Problem with recording lengths on 722

JimP

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Wetumpka, AL
I've noticed that if on an OTA recording, if I don't allow to record extra minutes, I may not get all of a show. That happened tonight with Big Bang Theory (which by the way doesn't have full episodes on the web, so I can't go there to watch what I missed)

I know that there is a basic logic problem in that if you are using all your tuners that you might run into programming problems due to schedule overlaps.

What have you guys done to minimize this?

I also have my HD locals through OTA and Dish Sat. One of my OTA channels isn't reliably strong enough so I get it over OTA.

I think part of the problem is that my TIVO S3 (also OTA) actually looks at the title of a program in the data stream and continues recording until its done where the Dish 722 goes strictly by the time slot as adjusted by the added pre/post minutes.

I did find my last 30 seconds or so of Big Bang Theory at the beginning of CSI Miami.

I think part of the issue is the lag between the time the broadcaster broadcasts the show, and the time it takes to uplink that to the satellite, beam it back down, and have the DVR decode. I know some of these broadcasters do things down to the exact second. If a show is to start at 8:00pm, it starts at 8:00:00, right on the dot, according to the atomic time I guess.

I've been wondering why we can't set a little time delay for the internal clock on the DVR. On the channels that do this, it's very predictable. I will always lose the last 5 seconds of The Soup for instance. I always get the last 5 seconds of the previous show that airs right before The Soup.

I don't think you can take things down to the second. While NBC I know starts and ends their network time frame (8p-11p) at 4 seconds past the hour, that doesn't mean the shows inside that time frame will start and end perfectly. The 8-9 WILL start at 8:00:04. However. It might end at 8:59:30, the 9-10 would start at 8:59:30 and end at 9:01:15, then the 10-11 show starts and 'your local news' will start at 11:00:04. Those times could vary by day and by week.

It depends on how the shows were produced for that night.

cornflakes,

You're right about the uplink/downlink delay as I can flip between the OTA input and sattelite input of the same show and see it but its only a few seconds.

I'd think adding 1 minute at the end and correct start times would be enough. It didn't seem to be with Big Bang Theory. Its almost as if you need to record a string of shows on the same channel to be sure that if nothing else, the end shows up at the beginning of the next show.

I'm wondering how station specific it might be. That might simplify how I work around it.

Last edited:
I did find my last 30 seconds or so of Big Bang Theory at the beginning of CSI Miami.

I always lost the last couple of minutes of Lost but was able to catch them at the beginning of V. I don't recall this being such an issue on cable. You can extend the record start and stop times, but if you have multiple timers going you can run into conflicts so I tend to not mess with that.

cornflakes,

You're right about the uplink/downlink delay as I can flip between the OTA input and sattelite input of the same show and see it but its only a few seconds.

I'd think adding 1 minute at the end and correct start times would be enough. It didn't seem to be with Big Bang Theory. Its almost as if you need to record a string of shows on the same channel to be sure that if nothing else, the end shows up at the beginning of the next show.

I'm wondering how station specific it might be. That might simplify how I work around it.
What i have found is if you have something set to record on the same tuner for the next hour the dish dvr will not honor the added minutes
When i first switch to dish i kept extending the time it just ignores it and switches

I think stations do this on purpose so you would extend your recording by a minute or two, and then subsequently create a programming conflict which leads to the DVR to not record the other show on a competitor's channel.

Frankly I think there needs to be regulations in place for this stuff... If you schedule/advertise a program to be between 8:00 and 8:30, that show needs to start and end completely between that time period. If they want to play games, they can schedule shows to be 8:00 to 8:31, as long as the whole show is between those times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts