Problem with DPP44 & 129, 119, 110, 61.5

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sgprs

Original poster
May 8, 2009
Georgia
Hey guys... new here.

OK, here's what's going on: Upgraded to HD three months ago. Original installer was a joke and didn't do things he should have. Anyway, now locals are available for me in HD, so I called Dish. They sent the techs out to get it going. I originally had a 500 for 110/119 and a second single for 61.5. My HD locals are coming in on 129 only. So the techs installed a third dish at the edge of the backyard. Had to go the three dish route because of trees... couldn't use 1000.2. OK, so no big deal having three.

They used a DPP44 to tie it all together, but the receiver is only recognizing and pulling-in 129, 119 and 110... 61.5 doesn't come in by name, just "4", and is NC. The installers were really good and did hours of troubleshooting, so all wiring is new, all connections checked, signal is good on all... from 60-98. They initially went with 119 on port 1, 110 port 2, 129 port 3 and 61.5 port 4. Then they switched 129 and 61.5... didn't help. They even switched 119 and 110 around, tried all different ports, reset receiver, download info and then checked again... nothing has worked.

The swith just won't pull in 61.5. 61.5 works fine going through 34 switch, along with 110 and 119, which was the original configuration.

My first thought, along with theirs, is that it may just be a bad switch. There's just no logical reason it wouldn't pull in the 61.5.

Have you guys or any installers run into this problem? Anyone have any ideas as to what the issue could be? Is there any known issue running both 61.5 and 129 through a 44 switch? Oh yeah, I have to have both 129 and 61.5: 129 fro HD locals, 61.5 for my wife's Brazilian channels... so getting rid of either isn't an option.

Using a single ViP722DVR with two tv's.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks!

Chris

i run that exact setup and it works for me. although 61.5 does come up slow on the diag screen.

Thanks for the reply, Paradox!
When you say it comes up slow on the diag screen, do you mean that it takes a minute for the display to actually show 61.5? Mine isn't showing 61.5 at all, just #4 with NC. If I let it remain on the screen, do you think it will show up as recognized?

Oh yeah, another strange thing is that when it's checking the switch, it completes 4 of 4... not sure if that means it is positively detecting 4 satellites or just 4 inputs.

Thanks!!

you will get all the american programming only with 129. 61.5 will only give you a couple extra ppv channels. if you have international programming on 61.5, then i would be concerned. otherwise you can take that dish down if you dont need it.

you will get all the american programming only with 129. 61.5 will only give you a couple extra ppv channels. if you have international programming on 61.5, then i would be concerned. otherwise you can take that dish down if you dont need it.

Thanks for the reply!
Unfortunately, I do need 61.5 for Brazilian stations for my wife. If we lose that, I think I would need to make a new home in the doghouse!

It's just crappy that the one that's a must (besides 110/119) is the only one giving us a problem. I could even live without the HD locals (though I wouldnt like it), but 129 comes in perfectly. Seems that the 44 just doesn't like 61.5. I'm just hoping it's a bad switch, which, when working with a local dealer a few years ago, I saw a lot of... those and bad 34's.

Perhaps no dedicated power supply and power inserter for feed the DPP44 ? Check voltage on a cable coming to OUTPUT-1 of DPP44.

Thanks! Yeah, the power supply is fine, and it is dedicated at the inserter. 119, 110 and 129 pull in fine with no hitch.

Dish tech came out again Saturday morning with a new 44 to give it another shot. Same thing: 129, 119 and 110... no 61.5. 119 in port 1, 110 in port 2, 61.5 in 3 and 129 in port 4, though as long as 119 and 110 are in port 1 and 2, ports 3 and 4 shouldnt matter as far as which receives 61.5 and 129. Everything is DPP. The switch test results were the same: port 3 for 61.5 showed X and NC, the others were fine.

All new LNB's on 129 and 61.5 (singles), all DPP, all new RG6 everywhere, ViPDVR: everything's been changed. They even brought in a new 722 to see if was possibily the receiver, and same thing happened.

There's no logical reason it wont pull in 61.5, but it just wont do it. Going through the previous 34 switch, 119, 110 and 61.5 are fine together, and 119, 110 and 129 are also fine. Even whe nwe dropped the 129 and just ran the other three into the 44, it STILL wouldn't pull it in. It's almost like the 61.5 wont work with the DPP44.

Dish 1-800 tech support was no help and said they had never seen that happen before. But they did admit that the 129 and 61.5 isnt a popular combo.

The installer said that the international channels on 61.5 will soon be migrated to the 118, but they didn't know exactly when. He said the only thing to do is just wait until then. When it happens, he said he'll come back out and install a 500 Plus that will hit 119, 110 and 118 together... he thinks that will do the job because he said he's never had trouble pulling in the 118 with a 44 switch.

Kinda stinks though as I'll have to wait until who knows how long to get my HD locals. Just seems that I cant be the only one in the eastern U.S. that has had this problem.

As Smith, P. said, make sure the DPP44 is using a power inserter, not being powered from the receiver on output 1. A receiver may not supply enough power for the switch and LNBs especially if one of the LNBs is a DPP. You can also try moving the LNB inputs around on the 44 switch, all combinations work. All LNBs connected to the switch should be DP, not DPP as they draw too much power but should work anyway if using a power inserter. Try running check switch with the 110/119 LNBs not connected to test the 129/61 LNBs. If that works, sounds like not enough power.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)