Problem with USB HDD on Manhattan receiver

Martyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Annandale, VA
I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem with a Manhattan Starlight 6900USB receiver.

We plugged in a 4TB hard drive and got "no device found" when we attempted to record. Reformatted from NTFS to ExFAT, same problem. So we tried a 1TB drive, NTFS and ExFAT had the same problem. Tried FAT32, same problem.

Any ideas?

A USB memory stick formatted as FAT32 worked fine, but it's not enough capacity for our use.

Could it be this receiver (about which almost nothing seems written) cannot drive a hard disk without external power?

The receiver is in Indonesia, which is where it is mostly written about. In the system specs it includes an email "manhattan.digital@gmail.com" for support, which I emailed. But the use of Gmail makes me think it might be a clone?

Any suggestions or help greatly received!

Blast from the past... If an original product. Built about ten years ago by the European Manhattan manufacturer (not to be confused with the US based company, Manhattan Digital). Maybe NOS or a India clone as you suggest.

If NOS, depending on the chipset, there might be a drive size limitation of 2TB and likely only supports FAT32. My guess is that a powered USB drive would work as most STBs are not designed to handle the power requirements of a harddrive.

Reactions: KE4EST
Thanks! I got an email from Jeff at Manhattan USA. I had no idea it turns out there are two companies sharing the Manhattan Digital brand. I don't think it's quite 10 years old. Are you confusing with the Starlight 6900, which looks different from the Starlight 6900USB?

Anyway, Jeff reckons FAT32 and up to 2TB should be fine, as you do, and I tried that so I think the main suspect now is the power supply.

I'm going to try to find one of those USB cables with a power spur.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts