Problem with having Dish Network and Comcast...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bigpoppapolska

Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Ok, I have service from both Dish Network and Comcast ( just because the comcast basic services comes with my highspeed internet package ).

If I run the comcast coax straight into the TV and RCA cables from the dish receiver ( 501 ) into the video 1 inputs, the cable works fine but the satelite picture on video 1 becomes wavey and the audio makes a buzzing noise.

When I run the comcast coax into the dish receiver input and from the dish receiver output into the TV and run RCA cables from the dish receiver into the video 1 inputs, the picture on the satelite becomes perfect but now I can't watch basic cable when the receiver is on because the picture becomes unwatchable.

This is a problem for me because sometimes I PVR a show for later viewing and would like to watch something on basic cable while it is recording. Or I like to PVR something on locals but would rather watch it on basic cable because on the dish the picture pixelates too much.

I tried plugging the RCA cables into the different VIDEO 1-3 inputs while the comcast coax goes straight into the TV but all it does is vary the strength of the waves.

I also tried seeing if anything else effects the setup, so I plugged RCA audio cables running from my computer speaker output into the VIDEO 3 input and while the picture on the dish remains fine, it kills the audio even though it is one VIDEO3 and not VIDEO1! My DVD player is plugged into the VIDEO 2 outputs and it causes no problems. I don't know what hurts it and what doesn't.

Someone please help.

And one more thing, I did not have this problem until I installed my DP34 switch. Before I could have everything run seperately into the tv without problem.

Another wierd thing is, if i just have one receiver hooked up to the switch, I have no problem.

my first question is how many rec's do u have just the one (501)? and how many cables feeding in you your cable boxand dish rec.? is it just the one? and if thats the case it sounds like u need a pair of diplexers to combine and seperate the signals

Run the comcast into the dish receiver and a coax out to the tv, dont use the rca's. When you want to watch the comcast service all you have to do is either turn off the 501 or use the tv/video button on your dish remote, it works the same as the tv/vcr button on your vcr's remote by switching the signal source priority.

Sounds like a grounding issue... ground loop.. make sure your cable box and dish are grounded well. I had this problem if I hooked up a dvd player to my tv that wasn't plugged in to the same outlet, as the outlet that the tv is on is wired to a battery backup..

Let me start again. I will explain EVERYTHING I did.

Before I installed the switch, I had the RG 6 coax, with comcast running on it, going into the CABLE IN input on the televsion. I had a RG 6 coax running from one of two outputs on my DISH 500 TWIN LNBF going into the DISHPRO 501 and the RCA cables running from the DISHPRO 501 going into the VIDEO 1 input on my television. Through the second output on the DISH 500 TWIN LNBF, I had a RG 6 coax running into a 4900 RECEIVER and RCA cables running into the VIDEO 1 input on my second television.

I wanted to install a DP34 switch. So, I purchased the switch, I got a DISHPRO 500 TWIN LNBF to replace the DISH 500 TWIN LNBF, and I replaced the 4900 RECEIVER with a DISHPRO 301 and a DISHPRO 111.

I mounted the DISHPRO 500 TWIN LNBF and ran RG 6 coax cables from both outputs on the LNBF into two of the three dish inputs on the DP34 switch.

With the DISHPRO 500 TWIN LNBF mounted and running into the DP34 switch, I ran a RG 6 coax from the first output on the DP34 switch into my DISHPRO 501. From the receiver, I ran the RCA cables into the VIDEO 1 input. I still had the RG 6 coax, with comcast running on it, going into the CABLE IN input on the televsion. The switch was detected and the channels worked. I could have the DISHPRO 501 on and the cable on at the same time without either distorting the others image.

This is where my problem began and what leads me to beleive that there is something wrong with the switch.

I ran a second RG 6 coax from the second output on the DP34 switch into the DISHPRO 301. I was not running a RG 6 coax, with comcast running on it, into the televsion the 301 was going to be connected to. As soon as I either ran RCA cables from the output of the 301 into the VIDEO 1 input on the televsion or ran a RG 6 coax from the CABLE OUT output on the 301 into the CABLE IN input on the second television, the satellite picture on the televsion attached the DISHPRO 501 became wavey and the sound would become distorted. If I powered off the DISHPRO 301 by unplugging it from the wall or removed ANY cables running from its outputs, the picture and sound on the DISHPRO 501 would come back to normal.

Like I explained earlier, my short term solution for this problem is running the RG 6 coax, with comcast running on it, into the CABLE IN input on the 501 and then running it from the CABLE OUT output into the CABLE IN input on the television. Then everything, other than the fact that my 501 has to be turned off in order for me to watch cable, is fine.

Anything?

Woh, I just tried something else and it fixed everything! I plugged the 501receiver and televsion into the same splitter coming out of the power outlet and now everything is fine. I don't know anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)