GEOSATpro Problem with Spitfire Elite LNB

ihenry

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
Aberfoyle, ON, CA
I am a returning newbie. I have just replaced my old (pre 2005) LNB with a Spitfire Elite which I bought with my new microHD. The old LNB seemed to work just fine with the microHD, particularly when fine tuning the satellites with the rotator. The Spitfire works well at first when changing satellites, showing the signal (90) and quality (74). However when I jog the motor, the signal drops to 45 and the quality goes to 0, indicating no satellite. If I jog back and forth the signal does not return. However if I go to reference or another satellite and then back to the original satellite the signal returns. My old LNB has no trouble with maintaining signal and quality indicators while I jog back and forth to find the sweet spot for the satellite. Would this be a Spitfire defect or perhaps moisture in my coax connectors? Interaction between the motor and LNB? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and cheers, iHenry

I am a returning newbie. I have just replaced my old (pre 2005) LNB with a Spitfire Elite which I bought with my new microHD. The old LNB seemed to work just fine with the microHD, particularly when fine tuning the satellites with the rotator. The Spitfire works well at first when changing satellites, showing the signal (90) and quality (74). However when I jog the motor, the signal drops to 45 and the quality goes to 0, indicating no satellite. If I jog back and forth the signal does not return. However if I go to reference or another satellite and then back to the original satellite the signal returns. My old LNB has no trouble with maintaining signal and quality indicators while I jog back and forth to find the sweet spot for the satellite. Would this be a Spitfire defect or perhaps moisture in my coax connectors? Interaction between the motor and LNB? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and cheers, iHenry

How much current is the Spitfire rated for? Perhaps due to your wiring or connectors, your system can barely put out the required current needed. So, the motor sucks down the power, and the Spitfire just can't recover losing that much current for some reason.

Doubt that it is current related, but could be voltage or 22khz tone.

Does this occur on both horizontal and vertical polarities or only on horizontal?

I believe the Spitfire is Universal LO? If so, try setting the LNB to 10600 and turn 22khz ON. Does this correct the loss of signal?

Also, try placing a 2x1 APPP (all port power passing) splitter before the motor and connect one output to the motor and the other to the LNBF instead of looping through the motor.

"How much current is the Spitfire rated for? Perhaps due to your wiring or connectors, your system can barely put out the required current needed. So, the motor sucks down the power, and the Spitfire just can't recover losing that much current for some reason."

Thanks, I thought of that too. The Spitfire current draw is 90 ma at 11.5 to 14 V and the SG2100 is 200 ma (350 max) at 13 to 18 V. The microHD supposedly puts out 500 ma but I have also seen 350 somewhere. The old LNB that works without a hiccup has no label any more (sun, wind, rain and ice) so I don't know the specs but suspect a higher current draw than the Spitfire. I'll do the disconnect/reconnect thing and report back on results tomorrow. Bigger fish to fry tonight.

Cheers, iHenry

Thank you, Brian,

I have been following the microHD discussions and had set up for 10600 and 22khz on. I also tried the universal settings. The problem is on both polarities as I tried different transponders. I think you may be correct about the voltage. The motor staring torque may be bringing the voltage below the Spitfire threshold but not the older LNB.

Cheers, iHenry

Using current firmware version?

If it happens on both horizontal and vertical polarities, it isn't likely to be a voltage issue. I'm stumped and will need to think a bit more about this.

I recall talk last year about the Spitfire having issues when used with a motor. Don't remember the details, but might be worth searching.

For what its worth I have seen this before too.

Try a different model LNBF. The SF was a great choice for an LNBF until the PLL's came out in my opinion.

Wow! What a response. Thank you all. I woke up this morning with a fresh mind and read all the replies to my perceived problem. Brian had asked about the firmware version. Because I just received the microHD fresh from the distributor after a few weeks wait on back order (I live in Canada) I assumed the software would be up to date. When I checked this morning I found this not to be true. The system firmware/software still had the May date. With my old LNB I updated to the latest version and then reinstalled the Spitfire. Poof, the problem has disappeared and everything seems to be working OK. I can now find and fine tune the satellites with no problem, stronger than ever. One little quirk that seems to have cropped up is the periodic blanking of the screen for a second or so when I open the channel information window. But I am now a happy camper. Thanks again to you all and apologies to Brian for missing the version thing. Now to get my PBS channels. They seem to have gone into hiding.

Cheers, iHenry

Great to hear that the problem is resolved.

To address the screen blanking. Sounds like the output resolution may be set to Auto and the TV is needing to change input resolutions. If so, instead select the highest fixed resolution that your TV will support (1080p / 60hz???).

What PBS channels are you referring too?

Great to hear that the problem is resolved.

To address the screen blanking. Sounds like the output resolution may be set to Auto and the TV is needing to change input resolutions. If so, instead select the highest fixed resolution that your TV will support (1080p / 60hz???).

Hi Brian, I have been following many threads on various issues that people are having with the MicroHD.
I have seen a lot of tips that you have given for a lot of different situations, such as this one for the resolution.
I don't know if all these are explained in the manual, but I was thinking that it might be nice to have a "Sticky" list of tips that you could put all these into?
BTW, the more I use it, the more I like my Micro.
Thanks,

I am referring to any PBS channels on the Ku band. I can see them on 125 but they are not viewable, quality highly variable and less than 25 on the MicroHD. They do not seem to come in nearly as strong as they did on the Viewsat Ultra when they were SD. I have not seen any outside of 125. Correct me if I am wrong. I have a 1 meter dish, SG2100 and a Spitfire LNB, no switches. My dish is 15 feet from the receiver and has clear view. I am just west of Toronto.

Thanks an cheers, iHenry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)