Problem with DTV OTA antenna install, help...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

geaux1

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
guy tried to put it inside attic, reception on one of the channels full of pixelezation, then he put it outside and even worse on that channel and one other one. He then tried to say I have to go outside and move the antenna every time I change channels with a scewdriver and that DTV uses OTA HD antennas that are too small and he pointed at my neighbors which is twice the size. I then asked if he would point mine the direction my neighbors was pointing in and he said no and left. SO I went and went with a screw and moved mine his direction and that did not work. I also offered the guy $$$ to stay and move it again location wise and he refused. He was nice, seemed sincere but sounded clueless. I called DTV and they said that sounds like BS and would send someone in a few days (unfortunately I have to wait a week due to my schedule but that's my fault not theirs). ANy of this make sense to anyone??? DO I need a bigger OTA antenna??? Is this a common problem? I know the having to go outside and move it is BS, but what bout the rest?

You would be better off getting a antenna yourself. I originally bought a Directv supplied antenna but my local networks are both UFH/VHF. The Directv supplied is only UHF. They refunded my money and gave me $75.00 credit to buy my own - problem solved with a 30.00 channel master from Lowes. Check out antennaweb.org and it will tell you what kind of antenna you need. Good luck - The picture Quality is far superior to the HI-DEF feed you get from Directv.

I echo johnml's comments...

You need to check out antennaweb.org for several items before you can determine what antenna is best for you...

1. Distance and direction to local xmit antenna farm(s)...depending on how close you are to large metro cities, you might have several in different directions serving your home.

2. What frquencies your locals are xmitting their digital signals on...uhf and/or vhf...(here in Jax, our SD channel 25, ABC, xmits its digital signal on channel 13)

Then you need to review where your house sits in relationship to the xmit antenna(s) location(s)...are their objects such as buildings, trees, hills, etc in your line of sight...

While it may take some time and effort to figure which antenna is best suited for your location and where to locate it, once it's up you'll really appreciate the picture and audio (several of our locals are xmitting audio in 5.1 with their digital signal)...

Hope this helps...

I went and got a more expensive and good HD antenna, still had bad reception on Fox and a fwe others. I think it's where he put it as two of my nighbors have DTV with the crappy DTV OTA and get everything fine. I have a split level house and the dude was very lazy, he even tried to BS me and tell me he did not have to put the three LNB and could just leave the 2 LNB on. He put the OTA not on the top part of the house where I wanted it by the DIsh but on the lower level of the split level so it is blocked by the top level of house. That is where the pole is so that;s where I put the expensive HD antenna I bought and it still did not work which makes no sense. Anyway, DTV said they would come out Monday with a Tech guy but this time it's my schedule that means they can't out till nest weekend. At least NBC for the football game comes in clear. Hopeful;l they will astrighten this out.

Are you sure you have the CORRECT antenna and aimed at the correct heading for your location? Just being expensive or being placed in a certain spot on the house will not get it done. What is your service zip code?

It was a 360 degree antenna and my sevice zip is 38139.

geaux1,
What Charper is asying is absolutly correct.
You need to have the antenna pointed inexactly the right spot or you will not get your Digital signal., they are much more sensative than analog.
What the installers was saying was BS. and the fact he put it on the lower roof also is not right.
With antennas, the HIGHER the better,
Place your antenna at the peak of your house, I bought a house mount for the gable at Radio shack for like $15-20 bucks, also I would stongly suggest getting a rotor to go with it, you will need to run antenna wire to your TV, so you may as well do it all at once.
The rotor will make it so you can change antenna direction from your chair, with a nice little remote......No screwdriver and climbing on the roof to do it...What an idiot he was to tell you that.............
I would have called his boss and told him what he told you about the screwdriver and adjusting the antenna.

Sounds to me like the guy just wanted to go home....

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)