Problem with Dish spot beam signal level.

Cougar

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Hello to all. This is my first post here and I am trying to find an explanation as to why a spot beam signal level drops off in the evening.

We are using the spot beam on T-9 of the Dish satellite at 119deg. The location of the receivers are on the north coast of Alaska. Looking at the footprint map for the spot beam it shows that we are out of the prime area it is supposed to cover. The signal comes in fine during the day but signal level lowers as the day goes on and goes below the receiver threshold during the prime time TV hours after 6 in the evening. This same thing happens at different locations so it's not an equipment problem. The signals from the other transponders are ok, only the spot beam is effected.

I can only think that the angle of the sun to the satellite or earth has something to do with this problem. Can anybody help explain this?

Satellites wobble in a figure 8 pattern during the 24hr. time period what you are seeing on the fringe of the beam is that wobble. You can live with it or increase the size of your dish to capture more signal. In Alaska living with it is probably more reasonable seeing you are already using a large dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts