Problem with sling adapter and laptop

relatica

Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Hampton Roads, Virginia
Here is the problem that I am having. When trying to use the sling adapter to watch remotely at home on my local network, it will work if I use an old version of the sling player and not trying going through dish's website. This however doesn't show the tv guide or give me access to my DVR. But going through the dish website on my desktop works just fine. Outside of my network, I still can't access it through the website or the sling player. But any other computer (using windows xp, not windows 7) that I have tried using besides my laptop, it seems to work just fine. I just installed a fresh copy of windows 7 home premium and it worked fine up until I downloaded the windows updates. Does anyone have any idea if there is some kind of microsoft update that is causing problems with this?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and I have tried both internet explorer and firefox and neither are working.

Last edited:
But it works fine non-stop until I install the updates. So if it didn't meet the specs, why would it work for over an hour after a fresh Windows install and then just stop after the updates?

Thank you for taking the time to try helping. And after talking to the CSR's for over an hour yesterday, I got no where as they have no idea.

***NEW INFO*** Once again, I just installed a fresh copy of windows 7 on my laptop. With no windows updates and nothing else installed, I am sitting here watching tv.

Update - I just installed the driver updates only from windows update and it is still working. I didn't install any of the security updates or windows 7 updates. Now I can be watching tv and it errors out saying that the sling is starting up and to try again later.

Thanks again guys for taking the time to read and give your inputs.

Last edited:
In the case of Windows XP, the Windows' system requirements effectively double when you go to Service Pack 3. If your machine has 512MB of RAM or less, it is toast. Yes, it will function, but it won't function quickly or reliably.

If your laptop doesn't meet Windows XP recommendations, there's little hope that it will meet Sling's requirements without at least a RAM upgrade.

Windows update might be installing a buggy driver for your video card. You might want to disable that particular update or try to download the newest version from the manufacturers website.

Windows update might be installing a buggy driver for your video card. You might want to disable that particular update or try to download the newest version from the manufacturers website.
Installing drivers is something you have to go out of your way to do. It doesn't happen automatically.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts