Problem with VCII+ module in second hand DSR922

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dougbrown

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 31, 2005
Southern WI
First off left me express my stupidity as I can't really figure out where to post this. I have a DRS 922 that seems to work properly , at least on digital channels. Unscrambled analogue is also ok. My problem when I try to access a scrambled analogue signal I get a very mixed up screen but have been able to play with the settings to the point where I see a message telling me that the VCII+ module was not found. This all started slowly and at first I was getting the good reception of the scrambled signals. But then the picture would go away and I had to turn off the device and reseat the VCII+ module. But the problem got progressively worse. Not I can't get any VCII+ scrabbled channels, but unscrambled work fine. My module has a good (for now ) battery and valid ID. Help, any ideas?

When removing the VCRS module always unplug the receiver first,never while powered up. Can you enter the setup menu? If it is possible look at the authorization status. You could also try a rehit from your provider on sat G5 and watch the trip counter to see if it takes it.

I can get to see the DSR 922 menu/setup althought the picture looks very messed up, scrambled shall I say. I can make out the option to press "9" for VCII Menu, all the while the screen is dancing. But when I select 9 I see a message that VCII not found, can not continue. It all seems to be a bad connection of some sort.

it does act like it doesn't see the vcII board ( or the vcII board could be dead)
can you remove the vcII board and use a pencil eracer on the contacts to clean them and reinsert it.

""can you remove the vcII board and use a pencil eracer on the contacts to clean them and reinsert it""

Done that also. Checked battery and it was OK.

I did replace the old 35 degree LNB with a 13degree.. Could I have rotated it 180 degrees out of position?

On the DSR-922 that I just got a couple of weeks ago second hand, when trying to push 9 on a VCII channel to setup the VCII board, the screen says VCII board not found.

When I had it authorized, NPS had me to go to channel 19 on G1 I think , and it came up not authorized with the ID number, and when they hit it, she had me move to G1 channel 21, and it worked fine.

Just doesn't have any setup for the board that came with it.

Fred

it could be ,but then you put everything out 180 so h becomes V but if this was the case then you wouldn't see the clear analog channels cause it would swap the transponders polarity. do you have another vcII board or another vcII receiver you can just hook up and see if it will get the VCII channels

when you are on the VCII channel with the 922 does the VC light come on (it probably doesn't) if you tune a digicipher channel does the DC light come on.

Do you have the VC light on the front panel when on a VCII station? If not, the 922 does not see a VC signal being received. Have you tried G5-24 which is VCII but clear? If the VCII was working but slowly went away, it could be an electronic part on the VCII board slowly died from age or overheating. It doesn't sound like an LNB problem since the other channels are coming in. Good luck.

First off left me express my stupidity as I can't really figure out where to post this. I have a DRS 922 that seems to work properly , at least on digital channels. Unscrambled analogue is also ok. My problem when I try to access a scrambled analogue signal I get a very mixed up screen but have been able to play with the settings to the point where I see a message telling me that the VCII+ module was not found. This all started slowly and at first I was getting the good reception of the scrambled signals. But then the picture would go away and I had to turn off the device and reseat the VCII+ module. But the problem got progressively worse. Not I can't get any VCII+ scrabbled channels, but unscrambled work fine. My module has a good (for now ) battery and valid ID. Help, any ideas?

If you determine the VCII board is bad , PM me , I think I have 1 or 2 working boards .

Wyr

Additional Information.

After more experimentation I believe that I have an explanation for what is going on with my system. There is also a peice of things that I haven't shared yet, only because I didn't deem it important.. When I first recieved my 922 it had been damaged in transit despite the attempts of the seller to package it. It had been dropped on the corner and the area on the rear pannel where the removable power cover protrudes from the case. The results of this was a bent rear pannel which I straightend out with little problem. Now however I can see the the fall twisted the entire case and not just the rear pannel. if one plays with the VC module in its bay you can see how the tendancy is for the module to slip in at an angle. I believe that I will have to open the unit and bend the part of the bracket that holds the "slot" connector for the VC module. This is the reason for the bad connection and picture working for a while and then slipping away. I will inform of further results

Doug
so is it possible to give the module a slight twist and make connection. is it possible to shim the module so it fits the twist better , these might be a better option rather than trying to twist or straighten the chassie back out. For a $1 you can get several sections ( wedges) of wood to test this out with.

Last edited:
Well I was able to confirm my suspitions. By bending the cage slightly I was able to allow the module enough room to seat properly. I'm so happy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts