originally recorded on a VIP receiver. That was a RED FLAG because why on earth would Dish be adding such "logic", other than to prevent us from watching some recorded programs later on?
100% of my recordings (2, 500G EHDs) from my 722K were successfully "adopted" by my now three Hoppers.

Well I watched one of my "Freeviews" last night. The first 5 minutes had the annoying dialogue box, then clear viewing.
Maybe someone is reading these posts and paying attention.
Annoying customers like me with these tactics simply solidifies my resolve to never subscribe to said channels. As they soften there approach I may soften mine.

Yes, I understand. I record programming for standby purposes also. I still have the same question, though. You're considering switching providers because you may not be able to do what you admit you have no intention of doing. What difference does it make?

Your post was informational. My post was seeking information. Sounds like a perfect blend. :)
Just wanted to let bwexler know that there are other choices out there that might be better for him. As for me, I moved on from DTV over a month ago. I now am using PS Vue and a Tablo unit for OTA viewing and recording. Also now using Amazon Prime for movies. Quite satisfied so far.

I am aware of many options. OTA is not available in my location. Even a 100 foot mast would not get me a watchable signal, other than the local junior collage broadcast channel.

I do have Cox cable and I tried Tivo. Cox cable cards, Tivo and I did not get along well. I never devoted enough time and effort to actually root out the cause of my problems. However if someone wanted a Tivo Bolt 500 I could offer a reasonable deal.

I haven't personally tried yet but hauppauge may be in my near future.

I haven't personally tried yet but hauppauge may be in my near future.

HD Homerun tuners are much better than Hauppauge IMO. Their tuners are much more sensitive, are network attached so you can view across multiple devices, have apps with signal meters, and they run much cooler than the Hauppauge tuners. Just my experience.

Reactions: stardust3
Hauppauge PVR1212 allows real time transfer of any recording off Hopper to your computer.

How?

Edit: Nevermind, I Googled it and answered my own question. For a minute I got excited thinking someone found a way to transfer the raw encrypted DVR files from the Hopper. The Hauppauge unit just records a video feed. All you need is a video card with HDMI input inside your PC for that.

PVRExplorer is a video ripping program that works with VIP receivers, but the version for Hoppers requires a little Perl programming language knowledge - the Hauppauge is simpler but more time consuming.

Reactions: TheKrell
Can anyone else confirm that if you watch the show for more than 5 minutes, then the dialog box disappears? I was watching a show off the DVR yesterday and got frustrated and cancelled. Not sure if I waited 5 minutes or so but not at home right now to try.

thanks!

I haven't recorded anything from a Free Preview recently, but I'm currently watching ARGO recorded during an HBO free preview and it is playing with no problems off and EHD.

Can anyone else confirm that if you watch the show for more than 5 minutes, then the dialog box disappears? I was watching a show off the DVR yesterday and got frustrated and cancelled. Not sure if I waited 5 minutes or so but not at home right now to try.

thanks!

No! When I start to watch one of the freeview recordings I get a large dialogue box center screen offering the opportunity to subscribe. the only option is OK. I click OK I have a password on PPV so I have the option to cancel, which I do. then it gives me a smaller dialogue box at the bottom of the screen. This box is annoying but does not render the show unwatchable.

When I’ve tried to view shows that were recorded during a free preview and had the message popup that says something like ‘ This show is available if you subscribe to xxxx OK’ I just hit the back button. And when it pops up again, I hit the back button again. Then the show plays as normal EXCEPT, I can’t stop the show using the standard buttons e.g. Back, Select, etc. without getting the same popup. BUT I can exit the show by selecting the Guide button and then selecting something live to watch.

Does this work for anyone else?

FWIW I just did this to an old free preview recording and it worked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)