Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
Equipment:
Super Dish
DPP44 Switch
DP311 - Having problem w/
721 Receiver
I have a DP311 Dish Network receiver which was working last year when I disconnected it. This year, when I connected it back on, it is not finding the DPP44 switch and instead, sometimes, it shows only 110 Satellite, sometimes 121 Satellite and sometimes none (all Xs).
I have unplugged the receiver and the DPP44 switch but it did not help. Reset to factory default, left it unplugged for a day, changed the cables and changed the input locations on the switch but it did not help. Just one time, when I plugged in the cable directly from the switch to the receiver (instead of using the pre-wired cables in the house), it showed all three satellite. Later, I used the same cable and the same input but it is not working anymore.
I have 721 receiver as well which is working fine and showing all the satelites which shows that the problem may be with the actual receiver, DP311.
I have plugged in the 110, 119 and 121 satellites to DPP44 switch on the input # 1,2 and 4 as three does not recognise anything. I had few problems with this switch getting it to work. The problem seems to be with either DPP44 or the DP311 receiver.
Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a bunch!
Sal

Connect 119 directly to the 311 receiver and turn it off. Let it sit for 30 minutes until it updates the software and then plug it back in the switch and run check switch. I suspect the software version is a little outdated.

thanks, do you happen to know the lates software for DP311. Also what is the lates software for 721?
Thank you,

I connected the DP311 directly to the 119 & 121 LNB respectively but it did not detect any of these satellite.

I ran the test switch with and without SuperDish & Alternate checked, same result.

If I run the check switch w/ just SuperDish checked, it will test 1/50
If I run the check switch w/ just Alternate checked, it will test 1/38
If I run the check switch w/ SuperDish & Alternate checked, it will test 1/50

But with all the above options, there is not satellite detected.

Now if I disconnect the existing 110 wire from the LNB and connect this DP311 receiver directly to the LNB, I get the same results as above (there are two connections in that LNB on the Superdish but one of them is not used) - It's the LNB that is outside the case.

But if I connect to the other one (first one is already hooked up to my DPP44 switch), then it detects the 110 satellite with pretty good signal but when you goto the programming, it shows the following message

Error 002
The Satellite signal has been temporarily lost. Please wait or press UP or DOWN button to change channel.

and for some reason, no mater which transponder I have set in the DishPoint window, it shows the following transponder and channel after the test switch.
Channel: 919
Transponder: 110

Now if I compare this whole issue, my existing 721 works greatr and has a very stong signal. Could there be a problem with this receiver? and Can I completly reset it?

When I had the 110 with good signal (even thopugh I was getting the Error 002), I turned the DP311 receiver off from the remote and left it off for about 30 minutes (w/ plugged in) but it did not upgrade the software from 3.17 to 3.18. I even tried ti reset to factory default, unplugged the receiver for few mins and plugged it back in, no success.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

P.S> What is the difference between Spotbeam and Transponder?

If you have 3.17 then you should be OK. 3.18 is going out to some receivers not all of them will get it for now.

Try clearing the switch matrix in the receiver by unplugging the Satellite cable and running check switch. Plug satellite cable back and run check switch.

If this doesn't fix it, you have a bad receiver.

I'm having a simular problem. My 522 and 311 are connected indepently to each LNB with no problem. But if I connect through a DP34 multiswitch, I lose signal on the 311. A friend told me about a "Powerblock". The theory being that the 311 as well as the 522 is sending voltage back to the DP34. The DP34 can't handle voltage from but only one receiver. A "powerblock" needs to be placed between the 311 and the DP34.
Does anyone else know of this? Where do I get a Powerblock?

rktompsett -- I've never heard of that, but if there is such a thing, I'm sure it would have to be a "DP Powerblock" :)

Here's a link that has a lot of data:
http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishpro_installation.asp
One of the first documents is "Introduction to Dish Pro Technology" and I think around Page 15 of 20, you will find a block diagram of the setup you describe. There is no Powerblock!

A little further down you will find another document called "Dish Pro DP34 Switch Installation Guide" which doesn't have much info, but I'm sure it would list such a device if it existed.

The only thing I can think of that comes close are splitters that block DC current on one or more ports for various reasons.

What type of LNBF's are you using, on both the Main dish and any Wing dish you may have? Are they DishPro? Is there a Twin or Quad, and if so, what type? Are you running two lines from a Twin or Quad? and a separate 3rd cable if you have a Wing dish?

Also, you should be using 2 cables to the 522 without a DP Separator.

This is the only issues I can think you are having.

rktompsett said:
I'm having a simular problem. My 522 and 311 are connected indepently to each LNB with no problem. But if I connect through a DP34 multiswitch, I lose signal on the 311. A friend told me about a "Powerblock". The theory being that the 311 as well as the 522 is sending voltage back to the DP34. The DP34 can't handle voltage from but only one receiver. A "powerblock" needs to be placed between the 311 and the DP34.
Does anyone else know of this? Where do I get a Powerblock?

Did you try a different port for the 311? I don't believe the problem is with voltage. All receivers send voltage to the DP34 and the switch knows how to handle it. Unless you have a defective DP34.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)