Problem with R15 and Caller ID

Status
Please reply by conversation.

goondog71

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
Massachusetts
I just installed my R15 today and everything seems to be working fine except for the caller ID. Out of 10 calls today it only worked twice. Is anyone else experiencing this? My previous receiver was a RCA and its caller id worked fast.

goondog71 said:
I just installed my R15 today and everything seems to be working fine except for the caller ID. Out of 10 calls today it only worked twice. Is anyone else experiencing this? My previous receiver was a RCA and its caller id worked fast.

I have the same problem. Don't really know what the causing it to happen.

TimGoodwin said:
I have the same problem. Don't really know what the causing it to happen.
Me too. A reset (pressing the reset button next to the access card) seems to get it going again, but not for long. Disabling and re-enabling doesn't seem to do anything. My update is "f".

Thanks guys. I am wondering if something broke the callerid in the last software update. I hope this gets fixed fast it is a really useful feature. The only other thing I did not like about it was when it was working, you manualy had to clear the number from the screen, my old RCA receiver would clear on its own after about 4 sec. D* needs to put this feature in as well.

goondog71 said:
Thanks guys. I am wondering if something broke the callerid in the last software update. I hope this gets fixed fast it is a really useful feature. The only other thing I did not like about it was when it was working, you manualy had to clear the number from the screen, my old RCA receiver would clear on its own after about 4 sec. D* needs to put this feature in as well.

My RCA DTC210 has always worked flawlessly. My D10 still fails to work on occasion, but works most of the time. The R15 has a problem.

frogg said:
My RCA DTC210 has always worked flawlessly. My D10 still fails to work on occasion, but works most of the time. The R15 has a problem.

Well... its my understanding that the D10, R10, H10, and R-15 are D*'s first crack at wrinting the software. Maybe there is a glitch in all of them.

Well, the H10 had a nice bug for unknown numbers on the caller ID (would cause the box to reset)

But, that was fixed in a s/w update.

joedekock said:
Well... its my understanding that the D10, R10, H10, and R-15 are D*'s first crack at wrinting the software. Maybe there is a glitch in all of them.

Caller ID isn't working for me either. I did a soft reset once and that fixed it, but it quit again yesterday and hasn't worked since...

joecool1964 said:
Caller ID isn't working for me either. I did a soft reset once and that fixed it, but it quit again yesterday and hasn't worked since...
It does appear to be a software problem, as a reset will restore function for two calls, then it quits working again. Hopefully some D* folks monitor this and other forums reporting this annoyance. Caller ID is one of the main reasons I waited for the R15 instead of buying the R10. :(

The caller id on the older RCA recievers was the best. It was quick, easy to read, had options for time it was displyed & the biggest thing it had a phone on the channel banner. If someone called while I was at work that phone would be lit up. It was nice because you didn't have to get in the menu. All Direct receivers should be based on the RCA UI. It was the best I've seen on ANY machine. The new Dish 625 is nice to look at too.

I got about two caller ids that worked all month. I did watch when a call came in and the R15 knew that the phone rang as it popped up a message. Not with the number but instead that I should call my local phone company and get caller id!

My other three Hughes receivers all work fine with caller id.

My R15 caller ID function has worked fine now for about 2 weeks EXCEPT when I receive a call that my other caller ID units display as “number unknown” or “out of area” (which is usually a wrong number). From that point on it won't display anymore calls until I unplug the power and force it to reboot. Then it works properly until I get another anonymous call and then the "feature" is dead again..

I talked to ta tech yesterday and was told that the callerID problem could be an issue with the grounding of the receiver. I told him I would try to fix it but I have not idea how this could affect the callerID. Also he told me it would be a few months before there is a software upgrade to allow the R-15 to have the dual buffers.

goondog71 said:
I talked to ta tech yesterday and was told that the callerID problem could be an issue with the grounding of the receiver. I told him I would try to fix it but I have not idea how this could affect the callerID. Also he told me it would be a few months before there is a software upgrade to allow the R-15 to have the dual buffers.

He was pulling your chain about the caller id. How could it be a grounding issue when the receiver is not grounded? There is only a two-prong cord to go into an outlet. :confused:

It amazes me that some people are still smart enough to breathe.

goondog71 said:
Well it does work after a reset or power-on state as others here have also said. I can't believe it's a grounding problem. The RG-6 cables are also grounded (earth) that come into the unit. The R15 also knows of a incomming call and tells me that I have to subscribe to Caller-ID with my local phone company to receive it.

Also, I had a Hughes GCEB0A receiver in R15's place. That unit never had a problem with Caller-ID.

goondog71 said:
I agree with you. The old Hughes receivers also popped up the caller and would go aways after 4 seconds. Now we have to clear it.

Another anonyance is when you use the remote to control another component (DVD, VCR, TV). It pops up a message that the remote is set to control another equipment. You have to clear that message too with a press of any key. Now if I was the programmer for this, I would only pop up a message if the remote switch is off the DVR and you pressed a button that only is used to control a R15 function. And that too would have the message go away after about 4 seconds.

Caller ID problem must be a software issue as doing a soft reset fixes it for a while. Everytime it stops working a reset makes it work again for a while. A reset re-boots the software and does not change any hardware. Hopefuly there will be a software upgrade to fix this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts