Problem with new setup, please help

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ice,

Thanks for that information! Since you have tested the early Coolsat models (expressly the 5K) and you stated that the threshold was 63-64%, I find that I cannot agree with you more! That is precisely what we are finding with that same model in our applications.
I owned a 4000 when it first came out and then the 5000 too (throw in the 8000 as a beta tester) ;)

If the signal is a circular polarity (like the NASA channel) then the threshold is higher, about 68-71% roughly.
sounds about right. Dish Network has 5/6 FEC (versus 3/4 that alot of stations use) so you need higher quality. I max the meter on my 5000.

so if i am right on my true south sat, i should be between 95-100 quality?

so if i am right on my true south sat, i should be between 95-100 quality?

Krisman,

depends on the transponder. Are you using 87W as your nearest due south linear satellite for top of the arc alignment? Provide me the transponder frequency you are using and I can provide my signal strength for comparison. TiP TV and the Patient Channel on 11.716H on 87W is peaking out out 70% signal strenght and 88% signal quality for me using the Coolsat 5000 and Wingard DS2076 (31 inch) dish. Of course the Sonicview quality level will be different.

heck yeah it will be different, im thinking im just going to go ahead and use nimiq 2 82w for my southbird since it will be easier. i havent done it yet but i think it should be at least 79 on quality maybe even signal both. but im going to drive it to the position with the receiver and then twist it on the pole like lak said. then find best quality by twisting it, then tighten the bolts, move it up and down till i get the max that i can, then i should be done. what i want to know is how in the world you got 3000 channels with your coolsat. i think the tp is 12239 if im not mistaken

heck yeah it will be different, im thinking im just going to go ahead and use nimiq 2 82w for my southbird since it will be easier. i havent done it yet but i think it should be at least 79 on quality maybe even signal both. but im going to drive it to the position with the receiver and then twist it on the pole like lak said. then find best quality by twisting it, then tighten the bolts, move it up and down till i get the max that i can, then i should be done. what i want to know is how in the world you got 3000 channels with your coolsat

I sent you the channel list in an email. You will have to open it in Channel Master. You must realize that although my channel list contains over 4200 channels, about 1200 are radio the rest are TV. About 300 are Cband the balance KU. The list contains both encryted and in the clear signals. I would say about 1500 are in the clear TV, however a lot of these are feed channels and not always active. Close to 350 feed channels on the list. Satellites scanned are all KU and Cband that the Coolsat 5000 can receive between and including 30W to 148W. Wether you can view the channels or not on your receiver, its cool to know what is actually up there for broadcasts.

Sounds like you have a handle on setting up your nearest due south satellite. However after you use 82W, then go to 87W and the transponder I listed. This is why; 82W is a circular and with much more power and is forgiving for alignment errors, the linear broadcasts are NOT! If you first align to 82W this will get you in the ball park and make it much more easy to find 87W linear. Now use the signal coming from 87W to fine tune as to speak the top of the arc.

One last note; as long as you choose a linear satellite within 5 degrees of true due south for aligning the top of the arc you will have no problems. I know for you there is closer sats like 83 and 85, but these only carry feeds and the transponders are not always active. So 87W is your best choice.

Sounds like you have a handle on setting up your nearest due south satellite. However after you use 82W, then go to 87W and the transponder I listed. This is why; 82W is a circular and with much more power and is forgiving for alignment errors, the linear broadcasts are NOT! If you first align to 82W this will get you in the ball park and make it much more easy to find 87W linear. Now use the signal coming from 87W to fine tune as to speak the top of the arc.

Sounds like he's already found 87W so, it would seem counterproductive to go back to 82.

Boomer- you are right. I forgot he already had 87W in, any alignment adjustment with 82W is counter productive especially seeing that it is a circular broadcast. To answer his question about 7 to 10 channels being on 87W, that sounds about right for normal channels, 87W also carrys some feeds so there could be a few more on ocassion. I just checked my channels on 87W and have about 11 but some are the same broadcast, they just say english aribic french and the like but are the same broadcast from what I can tell.

Hey walrus, I realize you weren't directing him to go back and do 82. I just saw his post saying he was going to do that. I realized that slipped by you in your reply so, it was more just for his benefit. :)

this web site will not let me point you to a web site that will help you because i don't have enough posts try dish pointer . com without all the spaces. It will be a great help. Be patient it is worth the effort.

yes i have actually saw that, it seems pretty good robert w especially the diagrams about sat positioning. i did a little tuning today and 82w nimiq is coming in near perfect, even when i tell the receiver to go to sat, it is right there, no movement. so apparantly im dead on my due south sat. the problem i had was i used the tp from the list on here and didnt get but 63 signal and 30 quality, but i moved to tp 12253 and got near 100 quality and 90 signal. i was wondering my next move. i have some stored sat positions in my receiver, i am thinking i should do a factory reset?

Try a Linear Sat, something close to 82.
No need to reset if you are not having problems, just set the Sats to use USALS for motor.

nevermind i got the receiver back inside and it had went to -5 degrees. i tuned into 82w nimiq and it showed 77w echostar. and 87w showed 82w nimiq, the good news is the circular sats showed great reception/ i am getting really fed up with this thing, should i be getting a new receiver to replace my sv 360 or a new dish to replace the fortec star 36 inch. i dont know how much patience i have left

should i be getting a new receiver to replace my sv 360 or a new dish to replace the fortec star 36 inch. i dont know how much patience i have left[/quote]

I'd go for another receiver first. And I know others have had luck with those motors running in extreme cold but I suspect the temps may not be helping it any. It doesn't sound like your rec is sending good commands to it though, not all the time.

And I know others have had luck with those motors running in extreme cold but I suspect the temps may not be helping it any.

SG2100 here...been using it for 5 Minnesota winters

runs like a champ when it was -27 the one morning (actually we had 4 mornings in a row of -19 or greater) and it worked fine the whole time :)

I think what Krisman is asking is which receiver has the best motor control functions as far as USALs and Diseqc commands. The Sonicview he is using has some issues driving the dish to the correct location. I also tested this receiver and experienced the same thing, the reciver can not be trusted to drive the dish to the correct position with any consistency.

SG2100 here...been using it for 5 Minnesota winters

runs like a champ when it was -27 the one morning (actually we had 4 mornings in a row of -19 or greater) and it worked fine the whole time :)

Iceberg,

I have played with several motors. I started out with the SG-2100 (MOTECK and DIGIPOWER SG-2100's). These are excellent motors, I trust them very well and I have no qualms about recommending them.

However, I found a newer model motor that I do like better... PowerTech DG-240/280/380 motors. I tested all three of these and I can honestly say that the PowerTech DG-280 is my personal favorite. I bought them all from Sadounds.

The DG-280 is almost identical to the SG-2100 (operates precisely the same) but the DG-280 has been on steroids! LOL

My best recommendations (personally) would be a Coolsat 5K receiver, an Invacom QPH-031 LNBF, a Winegard DS-2076 dish, a PowerTech DG-280 motor and either a DN SW21 or Chieta HD DiSEqC 4x1 switch.

For most locations throughout the continental US, these components ought to serve nearly every user quite well.

I think that all of these components (put together) make a great combo setup. The cost of all are parts are fair, not too expensive, although not free. The dish size and gain are adequate, but not too large or heavy or awkward. The motor fits the dish weight excellently. The LNBF matches the dish gain and attachment.

I am very happy with the system that I have. What do you think of these equipment choices?

Thanks Iceberg,

AcWxRadar

I had a Invacom but due to the heaviness of the lNB and my northern location (Minneapolis) the weight of the LNB was screwing up the readings. I got rid of that and went with a Sadoun dual LNB and old DirecTV DBS LNB.

Main setup is Coolsat 5000, SG2100, Winegard 76cm dish and the 2 LNB's above. Other than the LNB's being replaced a year or so ago that system has been there for 3+ years now :)

Krisman been there too

Krisman I've been thru some of the same stuff your'e going through. Patience does wear thin. I ordered a different receiver a Fortec Star Dynamic yesterday. The crappy receiver I had is a Sonset, it's ok for my 3 fixed dishes not for the SG2100. I tell it to move a few degrees and it would suddenly go completely east or west....a mind of it's own! it didn't support Usals either. It worked Friday and went crazy yesterday. With a little luck and warmer weather we will get it done....someone told me over a month ago patience is the word....I'm not giving up that easy. Hangin there!!!!! These folks in here are a world of help as you know, Blind:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)