Problem with new setup, please help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

krisman

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
tn
i have a 36" Fortec Star Satellite Dish, SG-2100 Dish Motor, and sonicview 360 premier. I just set it up, put in my elevation and all that. It is not getting any channels at all, some sats are in the 52 range on reception, some are at 0. All of the sats are at 0 quality, i have tried moving the dish around. Its not getting any channels from any satellite. I hooked everything up right out of the box. What am i doing wrong?

You say some sats are at 52 range on reception some 0. All are 0 quality. The signal category will light up. It just indicates the receiver is hooked to the LNB. The Quality is what you want to look for. The reason you aren't getting any channels is because, either your dish isn't properly aligned or, you are not looking for signal from an active transponder if you do happen to be aligned on a satellite. Use the following post to find which transponder to choose for a given satellite.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/85225-i-need-strong-transponder-aim-my-dish.html

You should start by trying to align your true south satellite first. Have patience, you'll get it.

i aligned it up with true south, with the same problems. would you guys be so kind as to get the exact coordinates for me like elevation, true south, and dish angle for zip code 37841 just so i know im doing this right? it seems like each site gives me something different. also, on the motor. one side give me elevation, the other side latitude. im guessing that once one side is right, the other side is too?

i aligned it up with true south, with the same problems. would you guys be so kind as to get the exact coordinates for me like elevation, true south, and dish angle for zip code 37841 just so i know im doing this right? it seems like each site gives me something different. also, on the motor. one side give me elevation, the other side latitude. im guessing that once one side is right, the other side is too?

Krisman, have a look at the following. I think it may help you.

http://www.dmsiusa.com/documents/SG2100 easy manual.pdf

How to install an HH-Mount Motor? Applies to DG240-SM3D22-STABHH100-HH120-Motech-SG2100

goto GeoSatFinder - Satellite Finder Calculator - Satellite AV
it shows for ONEIDA, TN United States that the compass reading is 185.5 degrees (for AMC 16 (85.0 W)) satellite. Set you motor using the Latitude scale to your latitude of 36.5 degrees. You will have either a 40 or 30 degree bend in the shaft adapter of your motor - go with the instructions that came with the motor to set your dish elevation, such as 30-5.8 = 24.2 degrees (the 5.8 degrees is from the declination table for 36.5 deg latitude). Don't move the motor on the latitude scale, move ONLY the dish on the elevation slightly up or down as you swing the whole motor assembly left to right until you find the satellite. Make sure your receiver is set to a working transponder (12189 H 3978) and that the L.O. (local oscillator) setting (10750 for standard) matches your LNB LO. If I were you, I would set it up first without the motor, find your TS satellite, get acquainted with you system - then set up the motor IMHO.
Bob

Goto - GeoSatFinder.com
You will find that your TS satellite is 85W at compass reading of 185.5 degrees. Set your motor at your latitude of 36.5 degrees on the latitude scale of the motor (ignore the elevation scale). Set your dish using the formula from your instruction manual using the angle of the motor shaft adapter (30 or 40 degrees) less the declination of 5.8 degrees for your latitude, for instance 30-5.8=24.2 degrees. Make sure the LO of your receiver is set to the LO of the LNB (10750 for a standard LNB).
Set the receiver to an active transponder - should be 12189 H 3978 for 85W. Move the whole assembly left to right and back S L O W L Y until you find the satellite. You may have to move the dish up a degree or two then repeat. When you move the dish do NOT move the elevation setting on the motor.

If I were you, I would set the system up first without a motor - much easier to get every thing working - then set up the motor. IMHO
Bob
by the way :welcome

thank you. now the only problem i would have is finding true south for zip 37841. one site is giving me 190 and the other is giving me 180, i have a few trees about 15-20 feet away but that shouldnt hurt anything i wouldnt think. also on the receiver, do i need to use usals or whatever it is called to input my long and lat?

....do i need to use usals or whatever it is called to input my long and lat?

Yes, set your dish to true south and select USALS and enter your information. Then select a sat, like wescopc stated (85w), the motor will move the dish to where it thinks it located. Began moving dish left/right, pause for a few seconds between moves. Note also that the dish elevation markings may be a little off on the dish, so be prepared to move it up/down also. My 31" fortec was about 3 off...

ok, last night with the coordinates, i got an 85 signal wihh a 0 quality. even moving it up and down and all around, the quality meter never moved, but signalwas back to 52 when i was done. when it was 85, the dish was amost sideways where the motor had moved so much. here is the breakdown, the receiver hookups are all right insde, the coax cable i ran from my antenna to the dish, it is quite old, i thought maybe that could be a problem. the lnb cable is ran from the motor to the first input, which is labled "c". and the lnb brackett i noticed was holdng it nearest the base instead of nearest the ball. but the lnb has no numbes so i wouldnt know how to adjust the skew. would any of these be the problem?

if not, i guess ill be taking the motor off

When using a motor, the LNB should be in Straight up and down.
Power Off receiver (unplug) and remove any switches.
The Quality Meter only reacts if the TP that is selected, is active. It does not indicate that you are pointed at a Sat. You could be dead nuts on a Sat, but if the TP that you have selected is not active, Q will be Zero.
Since you have a Invacom QPH013 LNB and are connected to the "C"ircular port try this:
In the receiver's Setup menu, look for a Sat named "Nimiq" at 82 west.
For Motor, select "USALS" and enter correct Long & Lat if you haven't yet, have receiver drive there.
LNB Settings:
LNB Power: ON
LNB: Standard or Single
L.O. / Freq: 11250
DiSEqC: OFF
22KHz: OFF

Loosen Motor mount bolts just enough to twist Motor on pole until you get Quality, Peak Dish Elevation and Motor Mount direction. Do not adjust Motor Lat setting, or manually drive dish.
When Quality is Peaked, power off receiver (unplug) Connect to the "L"inear port on the LNB.
Power back up, go to the receiver's Setup menu, look for Sat Galaxy 10R @ 123 west.
LNB type: Standard or Single
LNB L.O. / Freq: 10750
Motor: USALS, no need to re-enter location, just have receiver drive there.

i wasnt on an active transponder i dont think, i input the active tp but it gives ma an option of auto, 1/2 and 3/4 what do i choose?

i got the info from here on the tp post. i am guessing it is right because it continuously blinks from 48 to 50 to 48 on signal, never happened before/ i adjusted it left to right with no quality signal as of yet/ will fool with dish elevation some more to see what i can do. as long as i am in the 180 to 190 ts range, that 10 degree range should be all ill have to move it sideways to pick up signal right? the only other way is up and down

Did you try for the Nimiq Sat?
Signal strength just indicated that there is Power going to the LNB, if you put your hand in front of the LNB, you will still get a Signal Strength.
Quality is the only thing that counts.
The first time is not easy, everyone seems to thing that it's "Plug-N-Play" and it's not. It's all about the Details, one wrong selection in the receiver's setup menu and you will not get a Quality reading. Other thing is Small Moves, 1/64" twist on the pole = 1 degree, if you are one degree off you will not get a Quality reading.

After reading the thread I just wanted to clarify what yoru true south really is. Your "true south" is a degree such as 80 for example, and this is just a blank space in the sky. You will have no way possible of knowing if your pointed exactly at 80.0 because there is nothing there. Thats why we use a sat as our true south. You must find a sat that is closest to your true south degree, thisi s the easiest way to aim the sat for your true south. ~~Point it at a sat located near your true south measurement.~~ The good folks here have suggested that once you set up your motor exactly as the instructions say, rotate the motor and dish on as one assemly on the shaft until you hit either AMC 16 (85.0 W)) or the Nimiq Sat. Once you have the dish aimed at one of these sats this will be your true south. I know what your thinking that it will be a little off but that will not matter it will be close enough for the motor to track the arc. I Think because of your location either of these sats will work as "your true south", this makes it very easy to tune in. If I were you I would go for the Nimiq Sat because I ~~think~~it is considered a hot bird and has a strong signal. Good luck.

dang, so ive been aiming at true south on my compass when im supposed to be aiming at 85 west? no wonder im not getting anything. but, my neighbors have dish and direct and they both point at about the same place. my fta will point at a different direction? i shouldnt even drive the motor east to west then until i get the dish pointed at the sat then?

You start at your True South and find the closest Sat from there.
Don't confuse Compass Direction and Longitude, two different things.
Sats are in position according to Longitude, not Compass Direction.
Point your set up to the proper Compass Direction.
Connect to the "C" port on the LNB, in the Receiver Setup Menu, look for a Sat named Nimiq at 82 west
Setup LNB Settings:
LNB: Standard or Single
L.O. / Freq: 11250
DiSEqC: OFF
22KHz: OFF
For Motor, select "USALS" and enter correct Long & Lat if you haven't yet, have receiver drive there.

then slowly twist the motor on the pole watching for Quality.

I thought that ever since Nimiq 2 became Nimiq 4 that its footprint was mostly Canada? I don't seem to see it from central California anymore. I think 85°W or 83°W would be a better True South. That zipcode somes up as 84.5°W

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)