problem with freeze ups

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Twig93

Original poster
Nov 11, 2004
I currently have 3 Directv Samsung receivers. They are in different locations in my house. Every day for the last week, at least 2 of the receivers have frozen. When it freezes, you can hear the audio and the screen freezes on a program. According to the programming, they appear to be freezing each day between 9 and 10 am. I called tech. support and they have never heard of this. 3 different receivers freezing almost every day.

Could there possibly be something interfering with the dish daily? All 3 have yet to be frozen at the same time, but for 2 days now 2 of the receivers have frozen....yesterday...kitchen and bedroom...today....kitchen and rec. room. There are no trees or objects in front of the dish. I need some ideas of things to check....before I pay the astronomical fees for a tech. guy to come here and tell me he can't find anything.

Does it happen on the same channel?

With 3 receivers, you must have a multiswitch. It ight be that. If there is one, hook 2 of the receivers directly to the dish (bypass the multiswitch) and see what happens

There is no multiswitch. There are 3 separate lines.
Any other ideas?

If he has the Phase-III dish the multiswitch is built into the dish.

I would guess either the multiswitch or the LNBs.

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

Assuming this is satellite channels I think Jason is on the money. I had this problem with my Huges HIRD-E86 but it was only with OTA channels. It was weird too, I could get up the next day and have current audio but would have the frozen image of the previous evenings news.

Twig, do you have the Directv protection plan? If so your equipment is covered as well as the tech charge.

My Samsung 360 has been having the same problem for about the last week. The problem has occurred 6 times including 3 times on Wed night. I had to reboot each time. I saw similar reports on AVSForum.
Anyway, I called the D* technical area today and the woman said they are aware of the problem and this is what I needed to do to fix it (probably best for you to call the technical area again and go thru it with them):
---remove the access card
---unplug. wait a few seconds and plug back in.
---on the receiver hold the right arrow button down the hold the menu button down
---a service menu pops up
---click on Commands
---click on system defaults
---a msg will come up to insert access card
---put the access card back in

It's only been 5 hours but I haven't had the problem since.

I've been a D* customer for over 9 years and this is the 1st time that I ever called them with a problem where they quickly admitted they were aware of the problem and had a fix. The woman didn't even have to put me on hold. This was refreshing. I hope the fix was a permanent fix.

I've had the 360 since February and this is the first problem I had with it.

My samsung 360 started freezing / locking up after the last updates that were done.

I have the SIR300W. So are you saying this appears to be a problem with Samsung receivers? I haven't even had these a year. 2 for about 11 months and 1 for about 3 or 4.

The kitchen was frozen this morning again.

There are other threads that have mentioned it happening on the 300. I have the 75 and had a similar problem this past summer. A software update fixed my problem. I haven't seen it since.

Samsung. As a broadcaster we have seen all samsungs as poor HD boxes. We have two ST151's and the PBS has six of the other models and they all break up all the time and no other models do. We look at the digital with a bit stream decoder and are not sendind the errors that the Samsungs get. When I had D (cancelled yesterday) I was offered a Samsung or Phillips and I took the Phillips. These were the non-HD ones, but after seeing the ones we have at work, there was no way I was taking a Samsung.

We have the 300W. I asked my wife the same thing when I was awakened nice n early the other morning. It did not go well :) . I didn't ask the other 2 times it's happened (so far), but the plug-pull and replulg seems to work so far.

The samsung SIR-S300W (Think that was the model.) IRD is locking up and is known to D*'s engineers who are working on a fix (likely a software update).
The temporary fix is as mentioned, reset by unpluging for 15 seconds.

I've also noticed the same trend with the SIR-170 (EDIT May have been SIR-70 it's been 7 hours since I wrote it down and handed it to my supervisor :p) which also may be affected but is a less common box.

That's all the info that is being provided at this time.

I know this doesn't help much, just an FYI.
(And sorry if any of this was already confirmed/mentioned.)

We are getting many calls from retailers on lock ups for the Samsung S-75 as well. The other complaint is that the S-75 never took DST and D* told retailers & customers to set time manualy for now to standard time. So when we spring forward, all S-75 owners will be calling retailers & D* again.

The other issue is when changing DST to off and manually setting your time zone to PST, EST, MST CST, local networks come up as channel not available, unless you switch back to D* local time / DST on, which then displays an hour time difference in the guide, but you get channel lock.

Update. The TS-160 & TS-300 are also experiencing this problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)