problem with new 625

tkdan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
I've got a new 625. I bought a used DP34 switch on ebay. I keep getting switch error messages. The first evening I hooked it up and activated it worked fine, the next day it started giving me problems. Is the DP34 switch the right one to use? Could the switch be bad? Is there another switch that can be used? I want to run more recievers off of it. Some times it will run the switch test and say it is ok some times it will say it is not. Any ideas or suggestions?

I forgot ot mention I have the switch in my attic and when I went up to check my connections the switch felt very hot it was hotter than the temp. it the attic. Is this normal?

I wouldn't put a switch in the attic because they do get hot. Start with checking the connectors.

Is the cable you're using RG6 rated to 2200 Mhz? Are you using any barrel connectors? If so, are they rated 3.0 Ghz. They will have the inside blue, green or red. If they are clear or white, those are for CATV rated to 1.0 Ghz.

You are using two cables to feed the 625, right?

Just got back to work. I have a dish500. Wicked I'm new to this how do I know what I have where? I have our 510 hooked up to one of the cables for the 625 and it works fine, But if I hook up the 625 I get the error messages. If I need a different switch I need to know which one to get.

Just got back to work. I have a dish500. Wicked I'm new to this how do I know what I have where? I have our 510 hooked up to one of the cables for the 625 and it works fine, But if I hook up the 625 I get the error messages. If I need a different switch I need to know which one to get.

We need to know if you're using a DP separator for the 625. Do you have 2 cable runs to the 625 also? With a DP34 switch you need 2 cable runs for the dual tuner receiver. If you want to use a single cable run and a DP separator then you need a DPP44 switch.

I have 2 cables running to the 625.

OK, we're clear now. Have you tried using different ports on the switch? For example, if you're using ports 1 and 2 move the cables to 3 and 4 and run check switch. Menu, 6, 1, 1, Check Switch.

You could also try clearing the switch matrix on the 625.

Disconnect the satellite feedS and run check switch. Connect satellite feedS and run check switch again.

I have a 311 in another room and I tried all the ports on it. 1-3 worked and 4 did not work. Also yesterday you asked about my cable it is RG6 and no I'm not using barrel connectors I go straight from the switch to the reciever.

OK so you have a 625, a 311 and a 510 receiver? That's 4 outputs and you only have 3 ports available since port 4 it's not working. So one of the receivers will not be connected to the switch until you replace it I assume.

Which ports have you tried for the 625?

I have the 625 on 1 & 2. Now the 311 is on 3 but it is was not working last night. I actually have a forth reciever and old 2700 it was my original one and a dish tech put up my new dish and hooked up the old unit through a switch. Later I added the 510 through another switch like the one the tech used and everything worked great. I bought the 311 and the 625 at the same time and I bought the DP34. I unhooked the switch to the 510 and replaced it with the DP34 with the intention of running the 311, 510, and 625 off of it but it is not working. So I want to run four recievers with the option of a fifth in the future. Have I went about this all wrong or am I on the right track with some other problem like bad connection or switch?

Since you've been changing from Legacy to Dish Pro, I suggest you clear the switch matrix in all the receivers. See if that clears your problem.

Last edited:
Ok, I cleared the switch matrix on all the recievers and the 2700 works but not the 625. The 510 never stopped working in the first place. I do still have the switch in the attic I was thinking of mounting it under the eave of my house it will be out of direct sunlight and be in open air. Will that keep it from getting too hot? When I move the switch I will be able to make sure all of my connections are good. Is there anything else I should do at this time or should I wait until I more my switch? Also I'm not sure about my cables from the dish to the switch if they are RG6 they were just some I had laying around. I assume they would have to be RG6 also.

The RG6 cables must be rated to at least 2200 Mhz. It should say in the jacket. Very important to have RG6 cable from the LNB to the receivers.

I would suggest you try different cables just to be on the safe side and move the switch out of the attic.

Before I crawl 50' through my hot attic I want to make sure my cable is ok. On the jacket it has RG6/0 QUAD SHIELD AWG TYPE CL2/CM 75C (ETL) 3020454 or CATV SUN RES SWEPT TO 3.0 GHZ. I really don't know what all that means, are these ok. Also are there any certain type of cable ends I shoud be using? I've been using some clamp-on inexpensive ones.

"RG6/0 QUAD SHIELD CATV SUN RES SWEPT TO 3.0 GHZ"

Cable is fine, it's swept to 3.0 Ghz. The connectors might be your problem. The best connectors are the compression connectors. Try redoing the crimp-on connectors and if that doesn't work, I recommend you replace all your connectors with compression connectors.

Here is a tool kit for compression connectors. I've been using that tool for over two years now without any problems.

52Pc Compression Connector Tool Kit - RG6/RG6Q - 506XL-KIT

Ok I replaced all the connectors with connectors for my cable. I've good cable from the LNB to the switch to the receivers. I was hooked into ports 1 & 2 for my 625 and 3 for my 2700 on my switch. 2700 is reading satellites no problem. 625 is still giving me a switch error message. I was getting a signal on 110 & 119 but on odd only. I switched the cable from 1 to 4 and I'm not getting any signal at all (on the 625). I guess I could hook-up to ports 2 & 3 with my 625 and see if it works. I'm really out of ideas other than replacing the switch. Any suggestions?

I've tried all of the different port configurations and none seem to work. I finally hookied up my original SW21 switch and hooked it up to my 510 and it is working. So I know I'm good from my LNB to my switch and from my switch to my receiver. I guess the only thing left is the switch. Should I stick with the DP34 or get a SW44 or SW64?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)